Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting to the router config page through wireless?

Options
  • 30-09-2017 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

I should know this but it has me beat.

I can put in the modem/router address (192.168.1.1) when I have laptop linked up to router by LAN cable fine with no problems whatsoever. - But if i am away from the router and want to link up to config page it tries to connect for about a minute and says it cannot connect (check connections etc ,,) how comes I can get to the config page fine by LAN Cable (ethernet) but not by wi-fi? - strange that. - I have checked firewall settings and even turned off firewall briefly to see if it was that blocking it and it isnt.

Its a vodafone hg658C modem by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sevenie

Well I got to my Router by wireless by putting this in the browser address bar.
    http://192.168.1.254/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Sevenie wrote: »
    Well I got to my Router by wireless by putting this in the browser address bar.
    http://192.168.1.254/

Thanks for reply. no I have just tried that , cant get in on that either. Pretty sure the address on mine is definatly 192.168.1.1

almost like some setting like a security setting on the router is allowing me to invoke the settings by ethernet but not by wi-fi - but i cant find it

cannot remember if I have ever managed to ever get into this vodafone router before by wireless. I know I could definitely do it on my previous Thompson router by LAN and wireless to set it up

But as you say maybe wireless disabled for security reasons on this hg658c vodafone one

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you using the Guest Wifi instead of the regular one?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Are you using the Guest Wifi instead of the regular one?

I login using the user name admin and password admin when i connect by ethernet cable - cannot even get the login page up when I try to connect by wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I login using the user name admin and password admin when i connect by ethernet cable - cannot even get the login page up when I try to connect by wireless

If you're on the guest wifi it shouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Has your laptop, or anything else, ever been able to detect the new modem's wireless network? If not, it does sound as if its wireless has been turned off.

Some modem routers have a switch/button on them for this, and with some it has to be done via the settings. It might be switched off by default for security while setting up, though I gather most ISP-supplied ones err in the other direction if anything (and security needs enabling ASAP).

If you're still stuck after trying general things, the Talk to Vodafone forum on Boards should be able to answer any questions re your particular router model. (The 'Talk to' forums often seem to resolve problems more quickly than those on the carriers' own websites).

thnks all - but ciouldnt remedy this problem on the HG658 so i admitted defeat and found an old Belkin Wireless N Router and I can access the setup/config page by Ethernet cable and Wireless so I most probably stick with that now. - Still very strange I cannot access the Huawei HG 658 by wireless though - it just must be a specific security measure for that router.

On this belkin one I have passworded the config page so that even if someone logs onto it wirelessly they wont be able to get in to set any of the settings without the router password

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I've been learning about this kind of networking arrangement myself, having recently got my first wireless modem router, which is between my existing Linksys wlan and the internet.

I don't know what you tried with the Huawei, but maybe you found a wireless on/off switch on the outside of it, but it didn't seem to work? My new modem router is also a Huawei; a different model, but I couldn't get the wireless ('Wlan') switch to work, until I stumbled on an instruction on the web to keep it pressed for 10-20 seconds. So I gave it at least 30 to be sure, and it worked. There was no immediate sign that it had, as it was a minute or two before the display showed the change to the wifi light being (in my case) off.

• Advertisement

Fogmatic wrote: »
    I've been learning about this kind of networking arrangement myself, having recently got my first wireless modem router, which is between my existing Linksys wlan and the internet.

I don't know what you tried with the Huawei, but maybe you found a wireless on/off switch on the outside of it, but it didn't seem to work? My new modem router is also a Huawei; a different model, but I couldn't get the wireless ('Wlan') switch to work, until I stumbled on an instruction on the web to keep it pressed for 10-20 seconds. So I gave it at least 30 to be sure, and it worked. There was no immediate sign that it had, as it was a minute or two before the display showed the change to the wifi light being (in my case) off.

thanks, I was getting Wlan perfectly on it. - it was just trying to get the setup/configuration homepage I could get through wireless but i could when i connected the ethernet cable to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Sparko

Not sure if you're still trying to get to the bottom of this, but just in case it helps - I have the same Vodafone modem/router and can reach the settings page via WiFi with no problems, and has worked like that from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is there a setting called something like "access point isolation" or the like? If you download the Fing app on your phone and run a scan do other devices show up?

Advertisement