Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any alternative to ‘dipping’?

• 30-09-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭

Am I right in thinking that there is some injection you can give sheep that saves having to dip them?....remember hearing about something ?

Have lowland ewe lambs that I am keeping that were only sheared a fortnight ago...so have little or no real regrowth of wool yet.
    So would have to leave them at least another month to get them dipped by mobile dipper.
    Anyone know anything about any effective alternative to dipping?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Ivomectin? Or similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Ivomectin? Or similar

I have a feeling that it was 1cc of Ivomectin Super per Sheep.

While I would not expect it to be as good a job as actually dipping the lambs has anyone ever done their sheep in this way and did it work to keep sheep clear of scab etc for the winter?

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

While I would not expect it to be as good a job as actually dipping the lambs has anyone ever done their sheep in this way and did it work to keep sheep clear of scab etc for the winter?

Thanks for any replies.
    Maybe Classic, don't think you can give super to sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Thanks for any replies.

The white and yellow wormers are increasingly losing effect from over use against worms around the country,both are actually useless on some farms.
    Using ivermectins to replace dipping will only hasten its failure too against worms but a lot of people are using it for scab.
    Some swear by it for orf too which is rubbish.

Thanks,would you reckon to leave the lambs another month for wool to grow more and then mobile dip them?.....(used that last year for ewes and worked well).

Land fragmented so would be a bit of hassle getting them for dipping but if it’s best course of action that’s what I will do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Thanks,would you reckon to leave the lambs another month for wool to grow more and then mobile dip them?.....(used that last year for ewes and worked well).

Land fragmented so would be a bit of hassle getting them for dipping but if it’s best course of action that’s what I will do.

we always dip 3 weeks after shearing, works grand, you have to be careful of cuts, the dip will poison them if the shearing cuts aren't healed

rangler1 wrote: »

we always dip 3 weeks after shearing, works grand, you have to be careful of cuts, the dip will poison them if the shearing cuts aren't healed
    Shearer had a lad ‘learning the trade’ with him shearing....he took bad nicks out of 4 or 5 lambs 😡......so best to wait longer then to dip them.

Advertisement