Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage for new build: requesting your ideas

Options
  • 30-09-2017 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all -

I'm mortgaged-approved by Haven (AIB). I'm interested in buying a house in a small development but it is not built yet. My broker informs me that Haven will probably not finance me for such a house, and will probably only finance me for an already-built house. Two of the four houses in the development are already built (and sold), and the house I'm interested in will be complete in the summer.

The payment structure: you pay for the site + 10% of the cost of the house (approx. 1/3 of the total), and then you pay the remainder upon completion of the build (approx. 2/3 of the total).

I'd love to find a work-around. Any ideas? 

I suppose one approach would be to pay the first 1/3 with cash, and then hope that when it's complete that the bank will give me a mortgage for the remainder. Obviously, that's very risky as I would lose the 1/3 if I couldn't get a mortgage for the remainder. Unless my solicitor can write up a contract for that?

Anyway, any ideas you may have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Con

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It might be worth exploring some of the self build mortgage products, they'd be more used to handling the type of staged payments you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Thanks Graham.

The catch is that I'm a non-resident and they only want to finance the likes of me for a house that's already built. 

Any ideas for a workaround!? This might take some creativity :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Interestingly, seems they are at least willing to hear my case. I hadn't expected as much. Will let you know when I know more. 

Thanks for your inputs, Graham.

Advertisement