Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monarch ceases operations, UK CAA running repatriation flights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

On another day, would FR have been in a position to profit from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wrex

A real shame, my childhood memories of going on the annual summer holiday was flying with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

On another day, would FR have been in a position to profit from this?

They'd be offering capped price tickets on all routes they competed on, adding flights and boasting about rescuing people - as they did with Malev, Spanair etc. They're not even able to do it for Air Berlin as it winds down either

The MAX delivery slots will be very useful for whoever gets them, Boeing would have to buy them back off the liquidator I think as they should be able to sell them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

marno21 wrote:
    2 Qatar A320s now airborne from STN, likely to fly the return flights from IBZ for the 2 cancelled outbounds.

marno21 wrote:
    Showing as BAW9200 and BAW9201 on FR24.

Does this suggest that IAG have taken over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

kub wrote: »
    Does this suggest that IAG have taken over?

No, just that BA are operating some rescue flights. I actually think that as a UK carrier they have an obligation to assist in matters such as this. U2 are also flying rescue flights.

QR are there only because they have A320's in the area due to the BA leases in the summer season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Hopefully there'll be jobs for Airbus drivers in Wizz, Wow, Easy, and Aer Lingus!!

Will the respective business people be on to leasing companies looking for some mates rates to take 35 Airbus aircraft off their hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Will the respective business people be on to leasing companies looking for some mates rates to take 35 Airbus aircraft off their hands?

Leasing companies wont have an issue getting them leased out, they wont need to charge mates rates. In fact the quick nature of their availability might bring a premium... These aren't old airbus aircraft!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

Sad news indeed. I once traveled with them on a charter on my first ever trip on an A300 (and likely my only ever trip on the type).

g-mons-monarch-airlines-airbus-a300b4-605r_PlanespottersNet_271369.jpg

I have fond memories of old G-MONS there and of the Monarch flight crews who took care of us. I really hope they won't have long to wait to find new jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Moving from charter flights into the ultra competitive low-cost scheduled model was the downfall of this airline. I always assumed they were a charter airline like the old Futura up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sad to see, we used Monarch last year for our family holiday to Lanzarote from Manchester (they had wet leased an A320 (pic I took at Arrecife Airport below))

Monarch_Airlines_Airbus_A320_YL-_LCP_9th_July_2016_at_Arrecife_Ai.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Doltanian wrote: »
    Moving from charter flights into the ultra competitive low-cost scheduled model was the downfall of this airline. I always assumed they were a charter airline like the old Futura up until now.

It might be partly the problem however charter services are not particularly big money spinners anymore. Personalty I think Jet 2 over the last few years have ratcheted up the pressure and ZB were unable to respond particularly well. This was I think the third time the licence went down to the wire.

After 49 years it's a big loss, I don't think staff will have any major issues finding new employment. I am sure a lot will head to easyjet among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CroFag

Such sad news :( I booked a flight with them recently. It is below the cost of 100£ that credit card companies usually cover. Is there any chance I might get my money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

CroFag wrote: »
    Such sad news :( I booked a flight with them recently. It is below the cost of 100£ that credit card companies usually cover. Is there any chance I might get my money back?

Your credit card company sometimes cover items less than the £100 threshold, contact them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

no particular help, but monarch.caa.co.uk has info on how this is being handled - I don't fully understand what it meant by them not having an ATOL since last winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

Just looking at the latest issue of Airliner World and noticed it has a piece on Monarch Aircraft Engineering. Will they be affected too?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shpudnik wrote: »
    Just looking at the latest issue of Airliner World and noticed it has a piece on Monarch Aircraft Engineering. Will they be affected too?

They are currently not impacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I'm waiting for a statement from Michael O'Leary saying they have planes on standby if needed with seats going for only 1.99.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'm waiting for a statement from Michael O'Leary saying they have planes on standby if needed with seats going for only 1.99.

They have plenty of planes/seats, just nobody to take them anywhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Graham wrote: »

Exactly, but i can see lots of these Monarch pilots in new jobs within a few weeks.
    This is probably a god send for O'Leary in that he'll get his new pilots from Monarch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭cml387

Listening to Radio 4 this morning at seven o'clock the first item of news was the Monarch closure and the "stranded" passengers to be repatriated. The word "stranded" was used a few times in the report.

Then we had an girl "stranded" in Palma who Did Not Know What She Was Going To Do.

Finally we had the chairperson of the CAA who was not only able to confirm that there were contingency plan in place to return passengers , she could even confirm that the Palma flight would leave at the same time as the cancelled Monarch and took vigorous expection to the "stranded", pointing out that no one was stranded. The word was dropped form further bulletins.

Which demonstrates how the media love to whip up fear and anxiety, and you would have thought better of BBC Radio's flagship current affairs programme.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Graham wrote: »

Exactly, but i can see lots of these Monarch pilots in new jobs within a few weeks.
    This is probably a god send for O'Leary in that he'll get his new pilots from Monarch.
    I don't think so, the Monarch pilots would require costly training, which I can't see Ryanair footing the cost for. Meanwhile in the UK, Easyjet, Wizzair and BA all who fly the same aircraft as Monarch are and will be recruiting shortly. Easyjet have already set their recruitment team the task of chasing Monarch staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Not really as Monarch is currently a Airbus shop bar an odd 737

Aer Lingus are
    A) Looking for more aircraft from next year
    B) About to go out to hire 200 pilots, and pilots with A320 type rating will be flooding the market with Monarch, Alitalia and Air Berlin all either gone or going, so quick conversion and some base training. Whereas to fly the 737 is a full type rating course

So looks good for EI, not so good for FR

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wrex

. Whereas to fly the 737 is a full type rating course

Just out of interest how long does that take?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

In the last few minutes Virgin Atlantic have also extended a special recruitment drive for Monarch pilots.
    Sorry Ryanair... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not really as Monarch is currently a Airbus shop bar an odd 737

Aer Lingus are
    A) Looking for more aircraft from next year
    B) About to go out to hire 200 pilots, and pilots with A320 type rating will be flooding the market with Monarch, Alitalia and Air Berlin all either gone or going, so quick conversion and some base training. Whereas to fly the 737 is a full type rating course

So looks good for EI, not so good for FR

200 seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

200 crew to be recruited asap, I heard that myself, not sure if it's all pilots as was not made clear if cabin crew included

Long haul fleet is now 5 more A330 than 4 years ago, that's a lot of pilots needed and leaves a big gap.

Some minor issues over the summer with shortages of pilots, ASL did operate a few 757 short haul jobs.

Sad to see Monarch go, by all accounts the last of the independent airlines of the 60's left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Aer Lingus now circling.

Copied from their twitter just now.

#Monarch pilots: Let's talk! Hourly open information sessions for Airbus type-rated pilots. Radisson Manchester Airport, Tue 3 Oct, 9am-3pm

Its a bad day, but both Easyjet and Aer Lingus are offering an olive branch for Airbus type rated pilots, fair play to them getting setup so quickly to have something in place.

No matter which way it goes Monarch will be sliced up so there won't be a seat for everyone if BA or Wizz grab the fleet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Speaking of setup for this eventuality, the CAA seem we’ll prepared too - I wonder is this a general readiness or specific to Monarch’s expected demise

Advertisement