Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you look for in New tenants?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Fol20 wrote: »
    I’m afraid you have a double whammy. I wouldn’t want pets more so than HAP and tbh if your renting, people should have dogs and cats as nearly all landlords in Ireland don’t want pets in their property. It’s for good reasons as well. Animals can do a lot of damage to everything. One of my tenants who I had to get rid of hid pets in the house when I checked the place. After he moved out. He left a mound of poop in the back behind the shed, scratch’s on the bottom of doors and couches etc. this couple with HAP will make it extremely difficult unless your looking for a dive of a place that no one wants. If you look at it from their point of view. One tenant, might be a working professional, no kids,no dogs, no HAP vs all of those. Based on the above it’s a no brained if both candidates are the same in everything else

If it comes to it, a dive of a place might be my only option. My child has asd and is extremely attached to the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

davo10 wrote: »
    All those reports of property shortages must be wrong, fake news maybe.

I’m sorry, do you not believe my statement? :confused: I haven’t just lived in Ireland, I’ve lived in other places with rental property shortages, some quite severe. So relax on the “the landlord will pass you over if you don’t have blah de blah de blah” statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

As a single lady I dont know any singletons so are renting that have 6000 at their disposal. And if I did I certainly wouldnt give it to a landlord so im now poor, and hes sitting there with my 6grand in the bank moaning because its too expensive to fix a washing maching etc.
    Also you dont know for sure you will get it back
    I work for reputable company ,and ive reference from current landlord, that is more than enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I’m sorry, do you not believe my statement? :confused: I haven’t just lived in Ireland, I’ve lived in other places with rental property shortages, some quite severe. So relax on the “the landlord will pass you over if you don’t have blah de blah de blah” statements.

I had assumed we were talking about the current Irish market, sorry, which market are you posting about?

I had assumed we were talking about the current Irish market, sorry, which market are you posting about?

I was talking about my previous rental experience, why would you assume it was just in Ireland? Ireland isn’t special, landlords have the same concerns everywhere in the world. I’ve rented in pressured rental markets before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

when did you say you last looked for a rental in Ireland?
    Im sure youll be grand anyway. Eventually everyone finds something that suits.

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    As a single lady I dont know any singletons so are renting that have 6000 at their disposal. And if I did I certainly wouldnt give it to a landlord so im now poor, and hes sitting there with my 6grand in the bank moaning because its too expensive to fix a washing maching etc.
    I work for reputable company ,and ive reference from current landlord, that is more than enough

Im sure it would be enough for some landlords and hopefully youll find those. For others it wouldnt though.

I was talking about my previous rental experience, why would you assume it was just in Ireland? Ireland isn’t special, landlords have the same concerns everywhere in the world. I’ve rented in pressured rental markets before.

Oh Ireland is special. Ask Simon Coveny. He made it special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

__..__ wrote: »

Im sure it would be enough for some landlords and hopefully youll find those. For others it wouldnt though.
    Doesnt bother me any more. Had enough of landlords and their greed, and their unwillingness to buy anything new for places

What?

Because it's an Irish discussion forum, discussing rentals in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Doesnt bother me any more. Had enough of landlords and their greed, and their unwillingness to buy anything new for places

Sure why would it bother you if you are not looking for those specific properties.

__..__ wrote: »
    Oh Ireland is special. Ask Simon Coveny. He made it special.

If you like.

What?

Because it's an Irish discussion forum, discussing rentals in Ireland.

My point was, I have rented in tough markets before, I’m not without experience of this.

And by doing so, you might not end up with the best tenant. Turning down someone with good financials, good references from previous and work and who you just get a good feeling about (very important) because they don’t have contact details for someone they rented from five years ago? Really?

My point is, being a total jobsworth about your “checks” could see you missing out on a great tenant.

What every about going way back in rentals you definitely need the 2nd LL back as there is always a big question mark over a glowing reference from the tenants current LL as they could very well be doing it to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Unless you tell the tenant blatantly to their face they are being refused for hap or any of the other grounds then they have no case so you have no worries about the wrc.

This is ridiculous. There are 3 methods of discrimination, you have ruled out just 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Working professionals either single or a couple, good English, or two colleagues. You will usually instinctively know. No dogs. Cats ok and good pest control. Preferably no children. Small baby ok.

Avoid HAP and RAS tenants. They brick the place. I simply don't answer those emails. I'm ineligible to accept HAP payments anyway even if I wanted to.

Be wary of emails going around recently that landlords are receiving - the email purports to be from a professional person allegedly seeking accommodation and wanting a viewing then when you probe into it they are working for one of the homeless trusts. Could well be a set up to hit prospective landlords for damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Avoid HAP and RAS tenants. They brick the place. I simply don't answer those emails. I'm ineligible to accept HAP payments anyway even if I wanted to.

Have you had direct experience of letting to HAP/RAS recipients or is your point of view based solely on hearsay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

chicorytip wrote: »
    Have you had direct experience of letting to HAP/RAS recipients or is your point of view based solely on hearsay?

Yes. Only time used a letting agent also. Tenants came reference checked. I was living overseas when the viewing took place.

He put settled travellers in who were conducting criminal activity from the premises and claiming duplicate welfare payments in the North. Gardai contacted me and lambasted me for letting to them.

