Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the waters and the wild

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Thurs 40min weights, 20min run; 60min Masters

Run:
    10mins easy
    10mins steady build
    Easy enough run after the weights.

Swim:
    400 wu
    6*(25k, 25sw, 15s)
    2*(400 in 6:25, 75s)
    3*(200 in 3:10, 60s)
    4*(100 in 1:30, 45s)
    200 swim down

I'm still rusty in the pool, but things are definitely heading in the right direction. Streamline and stroke are getting better, breathing isn't too bad, its just a matter of building up the speed endurance. Having a few decent guys around in our middle lane helps, thats what pushes you on.

Fri 40min turbo

10 mins easy spin
    5 * ( 30' hard, 1.30 easy )
    5 * {1 min 'on' @ PE 9-10, 2 min easy}
    5 mins easy

Drive the girls to a party at 8pm, drive Junior to boxing, drive home and find a precise 45 mins to get this turbo completed, showered, and back on the road to pick up Junior... I'm buying myself a "Worlds Greatest Dad" mug for Xmas.
    The turbo itself went well, hitting the hard parts how they needed to be hit.

Sat 15min yoga, 14k run; 30min Fastlane
    A very early start, with only 10 hours since the previous session, and only 5 of them sleep. It was cold, dark and raining, a miserable dreary day that initially took effort to get out of bed, and then effort to get out of the car after dropping Junior to swimming at 7am.
    Once I got going it was all worth it. There's a certain joie de vivre to running in these conditions, and as the dawn broke I started to wake up. The first 30mins were easy, then larger puddle splashes as the effort dialled up for the next 30mins. The final 2k were fastest, I felt every bit of them as my tired body struggled. As ever when finished, delighted to have a session done early with the whole weekend ahead.

Fastlane:
    snorkle, PT paddles, PB, fist, swim.
    Combo of all of the above in a recovery 1::42pace current.

Sun 10min yoga, 1:30 turbo

10 mins warmup
    5 *(1.30 mins easy, 30 secs all out)
    Easy 60'
    3 * {12 min at 7-8 PE, 5 min easy}
    20 * {20' at 110 RPM+, 20' easy}
    rest of 90 min easy cool down

I didn't have a great nights sleep and was tired starting this turbo. Each of the 12min intervals felt tough and I was counting down the minutes (I guess thats all good so). The 110+RPM's were very hard as I battled fatigue.

Mon 15th Nothing, I had clients all day and was wrecked.

Tue 15min yoga, 40min turbo; 30min Fastlane
    Turbo:
    I fecked this up, pressed the wrong button and Zwifted the wrong session, only realised when I was half into it. Anyway, main set was 5*(1min 260W, 2min 190W), then 3*(3min 270W, 2min 190W)
    Swim:
    1:42pace throughout, focussing on length and streamline (using steady kick to aid streamline).

Wed 15min yoga, 65min run
    30 mins easy,
    30 mins steady
    10 mins building to finish at around 4.10 / km for final 2kms
    I didn't feel great for this- Junior has brought a bug into the house and I fear its spreading- the paces were ok and my legs felt fine but the engine felt like it was doing overtime.

Thurs 15min yoga, 40min S&C, 20min run; 60min Masters swim
    Felt much better than yesterday- a great day to be out, a lot cooler and the forest was a joy to run through.
    Swim:
    200WU
    8*(25k, 25drill)10s
    10*200 off 3:45 (in 3:10-3:20)
    I'm still fighting the water a bit, but kick, breathing, and tumbles, are all ok. My calfs and feet were cramping from earlier S&C work, and I sat out the 6th rep to stretch.

