Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Apple recipe

• 30-09-2017 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

was picking apples all day today a mix of sweet and cookers.

Now I have to use them up, as I'm not a great person for eating raw apples.

What are easy healthy recipe that a better than beginners chef could do which will consume significant quantities of apples.

The ones the crows have sampled are being turned into stew.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Healthy? Don't know, but everything in moderation!

When I got a haul of apples and peeled, cored and chopped them all and separated them out into different sized containers and froze most of them.

Then if you want to make a quick crumble you just have to add the topping.

You could do apple compote for porridge or as an addition to natural yoghurt.

Sliced apples in cider with pork chops is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

As above said freeze them, have bags of them sliced and frozen ready to go over next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭rcarroll

you can stew them a bit then freeze in batches - then they cook quicker for any recipes. such as a) stewed apple with cinnamon and ice-cream/custard b) wrap them in filo pastry and bake c) apple crumble d) mix with blackberries (stew them a bit first then leave overnight in their juices) and then cover with crumble and bake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Microwaved stewed apples are very very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My grandmother used to make this thing that she cored the apples, peeled them, chopped them in slices (so you have the whole round), batter it and eat with sugar and cinnamon. It's incredibly delicious. I know, not healthy but hey.
    How about apple puree? You can use this as sweetener in baking as well as replacement for eggs.
    Oh and dry apple chips, they are a nice healthy snack.

And since Christmas is on the horizon, Baked apples with cinnamon! Serve with cream and vanilla ice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement