Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parthenaise cattle.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Not a thing wrong with those cattle! I'll try to get a couple of photos of our ones with PT breeding later on today. Giving heavy rain so it could be more a case of lash out meal and run back for the tractor!

Not sure what the quality of the picture is going to be like for you it's coming out massive on my comp but here's a pic of a lim x pt heifer's calf. She got bulled young on us and he ended up a side door job. She calved at maybe 450 kgs at 18/19 months but produced by far our best calf last year. He's around 14 months now. She is only around 520 kgs or so now but calved on her own. Really good calf but not quite as flashy yet anyhow, he's only a week or so.429705.jpg

There were a half a dozen in our local mart yesterday. Fella beside me asked me did I know who had as many jerseys! Weren't bad cattle, bad prices. Would make me have a bit of a rethink. Keeping heifers as replacements and finishing bullocks might be best boys in Mart don't like them. Sims bad trade too

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pure breed

Have been trying to get a couple Parthenaise heifers via the AI this year and last year. Ended up with 2 bulls last year and 2 Bulls this Autumn as well.:(
    Ive pics below of this years 2 Bulls outta CH cows. Sired by ZGH 'Gonzo'
    410.jpg
    542.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

pure breed wrote: »
    Have been trying to get a couple Parthenaise heifers via the AI this year and last year. Ended up with 2 bulls last year and 2 Bulls this Autumn as well.:(
    Ive pics below of this years 2 Bulls outta CH cows. Sired by ZGH 'Gonzo'
    410.jpg
    542.JPG
    Nice outfit all the same.
    Those yellow CH are great cows, good colour there too

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pure breed

Nice outfit all the same. Those yellow CH are great cows, good colour there too

Unfortunately the calves don't keep that colour, the PT Bull off same cow last year turned a brown/black colour(like Gonzo himself) after few months.

They seem to work alright with the continental type cow but I'm now wary of crossing with anything black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Was 2 nice fawn coloured heifers in local Mart tonight, 320kg e820. If I wasn't locked up I would have had a stab at them. Looked really nice stock and I wouldn't have thought them dear at that.

Was 2 nice fawn coloured heifers in local Mart tonight, 320kg e820. If I wasn't locked up I would have had a stab at them. Looked really nice stock and I wouldn't have thought them dear at that.
    That's my point. I don't think you get their value selling. Better colour from continental cows anything else I think I'd finish. Not a big fan of the bull calves I think Lim has much more growth potential. I like heifer replacements but Lim would do that job just as well.

• Advertisement

Took a wee picture of that lady and this year's cub. He's about a month old now and I think he's gonna be a belter. Love these cattle as replacements anyhow.430388.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Calving in the spring as is I don't think she'll rear a kitten but on paper she's the business

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Calving in the spring as is I don't think she'll rear a kitten but on paper she's the business

She's bzb

Saw a Parthenaise heifer selling at a special suckler recently. I think she made around €1750. Seriously quiet heifer.

She’s a pet too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Saw a Parthenaise heifer selling at a special suckler recently. I think she made around €1750. Seriously quiet heifer.

Deleted the above by accident.

Wow seems like a lot do you remember the details? Good Lim heifer 425 kgs yesterday 790 stg

• Advertisement

Sold our ch bullock out of pt heifer last week. 17 mths, 600 kgs made £1550 and took second prize store bullock

Anyone have a problem with these cattle being nervy and highly strung? I posted about one on this thread. 3rd calver 550kgs. I half jammed hervwith a gate and was putting pour on on her. She spun like lightning and kicked me flinging me to the ground. I should’ve known better and just put her in the crush but still. We’ve another couple and they’re all very jumpy and irritable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Anyone have a problem with these cattle being nervy and highly strung? I posted about one on this thread. 3rd calver 550kgs. I half jammed hervwith a gate and was putting pour on on her. She spun like lightning and kicked me flinging me to the ground. I should’ve known better and just put her in the crush but still. We’ve another couple and they’re all very jumpy and irritable

Ya I think I said it in this thread before. The few we had were flighty

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

As a general observation I find that Continentals especially LM, SA, PA ect tend to have a lower stress threshold and "spook" easier than other breeds. There easily riled and tend to get agitated in situations that other breeds aren't phased by imo. This is of course a generalization and there are exceptions to every rule. It's important to always be cautious around stock regardless of breed or passed behavior although it is very easy to become complacent. The wildest bullock I've encountered of late was a white head SIM out an AA cow so there's good and bad in every breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭n1st

Beautiful steers. A delight to rear.

I have just one amongst 24 other cattle. He follows me around and will lick your hand. I find him very handy as the other cattle will follow him, makes herding into pen very easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Agree oats precalving minerals and hay are a must

Have Charolais calves here and are up as quickly as the other breeds

The thing with Limo is they could be the same size as the Charolais but are a nice bit lighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

+1 always just fed silage here, it took a while to find a good mineral to feed but, when we did, calves were then up and sucking in no time.

even used to spray tincture of iodine on their shoulder once a week for the last month of pregnancy to get more iodine into them

Advertisement