Fri 10min yoga, 40min turbo; 30mins Fastlane
    Turbo:
    10 mins easy spin
    10 mins as 5 * ( 30' hard, 1.30 easy )
    15 mins as 5 * (2 min PE 6, 1 min super easy)
    5 mins easy
    Felt good, last nights cramps in the pool have gone away.
    Fastlane:
    10min 1:42pace
    5min 1:36pace
    5min 1:36pace pb
    10min 1:29pace pb

Sat 15min yoga, 70min run
    This run should have been better- I was feeling good, got the missus to drop me half way to Gorey and I resolved to enjoy the glorious weather and run back across Annagh trails on this bright autumnal day. The first few (road) km's were slightly uphill and felt somewhat laboured. Hitting the flanks of Annagh is always fun, and after some nice undulations and increase in pace I hit the road again for the final run to home. By this the effort was quite high and I was operating beyond my comfort zone. Goal pace for the last 10mins was 4:10/km, and while I didn't quite hit it all, I finished strong (but spent).
    Another one in the vault, don't mind if they seem a struggle in October.

Sun 10min yoga, 1:25 turbo; 1:20 pool
    Turbo:
    20mins easy
    10 * 1 min climbing, 1 min easy
    odds seated over geared low cadence
    evens standing, over geared low cadence
    5 mins easy
    15 mins steady
    rest of ride easy
    I was raining down here when I got up, and a combination of wet roads and wet leaves was something I wanted to avoid. The planned outdoor spin was abandoned for the turbo. Onto Zwift and a new futuristic spin around NYC (good fun actually!). I was able to control where the hills were for the big gear grinds, and so I reckon it was a decent substitute.

Pool:
    Junior is now doing Surf life saving training on Sunday evenings, and they have a Masters squad too so I may as well get a Sunday splash in.
    4*100 sw under barriers
    4*100 IMO
    4*100k
    8*50k with fins
    8*50k with fins single arm
    4*50 back kick with fins
    8*25 underwater dolphin kick with fins
    50m relay leg with fins

Mon 22nd 15min yoga, 40min S&C, 20min run

Run:
    Nice and gentle for the first 2k and then dialling up the pace. Starting to feel a bit better/lighter when running.
    Weekly weigh-in 90.1kg

Tue 30min Fastlane; 10min yoga, 65min turbo; 35min run

Fastlane:
    I kept things very relaxed 1:42 pace and got into a good zone. "Bitches Brew" on the headphones, a decent kick and streamline going on; all was good in the world.

Turbo:
    10 mins easy spin
    5 * {5 min 'on' @ PE 5-6, 3 min easy}
    5 mins easy
    Another Zwift spin around the future NYC highline. No graffiti to be seen; they must have cloned a RoboGuiliani mayor.
    Felt good, didn't push that hard.

Run:
    Very easy pace jog while the kids were at swimming

Wed 40min S&C, 20min run; 20min Fastlane
    Run:
    The run today was good, kept it very gentle and was glad to do so.

Fastlane:
    Just the ticket to round out the day. Easy 1:42 pace

Thurs 15min yoga, 47min run intervals; 60min Masters

Run:
    10 min easy warm up
    3 sets of {4 * 400m with 60' rest between (PE 7-9), easy 3 mins jogging}
    easy jogging to cool down
    Tough enough intervals, but they are meant to be. I'm still holding extra weight which is slowing down the pace, but a positive is that overall form and poise is good (and getting better).

Swim:
    200WU
    3*400 off 7:30 (in 6:45, 6:48, 6:50)
    3*300 off 5:45 (in 5:11, 5:09, 5:19)
    3*200 off 3:50 (in 3:26, 3:32, 3:37)
    100 EZ
    I'm still struggling in the pool, "steady" pace is no better than 1:40/100m when it should be around 1:35... but nothing for it but to keep plugging away. I tried a few different things with my catch/pull which probably accounts for any variance in times. On the plus side my kick is good, I tumbled over 50% of the time (still having issues with breathing while tumbling; I'm gasping for air past the flags). I've a feeling that progress will come soon enough though, just need a few things to click together.

Fri 10min yoga, 65min turbo
    Turbo
    10 mins easy spin
    5 * {5 min 'on' @ PE 5-6, 3 min easy}
    5 mins easy

Sat 15min yoga
    The day got away from me

Sun 15min yoga, 75min hill run; 30min Fastlane
    Run:
    About 13k in the hills instead of a planned Parkrun yesterday. Circumstances meant I find it hard to make Saturday morning races (kids are swimming 7-9am) but I'd like to get a 5km marker soon. Anyway, took myself for a run through the forest, bumped into a couple of lads from the tri club so ran with them for a while, before diverting upwards towards the Wicklow Way hills. Great day to be out there, stunning views and wonderful grass underfoot.

