Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennant Reference Site

Options
  • 30-09-2017 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I remember there use to be a website - Tennantreference.ie it seems to be gone now.

Is there anything else like this in Ireland? I know there's English and USA ones.

Can anything positive come from these? Or can sites implement good features for landlords and tenants to use them

Like a landlord could advertise there property on the site, tenants can apply and landlord can review Tennant profiles for consideration?

What else would people like to see on a site like this. I think if someone had the will, and skill. They could create a good resource for us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They'd risk being sued. If the LL said that the tenant was a scumbag thief that peddled drugs to five year old kids from the house, the tenant could ask you to remove said reference or you would face libel charges, as you don't really know if the tenant is that bad, or if the LL just didn't like them.

And if you can't list the bad references, what use is the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

The site would probably also need consent from the tenants to be listed; otherwise data protection would be an issue. All in all, sounds like a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Best option is really to ring their last few landlords. Maybe their last 3 or 4.
    I've read before that you should ignore the reference of the current landlord as they will give a great reference to get rid of them if they are bad tenants. I'd ring him too anyway because if he says they'll are bad you know to avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

__..__ wrote: »
    Best option is really to ring their last few landlords. Maybe their last 3 or 4.
    I've read before that you should ignore the reference of the current landlord as they will give a great reference to get rid of them if they are bad tenants. I'd ring him too anyway because if he says they'll are bad you know to avoid at all costs.

How do you know if they have listed landlords or their friends?

At least with a work reference you can ignore the number given and just call the correct number.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

davindub wrote: »
    How do you know if they have listed landlords or their friends?

At least with a work reference you can ignore the number given and just call the correct number.

You don't. But by now I hope I am good at weeding those ones out. Especially if I go for 3 or 4 of them. If I get one bad ref they are crossed off so I only need to see through 1 out of 3 or 4 to call it a success.

Work refs are essential too as you pointed out.

It's academic for me now anyway, because I won't need to be checking refs anymore, but thought I'd pass on my thoughts on it to help someone else out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement