Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you look for in New tenants?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

__..__ wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a no smelling dog.

You could say the same of people but we wash more often than dogs.

I get your point though, owners tend to not smell the dog or get used to it, the same as with cooking smells or other odours in their own place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Broken logic in my opinion :(

Humans and especially kids, are much more likely to cause significant damage to furniture than any pet can.

Kids will spill their drink/food on the couch, kids will wipe their dirty mucky hands on the couch. Kids will jump up and down on the bed and have play fights while crashing into everything and breaking stuff.

But a pet sleeping on a couch is a greater financial risk :confused:. The worst thing about pets is the shedding of hair. The end.

Landlords need to get rid of their backwards thinking.

When I moved into my current house every piece of furniture had writing on it from markers obviously done by the previous tenants kids. Also everything at kick height was marked.

I was lucky in getting a LL who allowed my dog at the time and I've now been there nearly 3 years and he's only delighted with me. He's popped out only twice in all that time and each time he says the house looks better.

I've gotten the garden done, painted decking and outside doors and windows, got new gates etc. all at my own expense.

I know a young healthy couple on the other hand who don't think it's their job to do their garden or paint their front door. The door is disgraceful looking. 10 euro tin of paint and a bit of labour is all it takes.

Someone said earlier not to take single tenants because they'd be asking you to change the light-bulbs as if being single means you don't know how to do this. It's getting ridiculous.

I understand LL's worries, I am one myself so I know the pitfalls but there just isn't a set formula for the perfect tenant. A lot of it is instinct, most of us know decent people when we meet them.

I've often been offered way over the odds for my house without meeting the tenants and I've always turned it down because there's no way I'm allowing someone to move into my house who I haven't met. One of them was a doctor who did sent me his bank statements showing a huge amount of money but this to me just doesn't tell you what the actual person is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Brake pads, nearly wet myself laughing at that :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Neyite wrote: »
    My point is that I've got 25 years worth of excellent references- my landlords were free to pop in for a cuppa whenever they liked. I never had an issue with them needing to let themselves in while I was at work to do a necessary repair, because I've always managed to build a mutually respectful relationship with them. But based on this thread with the ridiculous criteria some have, I wouldn't have gotten further than a phone call.

Neyite- part of the trouble is- you've been an outstanding tenant for 25 years- however, to a landlord- you are one prospective tenant in what can be a large group of prospective tenants- you have no way to highlight your excellent history as a tenant and the great relationship you've had with your landlords over the last 25 years..........

If there was some sort of a scheme- perhaps administered by the RTB itself- where tenants could sign up (and landlord too)- and on the elapse of the tenancy (for whatever reason) a rating could be assigned to the tenant (or landlord) for simplicities sake- use a 5 star rating- along with a brief 1-2 line comment from the landlord or tenant on how their dealings were- along with 1-2 lines from the RTB on the length of the tenancy and possibly the reason the tenancy ended.

There are loads of tenants out there- and landlords too- who would be falling over themselves- to subscribe to a properly run rating system- which they could then use to distinguish themselves from the vast hoard of prospective tenants who chase any property in a high demand area.

If I were a landlord seeking a tenant- and someone turned up and could show me a spotless record as a tenant over the last 25 years- maintained by the likes of the RTB- and I'd just had an incident with an overholding tenant who decided not to pay their rent for a protracted period of time- I'd probably start crying in relief to have found you.

Unfortunately- your impeccable record- doesn't really count for an awful lot- unless you can use it to sell yourself as a prospective tenant (that is of course- if you are seeking a new tenancy somewhere).

Its much the same way- we don't have the likes of Experian operating here- where people can print off their credit scores and bring them with them- or the reciprochal- a landlord could show his credit score, so a prospective tenant wasn't terrified the property they were looking at might be repossessed by a bank or other mortgage institution............

These little safeguards and securities- are taken for granted in most other markets- but yet, we have nothing similar here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

If you see my car, I probably can't rent anything ever. It's this crappy small car that brings kids from A to B. A children's car isn't a car when you don't have some McDonald's chips lingering out between the seat when you find the time to clean it every 3 months. :rolleyes:
    It has new tires though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

If I ever go ro rent again, ill turn up in sparkly leopard print shoes, wearing lots of make up, but my clothes might have a few creases (cos apparently if you dont iron your a bad tennant)
    Ill hand the landlord my car service receipt, so he can check the brake pads
    Then ill hand over a lightbulb and come over all girly saying I expect him to chAnge it as im a single girly and cant do it my self

I am definitely getting the house right?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

con1982 wrote: »
    Quiet couple in their 30/40s. No kids. People who keep a tidy place.

How can you tell that people keep a tidy place?

Why no kids? What happens if the couple have a child after 6 months or whatever?
    Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Thats not true. I guarantee I earn a lot more than most couples, why should I be penalised for chosing to be single.