• Advertisement

Mon 29th Oct 3.5hr hike; 10min yoga, 1:22 turbo

Hike:
    The wifey planned an early morning start from Glendo around the Spink loop. Fantastic morning for it, it was all about the views, all about traversing some of the Earth's nicer contours. Good for the soul (which has been feeling gloomy the past while for some reason).

Turbo:
    20mins easy
    10 * 1 min climbing, 1 min easy
    (odds seated over geared low cadence
    evens standing, over geared low cadence)
    5 mins easy
    15 mins steady .. building to finish strong
    rest of ride easy
    I got back mid-afternoon from the hike, too late for a road spin so did this on the turbo instead.

Tue 15min yoga, 1:10 run; 60min Surf Life Saving training

Run:
    30 min easy
    30min build
    10min fast
    The legs were a bit tight after yesterdays hike, but nothing that affected my stride, just a general lack of pep (in fact there's a general lack of pep overall mind & body for the past few weeks*). The slow pace was welcome, and I dialled it up for a half hour before finishing faster for the last 10 mins. My effort suggested a faster pace than the watch recorded; I think the watch is more accurate.
    *I'm getting bloodwork done to see if anything amiss.

Swim:
    4*100 swim
    4*100 kick
    4*100 IM
    3*100 kick w fins (50 back fly, 50 side)
    12*75 single arm side holding bucket/manikin
    Surf lifesaving tonight, I was happy to get into the water. There's a variety of standards in out male Masters lane so you get held up often, but otherwise all good.

Wed 10min yoga, 1:05 turbo
    Turbo:
    10 mins easy spin
    10 * ( 30' hard, 30' easy )
    5 * (5 min 'on' @ PE 5-6, 3 min easy)
    5 mins easy
    Kept the effort middling for this one.

Thurs 60min Masters
    35*100 off 1:45
    Started off swimming at 1:35 pace, as it went on I slowed and finished the last few at 1:45 pace. I was pleased enough with the session and how I felt during it. Happy to see a bit of consistency in the pool.

Fri 10min yoga, 40min turbo
    Turbo
    10 mins easy spin
    5 * (1 min 'on' @ PE 9-10, 2 min easy)
    5 mins easy
    The intervals were tough- I happened to be on a "sprint" session for the first one ;) a short sharp shock all round. Looking at the power I was holding over 700W for the first one... I can still remember the agony of that moment!

Sat 15min yoga, 14k run; 30min Fastlane 1:42 pace recovery swim
    A very early start on a wet and windy morning. I knew from the off it would be a struggle as I was happy to keep things under 6min/km. Tried to up the pace 5k in but I was putting in way too much effort for the paces... in the end I walked a little and tried to regroup, but no chance of getting under 4:30/km pace and I finished knackered.
    If I had to guess I had last nights turbo still in the body, meaning there was nothing in the tank when I went looking.

Sun 10min yoga, 1:25 turbo; 30min Fastlane
    Turbo:
    10 mins steady to build
    5 * ( 30' all out 1.30 easy)
    3 * (15 mins 'on' ... building from PE 3 to 8 every 3 mins, 5 mins easy)
    easy 5 cool down
    This felt more controlled and with more energy than of late.

Swim:
    10min 1:42pace
    10min 1:36pace
    10min 1:29pace
    After watching a video of Chloe Sutton explaining rotation/pull I put it to good use in the Fastlane. Not anything I hadn't heard before, but always good to reset and reaffirm.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkpylOwOXEQ

Overall for the week- its another decent block of consistency, which is what you want in October. I'm concerned about mood etc, I've felt gloomy for the past few weeks, and while that has thankfully lifted during this week, the lack of zip on Saturday's run suggests something might be amiss. I'm not usually one to fawn over mental health issues (get out of bed, do your work, try and smile, go back to bed; repeat), but there's a definite mind/body connect and I should be running faster than I am. I think bloodwork will point to high Cholesterol, something I had before and preceeded not feeling 100%. But it could also just be this gloomy time of year, in which case I just need a kick up the ass. Either way, training will help.

