Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience required for livery?

Options
  • 30-09-2017 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone,
    I'd be very grateful to get your thoughts on my situation. I'm in a position at long last where I can afford to buy and keep a pony/horse (for my son and me to share). I've ridden on and off since I was 5 (I'm now 42) but have never leased/owned a horse before. I've done cross country and (mock) hunting in my day but would consider myself only intermediate level now due to taking of long breaks, and my own abilities. I don't come from a horsey background, and I'm not talented in any sense, but have I loved them all my life, now more than ever. I currently take regular lessons and hacks and have done two brief stable management courses. What I'm wondering is whether a yard requires you to be a certain level to keep a horse with them. I'm very worried that if I ask about livery (where I currently ride, or anywhere else) they will tell me I'm not experienced enough or good enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Never heard of a livery yard requiring an experience level to keep a horse there ...

Get some absolute beginners keeping their horse here and the livery yard helps them learn and lessons on their own horse and schoolies.

Jut don't show up with a green 3 year old off the track TB ... a livery yard doesn't want that kinda liability with an inexperienced owner :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

Honestly? why would you have this feeling that you wouldn't be welcome if not "good" enough? unless of course you want to join a yard that only keep high level competition horses and riders.. If the livery you are thinking of gives you this kind of feeling, just find another one :D but the best thing would be for you to have a chat with the yard owner, which you will obviously have before boarding your pony/horse.

You don't seem to have bought your horse or pony yet, as it is always highly recommended, get some advice from an experienced rider/breeder, who will probably also know a few yards and will be able to help you enjoy your future horsey life!

Have fun.. that's the main thing, isn't it?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Pretty much every livery yard I know taking liveries won't expect a high level of experience from the potential client. Obviously basics is good, but as others have said you'll gain lots of experience as you are down in the yard and soon you'll be able to class yourself as experienced :D

And usually it doesn't matter what type of horse you have. Yes, it should meet your requirements and, most importantly, be suitable for the rider, but the comment regarding the 3 year old ex racehorse is a little bit excessive. No novice should have a young horse, regardless of any previous life it may have had!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

convert wrote: »
    Pretty much every livery yard I know taking liveries won't expect a high level of experience from the potential client. Obviously basics is good, but as others have said you'll gain lots of experience as you are down in the yard and soon you'll be able to class yourself as experienced :D

And usually it doesn't matter what type of horse you have. Yes, it should meet your requirements and, most importantly, be suitable for the rider, but the comment regarding the 3 year old ex racehorse is a little bit excessive. No novice should have a young horse, regardless of any previous life it may have had!

Tongue in cheek I assure you. Using an extreme to show of an example where experience may be required on a livery yard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EQR

I've never known a livery yard to have a basic level of experience required - quite the opposite most yards welcome all levels and are there to help clients as much as they can. I think the only time it may be an issue if if you had a client who didnt want to learn / listen to advice and insisted on doing something dangerous and you certainly don't sound like that given you have already come on here for advise :) If you go to meet a livery yard to see if it suits you maybe bring up that you are not too experienced and see how they can help you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LegOn

I would just say make sure you chose the right livery yard then more than them choosing you!

Some livery yards it can be very much of case of do your own thing with no involvement from the YO or staff & sometimes they might not even be around at all at the times you are riding so you might be on your own. Be upfront with whatever yard you choose & say you would be looking for help & see what they offer - some yards have a riding school on them already which can be handy for plenty of help around when you need it but they can often be busier type yards.

It can be good to see if a yard offers schooling livery - if you are at a stage with your horse when you are finding something tricky, being able to put them on schooling livery for a week where someone experienced rides them for you & then gives you advise on how you are riding & improving your connection with the horse, this can be invaluable. Just make sure there are options if you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Honeydish

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. I'm delighted to say that I bought a 13 yo gelding at the yard where I've been riding for a few years. He is a total sweetheart, and has been privately owned there for 8 years (owner moving abroad). Everything is going well, he's easy to handle and very reliable. We were in the arena today with the queen brood mare and he got a bit excited but apart from that he hasn't put a foot wrong. (And if I was more experienced I'm sure it wouldn't even have arisen). Thanks again everyone!

Advertisement