Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest Killarney 7th Oct

Options
  • 30-09-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Who's heading to Kerry next weekend? I've not done this one before, doing the 83km, I believe the first cycle section is new, mass bike start! , sounds like carnage/fun ;) ?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭MollsGap

gavkm27 wrote: »
    Who's heading to Kerry next weekend? I've not done this one before, doing the 83km, I believe the first cycle section is new, mass bike start! , sounds like carnage/fun ;) ?!?

Is this a difficult course? I have never done an adventure race but would love to try. Would an unfit amateur get around this course and are there entries still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

MollsGap wrote: »
    Is this a difficult course? I have never done an adventure race but would love to try. Would an unfit amateur get around this course and are there entries still available?

They have a multitude of distances for beginners and up, but I'm afraid the entry is closed as the race is this Saturday, think there are over 2,000 competing
    www.questadventureseries.com/

gavkm27 wrote: »
    They have a multitude of distances for beginners and up, but I'm afraid the entry is closed as the race is this Saturday, think there are over 2,000 competing
    www.questadventureseries.com/

My ticker is not ready for this years event anyway but nevertheless thank you for the link. I must add to the to do list next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Just starting to get the buzz for Saturday, have been on holiday last week and got a cold from the AC on the plane I think but will struggle on through the 55km!

Hopefully the weather behaves again.

I'm sure you will be fine, shake off the cold with a hot whiskey and good nights sleep and you'll be right as rain. Best of luck in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Any reports couldn't make it this year......

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

How did everyone get on? I did the 55km sport route thought it was a brilliant race very well organised, i preferred it to Glendalough as you got the long cycle done at the beginning and just one run, the cycle was amazing cycling through the Gap of Dunloe and some very steep downhills!. The start was well organised as I was worried setting off on bike in such a big group but i felt they were better prepared than Glendalough where you had to fend for yourself at the beginning. First part of the run was torture seeing everyone else flying back down! There was a 4km off road part to the cycle and it was very rough ground for a road bike i saw three people with punctures here, luckily i got through without one. Definitely makes me want to do more of these races next year. Would love if they would bring back the cycle jersey as part of entry fee, it was a fleece this time, it makes more sense to do cycle jersey as its such good advertising so many people wearing the old ones on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Ended up doing in the mini 27km due to being sick. There was nothing mini about it when you struggle to breath ha.

Cycle was nice and quick! Lovely conditions for the kayak. But the cardiac steps were a c***! I would have trained on them earlier in the year but it still doesn't get your ready for a race day pace with others around you.

Would have loved to have done the 55km but there's always next year!

I like the fleece! Nice to stop the pile of tshirts and jerseys getting too high!

Looking forward to Kenmare in March already!

I was definitely not prepared for the steps! Yeah fleece is nice but i never got a cycle jersey and would love one!! Thinking of doing Kenmare too :)

Lo_La wrote: »
    I was definitely not prepared for the steps! Yeah fleece is nice but i never got a cycle jersey and would love one!! Thinking of doing Kenmare too :)

Are the results anywhere online yet? I had a friend doing the race and would like to see the splits between events. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

MollsGap wrote: »
    Are the results anywhere online yet? I had a friend doing the race and would like to see the splits between events. Thanks
    http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/QuestKillarney2017October.html

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

I did the Dual with a mate really enjoyed it despite the poor time i posted. going to partake again in Kenmare (March).

Anyone any advice on how best to train for these events.

Killarney was my first Duathlon and my prep was poor enough. will look to improve on that for Kenmare.

Any help appreciated.

murphk wrote: »
    I did the Dual with a mate really enjoyed it despite the poor time i posted. going to partake again in Kenmare (March).

Anyone any advice on how best to train for these events.

Killarney was my first Duathlon and my prep was poor enough. will look to improve on that for Kenmare.

Any help appreciated.

This is something I would be interested in too, even though I am fit enough to comfortably do the run and cycle distances, when you add in the different terrain and hills I found it really tough but without travelling to Dublin/Wicklow mountains every weekend what could I incorporate into training sessions to help with this? I know there are plenty of running and triathlon clubs are there any adventure racing clubs that do group running/cycling training?!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

Lo_La wrote: »
    This is something I would be interested in too, even though I am fit enough to comfortably do the run and cycle distances, when you add in the different terrain and hills I found it really tough but without travelling to Dublin/Wicklow mountains every weekend what could I incorporate into training sessions to help with this? I know there are plenty of running and triathlon clubs are there any adventure racing clubs that do group running/cycling training?!

No clubs that I know of myself, but after the new year there should be a good few IMRA races, if you could make it to a few then its great experience in running over hilly and rough terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Specific training... train in similar environments. Dublin/Wicklow hills are perfect.

Try and do some IMRA races. They're worth doing in themselves anyway. But racing those will get you used to running off road at full tilt. It is a learned skill.

Advertisement