Mon 5th Nov 30min run
    Plan:30min easy, 15min build
    Actual:20min easy, 10min build
    I had a very busy day with client meetings, got back to the office and about to dash out for a run... phone went again, more business to take care of... and so I ran out of daylight on this run. Felt good during it, there's still an extra gear lacking, but it was good to get out in the dark rain and grab the last of the evening.

Tue 45min run
    Plan: 40min turbo
    Actual: Easy run
    Another long day in the office and before I know it the daylight has gone... and with it any window to do turbo, had to take the kids swimming and so just did an easy pace run around the dark streets of Gorey.
    I think work is a big issue and something I'll have to get better control over. I make my own hours, work from home, so all should be good and easy for training, right? Not so; this weekend for instance I was in the office both days, and lately its been a 7am start with a 5-6pm finish... I need to get more disciplined and make daylight time available for some training. I'll start this tomorrow.

Wed 15min yoga, 45min run; 40mins S&C
    Run:
    I got out at 3pm, determined to get some sunlight. As it turns out I grabbed the best of the day, blue skies in the forest just after the storm had passed. Easy enough for the first 30mins and dial up the effort after that... I'm still not firing at the top end (feels a lot harder than it should) but I'm going in the right direction and happy to be doing so.
    S&C:
    Just getting back into the weighs routine on the multigym.

Thurs 10min yoga, 40min turbo; 60min Masters
    Turbo:
    10 mins easy spin
    5 * (2 min 'building to steady' @ PE 6, 1 min super easy)
    5 mins easy
    Kept it easy enough. I did "worlds greatest stretch" beforehand, heard a thunderclap of spinal cracks that a chiropractor could retire on! I wish I had known about this stretch 20 years ago, it provides instant relief for a tight back and would have saved me a fortune in back remedy bills! :D

Masters:
    10*50 off 1:00
    4*(25k, 25swim)
    1500m TT (24:45)
    250m swim down
    My goal was to keep this just under 1:40 pace- I've not been swimming all that much lately and I wanted to set a standard to gauge improvement over the year. I led off and held a steady pace that was manageable. Stroke, breathing, form were all good- the only downside is that I touched rather than tumble turned. That has to stop, and soon.
    By halfway I was feeling the effort but focussed on holding decent form- there wasn't any pain or major hurt, just enough fatigue to let you know you were working. Toes touched after 20mins and I let him through, but it didn't really make much difference to pace- I could have have finished in the same time.
    Overall I'm happy enough with the 1:39 pace, I'll now work on getting that down to 1:35 and under.

Mood has got much better thankfully, and I'm enjoying getting fit again. Signed up for a few 2019 races; Valentia Sprint, Athy Double Oly, and Hardman... got the itch to train for something longer, but we'll see how things progress. You can defer Hardman a year so thats an option too. Right at the moment I'm happy to be training and to make tentative plans... as was said to me earlier this week, its all about the journey! ;)

Fri 15min yoga, 40min S&C, 30min run; 30min Fastlane

Easy run chatting with a mate along the forest path. It was drizzling as we set off, and the rain and wind got heavier as we went on. This is the sort of day you remember as a child watching raindrops patter down a window. As an adult there's no better place to be than out training in it.

Later into the Fastlane for half an hour of rotation drills from my poster girl Chloe Sutton. The swim coach mentioned I need to rotate more in the pool so I gave these a shot. Pointing your shoulder (down) is a good one, and afterwards my freestyle stroke felt more complete.

Sat 15min yoga, 14k run
    A very early start, the four of us were greeted with spectacular pink clouds as the dawn broke. The first 30mins was easy pace, just getting into things and chatting around the loop for Tara hill. As we picked up the pace a little the questions and answers became briefer. The last couple of km along the flat old N11 were tough enough, I'm still missing that extra gear at the top end, but moving in the right direction and things are getting faster. Good run, good chat, and as always good to have got a solid run in before 9am on a Saturday.

