Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Apartment Early, No Lease

Options
  • 30-09-2017 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey all,

I moved into a house in Ballyfermot last month with an understanding that I would live there one year, however I never signed a lease. Since then I've found I quite dislike living here and would like to leave early, giving a couple months early. Will I have any trouble getting my security deposit back?

Sincerely,
    Padraig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You have moved in so are probably under some obligation to the landlord. Can you find someone to take your place?

We're you meant to be signing a lease? Or did the LL just not want to bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

They would have the right to hold onto any missing weeks between you moving out and another taking the room.

Also if you didn't write down meter readings for electricity or gas they could hold onto some of it to cover that.

You've no written agreement but it could be argued that you have an implied one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 padraigIV

It never came up, in fact I've been dealing not with the LL for the most part but with a long-term tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 padraigIV

Graybottle, if I could line up a replacement tenant would there be any risk of them holding onto the security deposit?

I was thinking of leaving at the end of December, giving us plenty of time to find a replacement, though I don't know what the housing market is like around then. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

If you get a replacement tenant you should get your deposit back as the wouldn't be any loss of rent to the landlord.

• Advertisement
Advertisement