Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monarch ceases operations, UK CAA running repatriation flights

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dardania wrote: »
    Speaking of setup for this eventuality, the CAA seem we’ll prepared too - I wonder is this a general readiness or specific to Monarch’s expected demise

Entirely because it was expected, and aided hugely by QR having so much slack and it generally being non peak season

If an airline went bang unexpectedly in June there'd be mayhem. QR won't be down this much forever either

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Nice to see EI reach out to ZB pilots and set up interviews in MAN tomorrow,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Worked with them a bit when they had their Dublin base and a 757 out of here during the summer.

Gutted to see them go. An airline I really liked :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

i'm flying to Portugal on Thursday with ryanair but coming back, well ment to be to luton on sunday morning with monarch to catch a connecting flight to knock, they say they're flying all who have booked home before the 15th, wondering would it be worth the chance of taking that chance and arriving at airport Sunday morning in portugal ???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

i'm flying to Portugal on Thursday with ryanair but coming back, well ment to be to luton on sunday morning with monarch to catch a connecting flight to knock, they say they're flying all who have booked home before the 15th, wondering would it be worth the chance of taking that chance and arriving at airport Sunday morning in portugal ???

Hmm that's a tough one. Is the cut off point for rescue flights the 14? Or 15th?

Also I'd bear in mind they rescue flights may not actually operate to the same schedule as your original booking, so connection flights can't be guaranteed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Locker10a wrote: »
    Hmm that's a tough one. Is the cut off point for rescue flights the 14? Or 15th?

Also I'd bear in mind they rescue flights may not actually operate to the same schedule as your original booking, so connection flights can't be guaranteed[/QUOTE

Sunday is the 8th so i'm well inside that time frame, i wouldn't mind what airport in the UK i get back to as long as i get out of Portugal, i'll get a handy flight back to ireland from most of UK airports, the Faro - Luton trip is the biggy , all other flights are booked out or looking for 450 one way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Sunday is the 8th so i'm well inside that time frame, i wouldn't mind what airport in the UK i get back to as long as i get out of Portugal, i'll get a handy flight back to ireland from most of UK airports, the Faro - Luton trip is the biggy , all other flights are booked out or looking for 450 one way!!

I cant find the link but I read a statement from the CAA stating that all passengers booked until the 15th will have a flight back to the UK (Not out) at the same schedule as before.

Their was also a news report on the BBC where the reported kept using the word stranded and the CAA rep was quick, and firm to point out that no one is stranded and everyone currently away can finish their holidays and travel home at the same time as booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Indeed I'm not sure why you're worried about it, you'll be automatically rebooked on the replacement flight which will likely even depart at the same time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Looks like an a321 about to land at Shannon on instructions of the lessor. Not an uncommon occurance at Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

G-ZBAR, G-OZBI,G-OZBF,G-ZBAG,G-OZBH all for Shannon.

• Advertisement

G-OZBF on finals to SNN right now, was in it last week, sad to see its ending its time at Monarch, along with the rest of the fleet

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Locker10a wrote: »
    G-OZBF on finals to SNN right now, was in it last week, sad to see its ending its time at Monarch, along with the rest of the fleet

G-ZBAG is not too far behind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

Since deleted but I can't believe someone thought it was a good idea to post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

john boye wrote: »
    Since deleted but I can't believe someone thought it was a good idea to post this.

They’re probably pretty proud their rescue operation is being executed - they probably sit on these plans for years without ever testing if they work.

Bit of a tactless / tasteless tweet though - it’d be like NAMA tweeting “just sold some overpriced mortgage loans worth little for 50c on the € - let us know if the new owner forecloses on you”

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

They made a costly mess of it last year when monarch were on the brink and they hired in a large fleet of replacement planes only for them not to be neeed so they are probably feeling smug this time

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Why Shannon, cheap storage?

oakshade wrote: »

Why Shannon, cheap storage?
    Lots of leasing companies would have contracts with the multiple maintenance and painting companies based there

A friend posted a pic on twitter last night of one of their A321's on finals into DUB. I'm sure it wont be the last so strangely enough in this part of the world we still have a chance to see ZB planes in the air for another week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A friend posted a pic on twitter last night of one of their A321's on finals into DUB. I'm sure it wont be the last so strangely enough in this part of the world we still have a chance to see ZB planes in the air for another week or so.

Back during the depths of the recession, the remote stands in Dublin were a gallery of failed airlines.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/7003016677

Can't remember who the operator with the three further back there at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

L1011 wrote: »
    Back during the depths of the recession, the remote stands in Dublin were a gallery of failed airlines.

Can't remember who the operator with the three further back there at this stage.

The three at the back are/were Kingfisher, from India

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingfisher_Airlines

• Advertisement

Kingfisher... they had a rake of A380's on order too and them going bust hurt Airbus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Shannon was the same. There were 7 or 8 Malev 737s on the ground for ages when Malev collapsed. I'm pretty sure there were 4 or 5 Kingfisher parked up too around the same time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Who will be operating these Monarch aircraft into SNN and DUB? The leasor? Monarch pilots?

fr336 wrote: »
    Who will be operating these Monarch aircraft into SNN and DUB? The leasor? Monarch pilots?

The Lessor, which I believe is GECAS in this case, who have a large pool of Airbus rated pilots to call from to fly these flights, AerCap are the same. NB: These lessors have larger fleets and most airlines, and have a huge number of contract pilots making deliveries and returns.

Advertisement