Eventually they stopped paying the rent also. Social welfare refused to pay the RAS portion directly to me.

Ultimately got a private detective friend and his security guard sidekick to broker a deal with them whereby they agreed to leave.

No HAP, no RAS, no apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What do you look for in New tenants?

In my case previously (I'm no longer someone renting a premises for obvious reasons) a very healthy bank balance or better, company paying. And a bit of clever intel.

Preferred renters being youngish but mature professionals with kids or divorcees with kids that have very healthy bank balances, all with long term interest. House was rented out with no furnishings, white painted wipable walls and ceilings, a solid kitchen with a stone or fabricated stone worktop, high end integrated "white" goods and glass heat-proof backspash. Natural Stone floors downstairs, hard wood upstairs.

My thinking was if they make it their home they'll look after it. Bulletproof, quality flooring and kitchens are worth it.

The most important thing for me was the location location location of the property for attracting the right type of tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

They currently have a RAS tenant in another house. She's been there >10 years, and is the easiest tenant they have ever had.

If they have good tenants already, why are they asking for advise?

• Advertisement

If they have good tenants already, why are they asking for advise?

Two different houses, they have one rented out and now have another available to rent out. That's my understanding of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

How much do you think an Irish landlord makes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

3 Months rent is fair. It might reduce the applicants some what ;)

3 Months rent is fair. It might reduce the applicants some what ;)

Just like for jobs etc, it is all about cutting down the applications to a manageable level.
    So you use a broad knife to cut it at first and then then get into the finer details when the number is manageable.

Something like if they dont have a cover letter or one that doesn't supply the info you are interested in just cut it.
    Potential tenants should be aware of what their prospective landlord wants to know and volunteer that info up front. Then after that the landlord can check out refs if that person makes their short list.
    But a long list is just impossible to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

It’s not just about not having the money, it’s that that’s a big chunk of money that the tenant isn’t earning interest on by handing it over to a landlord. Why should the landlord benefit from the interest?

It is 2017, there is no interests being offered on deposits in most banks. I am sure a landlord will be fair and give the tenant the 0.1% that they will earn with it on deposit in BOI...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

This is ridiculous. Who has the money.for 3 months. Its hard enough for some people to pay the month deposit and month upfront, as rents are so high now.

Well in New York, where rents are a lot higher and often wages are no better. They some how manage to scrap three months rent together. I imagine the same people who think three months rent as a deposit is ridiculous and impossible, have had no shortage of luxury spending eg holidays, concerts etc.

Three months deposit shows a landlord, you can actually manage your finances. If you are earning €40,000-50,000 a year and don't have three months deposits, there is no way I would rent to you.
    Also this isnt nyc its ireland

And? NYC is full of professional landlords and REITs. Ireland is becoming more and more like NYC when it comes to the management and letting of property. Irish tenants hate "unprofessional landlords". They want nice professional REITs from places like Texas or California. Yet they are not willing to follow the norms of them ie a deposit of a month is not going to cut it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Three months deposit shows a landlord, you can actually manage your finances. If you are earning €40,000-50,000 a year and don't have three months deposits, there is no way I would rent to you.

What if you are only earning 20-30k. Three months is almost impossible

Ive spent about 70,000 in rent over the last 5 years. I dont have 3 months rent to spare for a deposit. Not because I'm bad at managing ny finances, but because ive been paying bloody rent.

I don't know very many people who have 4k sitting around they could use for a deposit for a rental. As a way of weeding out dead beat tenants I think this is a poor strategy.

By all means, last landlord reference, work reference, etc. But last 3 landlord references is a bit much. As another poster said, ringing the landlord of someone who rented from them 7 or 8 years ago is most likely going to get you a "Who?!?".

Simple question, why dont you get a garda clearance check on the person you are thinking of renting to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Ive spent about 70,000 in rent over the last 5 years. I dont have 3 months rent to spare for a deposit. Not because I'm bad at managing ny finances, but because ive been paying bloody rent.

I don't know very many people who have 4k sitting around they could use for a deposit for a rental. As a way of weeding out dead beat tenants I think this is a poor strategy.

By all means, last landlord reference, work reference, etc. But last 3 landlord references is a bit much. As another poster said, ringing the landlord of someone who rented from them 7 or 8 years ago is most likely going to get you a "Who?!?".

Simple question, why dont you get a garda clearance check on the person you are thinking of renting to?

Cant do garda clearance on tenants. But what we do need is proper credit check facilities in Ireland and standardised terms to enable fair measurement. It will never happen while data protection is so strong / there are so many service suppliers behaving like idiots.

• Advertisement

Garda check is out.

"Who" is a good answer, if the tenant was a dead beat, the LL would remember him/her.

For most, including myself, the three months is not a deposit. It is first months rent, last months rent plus the equivalent of one month deposit. The "4K" is not sitting in the LL's bank account, it is used to pay two months rent during your tenancy. If it was three months deposit, you would actually have to pay four months including first months rent on signing lease, I haven't heard of that but anything is possible these days.

Op, new list of tribunal cases published on website, always check to see if applicants for your property are on site, if they are, don't take the risk.

Advertisement