Sun 1:30 Surf lifesaving training

Lots of fins, lots of kicking, some IMO, manikin rescue, swim under obstacles... a good way to round out the weekend. I was happy to get into the water.

Mon 15min yoga, 10k run; 60min Masters

Run:
    The legs felt a bit dead today, we did a lot of kick and fins last night and I think that effort is still there. Easy enough for the first 30mins then picking it up for the rest. The usual story; I'm missing a gear at the top end and the engine is straining at 4:20 pace... however, its getting better, I'm losing weight, and consistency is King at this stage of the year so I'm pretty content.

Swim:
    200 WU
    10*50 (alt kick/swim, drill/swim)
    Main set
    2*(
    200 75% effort
    2*100 alt 80%/60% effort
    4*50 alt 90%/50% effort
    8*25 alt 100%/40% effort
    )
    200 cool down

Masters tonight (as I won't make Thursday), there were only two lanes so I was in with the fish... no bother to them, they did breast for the first set while I tried to keep up! I jumped ahead for the 50's and 25's, and enjoyed the sprinting effort. On one of the 25's I was sitting right on top of the water, a great feeling and the sort of swimming you strive for all the time.
    Afterwards I got a couple of useful pointers from one of the lads, he said I wasn't finishing my hand exit, and reckons it stems from not moving the rotator cuff inwards at the start of the stroke (leading to hand pushing down on the water, leading to hip issues, leading to timing issues...). He suggested a few schulling drills, as well as consciously thinking about moving the rotator cuff at the front end of the stroke.

• Advertisement

Tue 40 min S&C; 45min easy run

The strength work is getting better, as I’m getting stronger, but the running... didn’t feel great tonight on a very easy run (5:30 pace). Nothing really to blame but a long day staring at figures. I’m only really noting it here to read back over in a few months; pace or how I feel is largely irrelevant in November. Much more notable to actually get out on these dark nights and make that a habit.

Wed 30mins Fastlane

Front schull, working on the initial part of the arm entry... basically rotating my rotator cuff inwards and a high elbow catch follows. From the initial feedback in the Fastlane this seems to produce instant results, I felt as though I had much more power in my stroke than usual.

I was meant to do a 90min easy run but had a very busy day and evening so that got cancelled.

Thurs 40min S&C; 60mins Masters

17*200 off 3:30

The air quality in Arklow isn't too bad now so I'll move to 2 days a week for a while.
    I was itching to try that rotator cuff roll, and sure enough it worked very well. It seems to tie up a lot of different elements in my stroke; leads to a higher elbow and better catch, timing is much better, more power at the back end... just feels like the complete package.
    As the swim went on my stroke diminished on tiring arms, but consciously focussing on the higher elbow seemed to help. We were going well in our lane, coming in 3:10 at first, dropping towards 3:20 for the last few (I missed a couple of 50's with foot cramp). Overall though I'm very happy with this session, its the best I've swam in a while and augurs well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

As someone who’s out of the pool 8 weeks with rotator cuff tendinitis after a stroke change that involved more shoulder rotation..........be careful :)

Very good point, tread warily when it come to shoulder muscles!

FWIW I think the key is to treat the shoulder rotation as the starting point that leads to a higher elbow, rather than a propulsion in itself (early days though, I'll keep an eye on things over the next while)

Friday 10min yoga, 1:05 turbo

10 mins easy spin
    10 mins as 10 * ( 30' hard, 30' easy )
    5 * {5 min 'on' @ PE 5-6 .... power / effort should build ... but from easy to moderate and no more
    3 min easy
    }
    5 mins easy

Sat 17k hilly run

This wasn't quite on trails, but a pretty good substitute of hilly backroads that showed the best of the area and the best of Autumn. After being dropped off in Aughrim I ran through Annacurra woods- can't believe its been so long since I've been here! They were a regular route when Junior was playing rugby a few years back. Anyway, out and cross the main road, and onto the lesser-travelled country roads, tree-lined and offering great views across over the Tinahely side of things. It was a great evening to be out, the sun going down earlier made for some decent cloudscapes. I kept the pace easy and the run enjoyable.

