Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hols outside Europe- use BOI master card or debit card?

• 30-09-2017 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm going on holidays outside Europe next week and I'm wondering which is better to use - my Bank of Ireland Visa Debit Card or should I put money on my master card?

Which would be less costly to use?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

From ConsumerHelp.ie:

BoI debit card:
    Non-euro card purchase: 2% (maximum €11.43)
    Non-euro cash withdrawal fee: 3.5% (minimum €3.17, maximum €11.43)

BoI credit card:
    Non-euro cash withdrawals as % of transaction value: 2.25% cross-border handling fee plus 1.5% (minimum €2.54)
    Non-euro purchases fee as % of transaction value: 2.25% of transaction value.

Far better off using a Revolut card and cut all the above fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Skippy21

Unfortunately I'm going on holidays next Friday and won't have time to get the revolut card. So I'm probably better off using my visa/debit card while I'm away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you sign up for a Revolut Premium account (free for the first month as a trial) you can order a premium card via Express (which take usually 48 hours after you order it.).

Then within your first month you cancel the premium trial and you will be charged 10£ fee for the express delivery.

So if you plan to spend more than 600€ during your holiday, you still would save money using this method (giving the 2% fee in your debit card for exchange alone).

Enjoy your holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

What's the best option if you're going to a country/currency where Revolut doesn't operate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

That depends on what currency you are talking about, revolut does support spending in over 120 currencies. For some they have slightly worse rates (THB, RUB, UAH) and than there is the weekend buffer.

So curious as to what currency you are looking for.

Also as long as there is mastercard acceptance in the country, you should be able to pay in that country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For Bank of Ireland anyway, make sure you've got a positive balance on your card (i.e. add money to it in excess of any upcoming charges) and use that for any ATM withdrawals. No charges then - it's what I did and the only charges I got where when I exceeded the amount I had "added" to the card (and that's from checking it just a couple of hours ago).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

ixoy wrote: »
    For Bank of Ireland anyway, make sure you've got a positive balance on your card (i.e. add money to it in excess of any upcoming charges) and use that for any ATM withdrawals. No charges then - it's what I did and the only charges I got where when I exceeded the amount I had "added" to the card (and that's from checking it just a couple of hours ago).

Is that your credit card you are referring to?

Advertisement