Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and Cons of Distance Membership

Options
  • 30-09-2017 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Has anybody joined a club as a distance member to avail of the cheapest way to get a GUI card? Obviously their are negatives like being unable to pop out for a quick 6 holes or whatever. But is it a no brainer if you play a lot of Open competitions anyway? I am interested to hear peoples opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

A con would obv be not being able to Win Captain's/President's Prize or any other big comps that only full members can play in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Cons
    Can't win 'majors'
    Makes midweek summer golf near impossible
    The above practically also rules you out of the annual matchplay comps
    Probably slightly abusing what distance memberships are meant for
    Using bar card money will be problematic w driving

Pros
    Value
    Wide choice, could pick something really nice
    If you're a weekend only golfer the midweek summer problem may not bother you

If you're a genuine distance member, yes, but I wouldn't advocate it purely for the bargain hunting side of it. Clubs need the support from full members, thats how they can make 'opens' available in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

A few items I didn't think about. That is what bothers me though, all that extra stuff costs even more money, it adds up to another membership premium very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Chances of winning a captains or presidents in a given year probably worse than 1 in 100, so really, not that big a deal and hardly a make or break factor in the decision. There is super value to be had in that field at the moment.
    The bottom line is distance. This is the one which is where the value has to be considered. Do you want to commute for your likely weekly game. Do you want to play several games a week, or 6 or 9 in the evening or whatever. If not, and keeping a valid handicap and playing 20-30 weekends a year + opens more local to you is the aim, then its worth considering. 50km seems to be a number some clubs are putting on it. If fuel/time equation makes your golf viable then go for it.

Its not abusing the market in todays world - many clubs are angling for this very custom.
    Sure, its not the distance membership of yore - keeping membership in your hometown club in the otherside of the country for the occasional game when visiting or whatever - but the world changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

tbayers wrote: »
    A few items I didn't think about. That is what bothers me though, all that extra stuff costs even more money, it adds up to another membership premium very quickly.

There are costs. If the option is a €2000 local membership, or a distance for a couple of hundred if you do want some sort of genuine 'club' aspect to your golf rather than just a handicap gateway, then it may suit. If its a question of a full country membership of €600 as many are these days, then, country for 200 or so is likely not worth it. Better off just paying the 600 for your local one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

If u are based in Dublin then there are plenty of cheap membership options.
    Bellewstown and Corballis for example.
    If u pay 200 down the country 3 trips to keep the handicap will quickly add up in time and fuel.
    Hard enough to get weekend opens as well and unless your off midweek there are none for the rest of the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Its not abusing the market in todays world - many clubs are angling for this very custom.
    Sure, its not the distance membership of yore - keeping membership in your hometown club in the otherside of the country for the occasional game when visiting or whatever - but the world changes.

I don't agree with you there. I think it's just how you try to justify it for yourself but it doesn't make it right. Cos modern days or not golf requires a vast manicured playing field and that just takes money to build and maintain. People undercutting the true cost of golf regardless whether they're the supplier or the customer don't do the sport any favours. What they're doing is for the bargain or the quick buck but they don't care if what they're doing is sustainable, they're like the Uber of golf.

Sorry if that sounds a bit strong but thats how I feel about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Distance membership can work for some people and as long as it’s not abused and used just for a handicap, I reckon the clubs offering it welcome the extra few euro every year.

For example, my work is 50mins from home, my club is a further 15 mins from work. I can’t play many weekends as my kids are involved in other sports so it’s mid week golf for me. This situation suits me perfectly, few holes after work and open day on a Thursday. I do head over for a few of the Sunday opens and some winter league rounds and often have food / tea in the clubhouse. I definitely don’t use it just for handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sneeky1986

i was a distance member for a year in a club close to my work. the obvious con is your not going to get to play in captains. the biggest plus and the reason i did it was to get my gui hcap and be able to play in the open competitions at various courses closer to home and surronding my club. i work shift work so i rarley get off at weekends to play club competitions so paying big membership fees are not good value when im only playing 3-4 times a month. but with distance membership i can still be gui and play midweek opens for good membership price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Do Dublin clubs offer distant membership?

• Advertisement
Advertisement