Sun Rest

I was at the NAC all day with Junior, morning session and evening. Nothing for me to do but watch a really good gala (side entertainment of waterpolo squads). The almost empty "triathlete" pool looked tempting but I had actual talent to watch and assist... the lad took a big step forward today, his best gala yet. His 100fly now beats my 100free PB by 2 seconds... roll on tomorrow evening Masters session!

Mon 15min yoga, 8k easy run 5:12/km average

Tue 10min yoga, 1:15 bike
    Had to pick up the car in Enniscorthy so a boneshaker backroads spin. Good to be outside for a change!

Wed 15min yoga, 8k easy run 5:18/km average; 45min S&C weights

Thurs 15min yoga, 6k easy run; 40min S&C; 3,300m Masters
    Run:
    Easy enough run on an early sunlit trail, the river swollen and the forest beaten after last nights storm.
    I'm going to try and fit in at least 30mins running (easy where not prescribed) each day for the rest of the year. Having received a good set of results from recent bloodwork, I've to look elsewhere for reasons why I'm not hitting top gear in the running lately. My weight has been static around 90kg for the past while, but the body fat is 26% which puts me in the obese category. If I can't get the weight down to 87kg (and BF closer 20%) by Xmas, there's no point in pretending I'm going to hit any Tri goals next year, and I'll sell my gear and focus on swimming instead. I think this is realistic rather than pessimistic- I've remained chunky over the past few years and have eked out some decent performances. This suggests the underlying "talent" is there and that a focus on weight loss will produce significant results.
    Nothing I don't already know of course, but if I don't set and hit weight targets by Xmas there's little point in wasting time pretending I need to be coached. The elephant in the room needs to be addressed, or a change of sports direction will occur. Its not a bad problem to have!

Swim:
    200 warmup
    10*(25 schull, 25 swim), 10s
    Main: 2 sets (all swim pb)
    {4*75 off 1:25
    4*50 off 50
    20s rest
    4*75 off 1:25
    4*50 off 50
    20s rest
    4*75 off 1:25}

This felt good, I was trying out the new-ish stroke (its harder with pull bouy but problems/benefits are magnified using it so its useful). Think I'm starting to see the purpose of a slight shoulder rotation- when it works it works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

a few Hiit cardio workouts a week would really help shred the lbs Kurt, maybe instead of adding extra 30min runs to your plan add hiit training instead, can be done on the turbo,treadmill or rowing machine, a simple 5 mins warm up then 24 x 30sec on 30sec off and 5 min cool down, all done in 34 mins, on's @ 9/10 off's @ 3/10, its a win win, less weight = more speed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

That's a lot of pressure to be putting on yourself to hit by Christmas, would it be better to maybe say that the weight is down rather than a specific figure? It's the middle of winter too so no need to be at racing weight or a low weight at this time of year, same as your run, you don't need it to be super fast right now, plenty of time to lose weight and build speed before the season. I know I'd normally be around 7/8% heavier at this time of year than the summer and wouldn't be near my summer speed either, on any of the sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Triathlon is no country for old men ;)

@Pmaldini- I was just chatting about intensity for weight loss last night with a couple of the lads... specifically boxing training (bagwork and skipping)... but the intention is the same. I don't think I'll be targeting it specifically just at the moment- mainly as I'm wary of injury. But will keep it in mind for the New Year!

@joey- losing weight and having loss goals is more about "sh!t or get off the pot" at this stage ;) I've been mentioning weight loss for years without doing anything substantial about it. I'm destroyed on the bike on courses with any sort of hill, and you just can't race well in Tri carrying excess weight. Could be that I'm not really willing to lose weight (I enjoy food and all that goes with it ;)!) so if I don't hit a target by Jan 1st I'll accept that and concentrate more on swimming- seals and whales are more than competitive in the water! No biggie, its all about enjoying what you do (and enjoying getting the best out of what you can do).

@Griff- no doubt! I'll give you a good deal on all my Tri gear young man ;)

• Advertisement

Fri 15min yoga, 6k easy run; 10min yoga, 1:30 turbo

Run:
    It was pissing down cold globs of wet grey misery but once the first few steps are taken, there's no better place to be than the empty forest trails on a November afternoon. I felt great for this run, all systems were functioning. Just 30 mins easy, but a very enjoyable 30 mins easy all the same.