"Usually" is the key word here, and usually, 2 people make more money than 1.
    When you have 50-60 prospective tenants looking for accommodation in a high demand area- you can afford to be just as picky as you choose- and to use whatever criteria you like to whittle down the pack to the most suitable tenant from your perspective. You are handing over an asset worth anything between 250-500k- and you deserve to have a reasoned idea that it'll be well kept and cared for.

Some of your suggestions are incredibly odd. You are free to select the criteria yourself, but in the current market, be sure that a lot of people are going to "pass" your silly requests.

How do you go about checking somebodies breakpads? That's the oddest thing I have heard regarding renting requirements.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous to be honest especially when we have no escrow system and a dispute could take forever to resolve while you're waiting for your money back.

I don't know what escrow is to be honest. Not everybody has 3X to put down as a deposit, but it's also not a lot of money. 1X rent covers very very little. I'd be asking for 3X rent and attempt to set up a joint account, which requires 2 signers for withdrawal.

It's only ridiculous because we are used to paying only 1 months rent as a deposit.

What's really ridiculous are some of the requests/demands on here. It's completely understandable that you want to secure your investment and make sure your property is safe from harm, but I fail to see how having a creased tshirt, bling shoes or a broken tail light helps you decide if they are the right tenant. There's some real illogical nonsense in here.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned strong smelling foods though.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Brake pads, nearly wet myself laughing at that :D

I had a little Fiat 126 at the time- and was looking to rent a small bedsit between Rathmines and Rathgar. There was a queue of postgrads all interested in the bedsit- which was damn convenient for UCD. The owner of the property- walked me out after I viewed the place and said I'd hear back by the end of the week. He made a joke about my tiny little car and Fiats not being very reliable. On Friday when he rang me- he said the fact that my car was kept in such good condition was the deciding factor (despite taking the piss out of it in front of me- then again, the 126 was like a small little box on wheels). I stayed there a few years- and was very happy there.

I guess he didn't have a lot to distinguish between the different prospective tenants- and my car showed him- that despite the fact that I was broke and had a crap car- I was taking good care of it- and I would likely take good care of his property?

I just met with my friend who is a rental agent.
    Her list is
    3 months bank statements, only to look for rent being paid
    One landlord reference
    Work reference
    One month rent and deposit

She will check all reference and try get a feeling for the people.

However she fell on the floor laughing at the brake pads, and shoes, and going round to the neighbors points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

LirW wrote: »
    If you see my car, I probably can't rent anything ever. It's this crappy small car that brings kids from A to B. A children's car isn't a car when you don't have some McDonald's chips lingering out between the seat when you find the time to clean it every 3 months. :rolleyes:
    It has new tires though!
    That's revolting. I have children, there is no food stuck in the seats.

• Advertisement

I just met with my friend who is a rental agent.
    Her list is
    3 months bank statements, only to look for rent being paid
    One landlord reference
    Work reference
    One month rent and deposit

She will check all reference and try get a feeling for the people.

However she fell on the floor laughing at the brake pads, and shoes, and going round to the neighbors points

And if you haven't rented before? Pretty shallow point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I've found most rental agents care less about the property then the tenants. When they place a bad tenant, most disappear. The incentive with them is with volume, not quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I had a little Fiat 126 at the time- and was looking to rent a small bedsit between Rathmines and Rathgar. There was a queue of postgrads all interested in the bedsit- which was damn convenient for UCD. The owner of the property- walked me out after I viewed the place and said I'd hear back by the end of the week. He made a joke about my tiny little car and Fiats not being very reliable. On Friday when he rang me- he said the fact that my car was kept in such good condition was the deciding factor (despite taking the piss out of it in front of me- then again, the 126 was like a small little box on wheels). I stayed there a few years- and was very happy there.

I guess he didn't have a lot to distinguish between the different prospective tenants- and my car showed him- that despite the fact that I was broke and had a crap car- I was taking good care of it- and I would likely take good care of his property?

Did he remove a wheel to check your brake pads!? Come on like.

I've found most rental agents care less about the property then the tenants. When they place a bad tenant, most disappear. The incentive with them is with volume, not quality.

Do you know my friend. NO!!!
    She is a very careful agent and would be strict on the vetting
    Dont assume ,or comment on people you dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Did he remove a wheel to check your brake pads!? Come on like.

"I'm broke and spend all my money on my car upkeep than i will in rent"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

"I found found that X group is most likely to do Y"

"Well I know person A in X group that doesn't do Y"

"Well, since you know person A, clearly my every interaction with X group is clearly wrong"

Do you know my friend. NO!!!
    She is a very careful agent and would be strict on the vetting
    Dont assume ,or comment on people you dont know

Another key word missed, "most"... Why do you not read the posts properly? Why are you taking everything personal and getting offended? Seriously, get over it.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

On the one month's deposit, then three months up front and rent payable quarterly...

That means that by the time they've been in the place three months, they'll somehow have to have come up with 7 months' rent like. Are you for real?

