Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy Joel Aviva Stadium 23 June 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,409 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Ah it means you'll only need one pint.

i cant have a few pints on them nothing excessive :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Getting a taxi straight from work to this, what's the food situation like in the Aviva??? ****ty hot dogs or something edible??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i cant have a few pints on them nothing excessive :D:D

Did you make the foolish mistake of asking the doctor, or did they come out and tell you.

If you are taking vitamin C and ask a doctor "can I drink on these", the advice will be "yes, but no more than 1 pint". Same advice if you were putting sudocrem on a cut, or have an ingrown toenail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Put it on Toutless.com not really the done thing to try and sell it here

Thanks will do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Getting a taxi straight from work to this, what's the food situation like in the Aviva??? ****ty hot dogs or something edible??

I would get a hotdog/burger from one of the vans on Lansdowne Rd. Cheaper and nicer!

Just a reminder to people with print at home tickets..

You MUST have each ticket printed out on paper.

If you turn up with a picture of the ticket or just the email from tickermaster on a mobile/tablet, you will not get in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Yeah looking forward to it

Had tickets for the 2013 3arena show but had to sell them

Looking forward to the hits like Piano man, can't start the fire, my life, downeaster Alexa etc

Should be in Dublin by 3.30pm and hopefully have a pint or 2 ðŸ˜

Edit- balls on anti biotics for my teeth and can't drink on them. Ah well

Wisdom teeth? The pills will make you puke and alcohol will destroy any good they did.

My wisdom teeth are giving me hell (one of them) and learned how to deal with a swollen face!

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Wisdom teeth? The pills will make you puke and alcohol will destroy any good they did.

My wisdom teeth are giving me hell (one of them) and learned how to deal with a swollen face!

Its not wisdom tooth but an infected one but I can have a few drinks on the tablets im on

Anyway this is not a dental thread lol. Listening to Billy Joel on Spootify all morning cant wait for later. Hopefully Ireland win in the rugby and we celebrate in there house

Enjoy the gig everyone

Odd atmosphere around ballsbridge, one side middle aged people and other side mostly teens/young 20s going to be RDS for Picture this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Wowzer!

Great gig, great setlist and great crowd

Way better than I expected

Whos bright idea was it to hold 2 big gigs in the one area on the same night ?. Chaos around Ballsbridge with loads of drunken teens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

Seeing Billy Joel live has been on my bucket list for quite a while and this was my 1st opportunity to see him,my God did he live up to my hopes,his performance, the interaction with the crowd,the band's performance,the weather,couldn't have asked for more,except for Goodnight Saigon but you can't win them all :)
    I've been to a lot of gigs through the years but this will go down as one of my best!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Last 2 numbers were a little bit odd. Would have been a stronger climax if they were played in the middle.

Then end on piano man, fire, uptown.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Last 2 numbers were a little bit odd. Would have been a stronger climax if they were played in the middle.

I thought the same. It looked like he wanted to finish back on the piano.

What was the 2nd song he played ???

Didn't have a clue what it was or what he was singing. I was up in 505 on the upper East stand

The setlist was hit followed by hit, pity goodnight Saigon was not played

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Pressure was the second song.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Intro: Prologue 1915-1923, from The Natural, by Randy Newman
    Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)
    Pressure
    The Entertainer
    Don't Cry for Me Argentina
    (impromptu excerpt)
    Vienna (‘Fielder’s Choice’ chosen over Just the Way You Are)
    The Longest Time (‘Fielder’s Choice’ chosen over An Innocent Man, with The Lion Sleeps Tonight "warmup")
    Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
    On Raglan Road (partial)
    And So It Goes
    Allentown
    Don't Ask Me Why
    (‘Fielder’s Choice’ chosen over All for Leyna)
    New York State of Mind (with Theme from New York, New York excerpt from Mark Rivera)
    The Downeaster Alexa (‘Fielder’s Choice’ chosen over Storm Front)
    My Life
    Sometimes a Fantasy
    She's Always a Woman
    The River of Dreams
    (with ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ (The Beatles) interlude)
    Only the Good Die Young
    Nessun Dorma (from Turandot by Giacomo Puccini)
    Scenes From an Italian Restaurant
    Piano Man

Encore:

We Didn't Start the Fire
    Uptown Girl
    It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
    Big Shot
    You May Be Right
    (with ‘Rock and Roll’ (Led Zeppelin) interlude)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

The guy who played Guitar and sang vocals was very good

Who is he ???

