Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does an auctioneer have a duty to disclose if certain events happened on a property?

Options
  • 30-09-2017 10:05pm

Does anybody know if there is a legal requirement upon an auctioneer to disclose if a significant incident - e.g. murder, suicide - happened on a property?

I was looking at a property recently and it was only when I asked a local person that I was told about a very tragic event which occured there. With that information I was able to go back a couple of decades in google searches and find a detailed account (although the house number was not recorded, which partly explains why my initial searches for the property revealed nothing).

I would imagine many people would think twice about a property if they found out that tragic events happened on it - but what is the legal situation in terms of their right to be informed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

People die in every house, most people with a bit of cop on would not let what happened in a property influence their decision on buying it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

A couple of decades. So at least 20 years ago? Odds on the Auctioneer had no idea about anything tragic going that far back. Would it really make that much of a difference anyway.

Advertisement