Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel refund?

Options
  • 30-09-2017 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Several months ago I booked a semi well known hotel in Dublin close to the 3arena as I knew I was attending an event well in advance.. On the morning of the event while on route to Dublin I got a call to confirm the room as it was made almost 8 months in advance to which I did confirm.. When I arrived at 6pm I was on my way to said hotel when I was called and told my room was no longer available.. And that they were putting me in another hotel with similar room quality but 25 minutes walk away from the 3 arena and from where I was right then as I was almost at the hotel, I protested due to the distance away but since the event was starting at 8pm I had no choice but to take it and walk there with my luggage as it wasn't on the luas line and I didn't have cash on me to get a taxi.. On my diverted route to the event I rang them and asked would they be so kind as to provide a taxi from my new hotel to the 3 arena as I was rushing and would be late as I needed to shower etc. So they obliged but stated I would only get a taxi to the 3 arena but not be getting a taxi after the event back to the hotel.. Again I protested without being too unkind to the girl on the phone as none of this is her fault but I didn't want to be walking the streets of Dublin late at night by myself as the reason I booked the hotel close to the 3 arena in the first place. In the end I couldn't get my own taxi after the event and was walking back at night for 25 minutes to my dismay as it's something I'm not comfortable which I voiced the following day to their customer service line to which they replied if you took the room then the matter is ultimately closed.. Seeing as it was already 6pm I had no chance to rebook any other place in the vicinity and was not provided with what I booked months in advance.. Can I claim for a refund because of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Get in touch with the hotel and ask? They provided you with an alternative, which you accepted. It'll really depends on the t&C's you accepted when booking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP, I've moved your thread to consumer issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

At the very least they should have provided a taxi to and from the 3arena considering you picked it specifically due to its location and that the room was confirmed just a few hours previously and booked months in advance.

Possibly settle for a voucher for a free night?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't think you are entitled to anything but I'd definitely write to the hotel you originally booked with. I would expect them to offer you a two night stay with evening meal on the house as a good will gesture. It's unlikely that they will offer a refund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

You arrive at 6pm, they don't have a room. They give you a refund and show you the door.

You'd be happy with that???? Seriously????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I would expect them to offer you a two night stay with evening meal on the house as a good will gesture.

You're joking right? That's some gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

No, you cannot, as you accepted their resolution and weren't actually out of pocket.

You are however entitled to threaten them with, and give them a one-star review on tripadvisor, hotels.com, google places, and any other site you can think of if they're unwilling to settle your grievence satisfactorily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I would continued onto the hotel left luggage with them gone to point and sorted it afterwards. There are always rooms free in a hotel, just not the ones you or i can afford.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Doesn't go far enough. I'd be looking for someone's firstborn.

In fairness though, epic failure by the hotel. All taxis should've been covered, then we'd be squared.

Wow - hotels would love if all customers were as easily pleased. They'd be overbooking every day and then choosing those who paid highest rate for the rooms.

Michael O'Leary would love if affected Ryanair passengers had similar attitude - sorry flight cancelled, here's a refund, see ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

If a room is confirmed and paid for, how the hell can they give it away to someone else? Esp without penalty.

It's often burried in T&Cs :
    E.g.
    We hope and expect to be able to provide you with all the services that we have confirmed with you at the time of your booking. However, on occasions changes may have to be made and Limerick City Hotels reserve the right to make those changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,023 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Back when hotels weren't full every night that wouldn't have been that unheard of really. However you'd be limited to using it at really, really quiet times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That's pretty standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mangelooooo

That's what I'm thinking... I literally would have let it go but they were so unaccommodating about the whole thing and since then I feel like there needs to be some kind of reprimand for this... If anyone knows of any type of consumer right I can push so they know they can just do this again and again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I would continued onto the hotel left luggage with them gone to point and sorted it afterwards. There are always rooms free in a hotel, just not the ones you or i can afford.

That is hilariously false.

That is hilariously false.

No hotel in its right mind runs at 100% occupancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Hotel near the 3 arena on a night of a popular show with probably inflated prices....I would not be so certain.

The pricing may have been a factor in the cancellation of an early booking. It would be interesting to know if there was a price hike since the booking.

No specific rights - I'd get name of hotel manager and write explaining how disappointed you were with how it was handled and that you incurred extra expense due to the change in booking and ask if this expense can be refunded.

Any decent manager will reply with a far better resolution than just a couple of taxi fares.

Basically play nice, be polite, show you are potentially still a customer and the response should be far better than trying to force anything.

Write rather than email, but include an email address and phone number for reply.

Any decent manager will reply with a far better resolution than just a couple of taxi fares.

Basically play nice, be polite, show you are potentially still a customer and the response should be far better than trying to force anything.

Write rather than email, but include an email address and phone number for reply.

I've tried.. 3 times I've asked to be put in contact with someone over the phone not through email who can hear of my situation.. And 3 times they have suggested that the matter is closed and an offer of 10% later upping to 20% off my next stay there is all that is on offer.. I've reject the offers and requested that they confirm the following so I have it on record

1) that through no fault of my own was my room which was booked several months in advance given away at 6pm on the day I was meant to stay

2) that no room was given within proximity of the 3 arena or was transport provided from the 3 arena after the event I was attending

And they havn't replied to me... 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I worked at the desk for a 5 star hotel in south Dublin for two years... I think the best I managed one night 109%.
    Hotels run at 100% all the time.

I worked at the desk for a 5 star hotel in south Dublin for two years... I think the best I managed one night 109%.
    Hotels run at 100% all the time.

You obviously weren't at full capacity if you could run at 109%, hence you weren't at 100% capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You obviously weren't at full capacity if you could run at 109%, hence you weren't at 100% capacity.

Some hotels let the rooms during the day for meetings n’ such, the guess clear out, the room is turned around and sold again for the night

Happens a lot at airport hotels

You can get above 100% this way

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

I had a similar situation at a Cork hotel a few years back. A bus tour got in ahead of me and they had more people than they booked rooms for. I got moved to a different hotel. To be fair, they offered me a voucher for dinner in their hotel on the spot. A but of protesting got me the dinner and a nights B&B!

oakshade wrote: »
    I had a similar situation at a Cork hotel a few years back. A bus tour got in ahead of me and they had more people than they booked rooms for. I got moved to a different hotel. To be fair, they offered me a voucher for dinner in their hotel on the spot. A but of protesting got me the dinner and a nights B&B!

Yeah I understand it can happen.. But the fact that the hotel seem to dismiss how much it inconvenienced my whole night that I don't want to just let them away with it.. If anyone has any advice of what to say when they do get back to me that would be great!

• Advertisement

Advertisement