The band is:
    Chuck Burgi (Drums)
    Tommy Byrnes (Guitars, Vocals)
    Andy Cichon (Bass, Vocals)
    Mike DelGuidice (Vocals, Guitar)
    Carl Fischer (Trumpet, Trombone, Saxophone)
    Mark Rivera (Saxophones, Flute, Harmonica, Percussion, Vocals)
    Dave Rosenthal (Keyboards, Piano, Organ, Musical Director)
    Crystal Taliefero (Percussion, Saxophone, Harmonica, Vocals "... and everything else on the stage")

Most of them have been in the touring band for years - Mark Rivera is old school and has been with him since the early eighties - but it's effectively the same band as the 12 Gardens Live album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Great night - 4th time seeing him but considering the third time was twenty years ago I thought he put on a brilliant show and a great setlist - was happy from the start to hear Miami 2017!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Pure class. Really great show and the sound etc was top notch even up in 524 where we were.

My only complaint, like others, is that I would have played the encore in reverse order.
    sdevine89 wrote: »
    If Downeaster Alexa is one of the songs the crowd is given a choice in relation to, please choose it, thanks in advance :)

Billy did me a solid and didn't even put it to a vote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

Fantastic gig, 2nd time seeing him (1st in Croke Park in 2006).

A beautiful Summers evening listening to the Great Entertainer himself, Perfect!

I like you may be right as a finisher, but big shot is just a crowd killer, and regularly gets **** on by the new York crowd, if he played it in the first half before my life (which is much better as the turning point song than an opener imo) an played something faster there it'd be better.

Overall it's the Billy show, he knows what he is doing by now, no huge surprises or deep cuts, just a really solid show that sends everyone home happy....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭joeysoap

What was the 2nd song he played ???

Didn't have a clue what it was or what he was singing. I was up in 505 on the upper East stand

The setlist was hit followed by hit, pity goodnight Saigon was not played

I was in west stand too. 523. And I thought the sound overall was pretty poor. If you knew the song -fine, but if not you were struggling for words.

Never seen so many at a concertspend the night tooing and frooing to the bar,.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Who were the people who picked Don't Ask Me Why over All for Leyna and Vienna over Just the Way You Are ?
    Were they insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Zardoz wrote: »
    Who were the people who picked Don't Ask Me Why over All for Leyna and Vienna over Just the Way You Are ?
    Were they insane.

Yeah, I was so disappointed he didn't play "Just the Way You Are", I was really looking forward to that one. As others have said, I also wish he had played "Goodnight Saigon" above some of the other more obscure songs.

Other than those niggles, I thought he played a blinder. For a man of 69, boy can he still carry a tune. What a voice!

To be fair, Billy loads the choices knowing what's going to win, and obviously with the band/lights/screen it has to be slightly pre planned. It led to an amazing moment in the garden in April though.

Giving them a choice between she's got a way and everybody loves you now (which he was hoping for) the audience picked she's so overwhelmingly that he audibly said **** and had to scramble to cover it, he ended up playing it solo with a spotlight on him. Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I like you may be right as a finisher, but big shot is just a crowd killer, and regularly gets **** on by the new York crowd, if he played it in the first half before my life (which is much better as the turning point song than an opener imo) an played something faster there it'd be better.

Overall it's the Billy show, he knows what he is doing by now, no huge surprises or deep cuts, just a really solid show that sends everyone home happy....
    A lot of acts seem to be going that way nowdays, the logic seems to be that there's no point in having people most exicted as they're walking home

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mose Harper

I was working the gig and heard over the radio that he cut his set by 3 songs as only 19,000 people in at 7.45 and another 20,000 yet to enter the stadium.
    So he came on at 8.15ish instead of 8 .

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robbo1203

Sound on the East Stand also particularly poor ( Section 504 ) especially when the full band were playing, some of the songs were so distorted that it was difficult to work out what one he was performing. At € 130 a ticket I would expect a lot more and it is a real pity that the sound engineers did'nt walk around the stadium to check the sound levels properly. At one stage, it sounded as if Billy was singing in a different key to the musicians behind him. Dont think I will be rushing back to hear a big concert in the Aviva anytime in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Zardoz wrote: »
    Were they insane.

I'd say a lot of the roar expected that they were going to hear 'Vienna' by Ultravox, sung by Billy Joel.

Advertisement