Turbo:
    10min EZ
    5*(30s hard, 1:30 EZ)
    4 sets of (4*(1min @ 240W, 1min 300W), 4min EZ)
    15min @ 260W
    7min EZ

This under/over is a nice set, just enough hurt/relief in each 60s rep without being too draining. I felt good for it.
    I put a new open saddle on the turbo- having never used them before I was amazed just how much difference it made. Need to look after the crown jewels ;)

Sat 15min yoga, 6k easy run

I had family stuff all day, and a committee meeting at 8am, so only managed a short easy run beforehand (rather than the intended 90 mins). Aviva stadium later for USA match, probably a better match to attend than watch on TV. Ringrose was unbelievable throughout.

Sun 87km bike

Home-Tinahely-Shillelagh-Carnew-Gorey-Arklow-Woodenbridge-Aughrim-Home

I had led out for 55km, sucked wheel for the next 15km, and died for the remainder. The whole 87km was unfueled (opted against the tempting brownie with coffee) and I bonked towards the end. I guess thats ok in that I was most certainly in a fat-burning phase, but the final 20k or so got progressively more wobbly and I was glad to make it home and refuel. Probably pushed things a bit harder than I should have, a mixture of distance, effort, and no fuel. But good to be out on the roads with a gang.

Mon 60min Masters

200warmup
    4*50 descending, 10s
    200 free steady
    4*50 descending, 10s
    5*50 Sprint off 5mins
    200 swim down

My day was very busy (up and down to Dublin twice) and there was nowhere to fit in the scheduled run. A late drive back from Dublin meant I just about made tonight’s session, better that than nothing.
    My splits were 34.4, 34.0, 33.3, 34.4, 33.7. I’m content rather than thrilled with that, to be honest yesterdays bonk on the bike was still in the body and I didn’t feel very powerful. I swam well for the third one, coasted the fourth, but just didn’t have the zip to break 33 on the last.

Tue 10min yoga, 1:20 turbo
    10 mins steady to build
    5 * ( 30' all out 1.30 easy)
    3 * (15 mins building from PE 3 to 8 every 3 mins, 5 mins easy)

Felt good for this session, the "builds" went well and felt strong throughout for the effort.

Wed 15min yoga, 12k run

Very windy and stormy today, I ran through swirling gusts of rain in the forest. Lots of branches down from last nights storm, and the paths were sodden and heavy underfoot.
    Easy enough for the first 30mins- although I think I'm settling into a mug's game of running "easy" too fast- dial it up for the next 15mins, and bringing it into a stronger zone for the last 15mins. I was struggling towards the end, again the pace/effort ratio could be better, buy I suppose it could be worse too (its getting better).

Thurs 10min yoga, 1:11 turbo; 60min Masters

Turbo:
    10 mins easy to build
    5 mins as 30' hard, 30' easy
    easy 60'
    4 * 8 mins at 7-8 PE with 2 mins between recovery
    Easy 15 mins recovery to finish

Bit of a controlled sweatfest but I felt strong.

Masters:
    100 warmup
    9*400 off 7:00 (in 6:30)

Felt very good for this. The higher elbow catch and pull is paying dividends, and it feels like a much better way of swimming.
    The only issue I had were bad foot cramps which messed up the 6th and 9th rep, otherwise I felt this was as good as I've ever swam. Diolyrite would have helped: mental note.

Fri Rest day

Sat15min yoga, 2:10 trail run; 30min Fastlane

It was lashing rain and dark this morning when Junior was at swimming, thankfully I was doing bank duty so the decision to run or not was made. Instead I got out later in the morning around the Kyle loop in the hills of Tinahely. The rain stopped but the trails were very wet, and often they became a stream which had to be run up against. Didn't see a sinner out there today, in truth it was quite nice to be out on these lonely moors. My first sight of the giant turbines on the top of Ballycumber, they appeared slowly in the heavy cloud as I ran by.

Fastlane:
    5min warmup 1:42 pace
    10min front schulling
    10*(100m at 1:30pace, 15s)

The body was a bit sore after the earlier hills, some splashing in magical water helped no end.
    I'm consciously trying to keep a higher elbow and it is starting to feel more natural.

Sun 10min yoga, 87k spin, 30min Fastlane; 33min easy run

home-Tinahely-Shillelagh-Bunclody-Ballon-Tullow-Hacketstown-Tinahely-home
    I kept this nice and easy for this first 45k section, just an easy rolling effort on a fresh morning to the coffee stop. Cake looked tempting ;) but just a coffee as this was another "fasted" spin. I took water with me this time though and it seemed to make a difference.
    On the way back I put in some decent efforts, 3*(15min PE7/8 in front, 5min sucking wheel).

I was locked out of the house after the bike so hopped into the pool for 30min very easy recovery swim (1:52 pace, with pb).

Later a very easy recovery run at dusk in the forest.

Mon 15min yoga, 58min run; 60min Masters
    Run:
    A big meeting in Dublin today had me working till 11:30pm last night, and 6:30am this morning... I got everything prepared , had a window of an hour and a half so tipped up to the Railway walk. First 30mins very easy (shaking out some leg stiffness from yesterday), then 15min a bit faster, and finish the last 15min working harder still. Felt good to have done it (and it set me up nicely for the meeting later)

Swim:
    200 wu
    10*75 (descending pace each 25), 10s
    16*25 pb decreasing strokes, 20s
    16*25 swim decreasing strokes, 20s
    1*200 count stroke lengths
    2*100 same stroke lengths
    100 swim down

I found this tough, really a step too far mentally when I'm getting used to the new high elbow- decreasing strokes per length (from 14 down to 9) on top of that was a bit too much mentally. My steady pace uses 18/19 strokes each 25m, probably need to take that down to 16/17- introduce a slight pause/glide and work more at the back end.

Tue 10min yoga, 1:23 turbo; 6.1k easy run

10 mins warm up easy build
    5*(30' on, 30 off)
    4 sets of {
    4 * {
    1 min @ 60-70 RPM ... 10-15% below FTP
    1 min @ 90-100 RPM .. 10-15% over FTP
    }
    4 mins easy
    }
    15 mins steady at 260 WATTS
    easy for remainder

I hit what I needed to hit, this was a nice session.

Later a very easy recovery jog around the rainy streets of Gorey.

Wed 40min S&C, 6k run; 30min Fastlane

The run was an easy jog along the muddy trails in the forest. Always good to run here, no matter what the time of year.

Fastlane:
    15min easy->build
    5min schulling
    10min steady focus on hand entry/exit

Thurs 10min yoga, 1:00 turbo; 5.6k easy jog; 60min Masters

10 mins easy to build
    5*(30' hard, 30' easy)
    easy 60'
    4 * 8 mins at 7-8 PE with 2 mins between recovery
    Easy 15 mins recovery to finish

Lots of tech problems (ipad battery, zwift payment subs ceasing midway!) meant this was a very truncated turbo with a few breaks, and all the boxes were scribbled rather than neatly ticked.

Later an easy pre-swim jog around Arklow.

Masters:
    400 WU
    10*(25k, 25fist, 10s)
    10*(100 off 1:35, 100 off 1:55)
    100 swim down

A good session this one, felt like I was swimming properly for the first time in ages. I led out the first 6 reps and grabbed a tow for the last 4. Happy with how this session went.

• Advertisement

Fri 30min easy run

Busy busy busy so just squeezed in an easy run.
    Sat 10min yoga, 1:30 run

Very early start, dropped Junior to swimming and ran out of Courtown waiting and watching for the sun to rise over the eastern horizon. Finished through the forest and running along the soft sand of the shoreline as I was wetted by sea spray.

Sun 1:55 turbo; 31min easy run
    60min easy/steady, 4*(10min 260W+, 5min Easy)
    I had to drive the girls Xmas shopping in Dublin, so squeezed in an early turbo beforehand.
    Later a very easy pace run around the old stomping grounds of Marlay Park. Beats the Mall hands down.

Advertisement