In Dublin, for a bog-standard 2 bed and going off average rents about 6 months ago... that's ~€11,200 for 3 months in the place.

Jog on ffs.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Neyite- part of the trouble is- you've been an outstanding tenant for 25 years- however, to a landlord- you are one prospective tenant in what can be a large group of prospective tenants- you have no way to highlight your excellent history as a tenant and the great relationship you've had with your landlords over the last 25 years..........

If there was some sort of a scheme- perhaps administered by the RTB itself- where tenants could sign up (and landlord too)- and on the elapse of the tenancy (for whatever reason) a rating could be assigned to the tenant (or landlord) for simplicities sake- use a 5 star rating- along with a brief 1-2 line comment from the landlord or tenant on how their dealings were- along with 1-2 lines from the RTB on the length of the tenancy and possibly the reason the tenancy ended.

There are loads of tenants out there- and landlords too- who would be falling over themselves- to subscribe to a properly run rating system- which they could then use to distinguish themselves from the vast hoard of prospective tenants who chase any property in a high demand area.

If I were a landlord seeking a tenant- and someone turned up and could show me a spotless record as a tenant over the last 25 years- maintained by the likes of the RTB- and I'd just had an incident with an overholding tenant who decided not to pay their rent for a protracted period of time- I'd probably start crying in relief to have found you.

Unfortunately- your impeccable record- doesn't really count for an awful lot- unless you can use it to sell yourself as a prospective tenant (that is of course- if you are seeking a new tenancy somewhere).

Its much the same way- we don't have the likes of Experian operating here- where people can print off their credit scores and bring them with them- or the reciprochal- a landlord could show his credit score, so a prospective tenant wasn't terrified the property they were looking at might be repossessed by a bank or other mortgage institution............

These little safeguards and securities- are taken for granted in most other markets- but yet, we have nothing similar here.

Deposits should be put in an escrow account. An independent rating scheme to protect both parties is a great idea. It would need to have some sort of safeguards to avoid being a kind of rental version of Trip Advisor. Otherwise problems will occur when you have a tenant giving you a poor score because you won't let them have parties or you won't change a light bulb, or you know, you got a bit narked that the rent was only a fortnight late. I mean, they only turn 24 and a half once, right? :P On the flip side you might have a landlord not liking the way you don't make your bed in the morning, expect to be able to enter the property and help themselves to your tea or you moved that armchair over there.*

*all real examples from my rental experience with house mates and dodgy landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Don't offer a 1 year lease. It'll just deprive you if the only rights you have as a landlord - the ability to remove a tenant in the first 6 months if the tenancy.

Look for 3 months deposit.

Wanting the benefits of a long term rental market (where large deposits are the norm) and deny the tenant the same chance.. sounds great!

OP- check as many references as possible, any other criteria is a generalisation

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Asking a former neighbour of a tenant could back fire too.

Say for instance I had a party-mad neighbour who's weed smoke blew constantly into my house and you asked me if they were good neighbours, I'm likely to say yes just to get rid of them! :P

A good neighbour does not necessarily make a good tenant.

pilly wrote: »
    I know a young healthy couple on the other hand who don't think it's their job to do their garden or paint their front door. The door is disgraceful looking. 10 euro tin of paint and a bit of labour is all it takes.

The garden could be argued either way and depends on the house. House share where people move in/out fairly regularly I'd say the LL should probably take responsibility, a house let to a couple/family etc I'd say the tenants should probably look after it. Painting the door is 100% the LLs responsibility though, in fact if I was the LL I would forbid any painting etc by the tenants.

The garden could be argued either way and depends on the house. House share where people move in/out fairly regularly I'd say the LL should probably take responsibility, a house let to a couple/family etc I'd say the tenants should probably look after it. Painting the door is 100% the LLs responsibility though, in fact if I was the LL I would forbid any painting etc by the tenants.

Legally the garden and the upkeep of the exterior of the property- is the landlord's responsibility. He/she can delegate the responsibility to the tenant- however, if its not done- the landlord is the one at fault.

LirW wrote: »
    It has new tires though!

I have to say I'd be guilty of judging people based on their car. Not necessarily the brand/age etc but how its kept. A messy car full of crap and food crumbs or with lots of dings and dents always makes me shake my head and wonder how a person can have a car in that condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I have to say I'd be guilty of judging people based on their car. Not necessarily the brand/age etc but how its kept. A messy car full of crap and food crumbs or with lots of dings and dents always makes me shake my head and wonder how a person can have a car in that condition.

With a baby I simply don't manage to clean it out as often as I'd like to I have to admit. And I also don't take as much pride in my old car as I take in my house. I purely see the one I currently have as a tool to get from A to B, if I'd have a new one I know I'd go full cleaning Nazi.
    When I had to travel long distances I had a car that was fairly new and I kept it spotless, I honestly couldn't even tell you why I simply don't do it with that one.
    It's not a driving garbage truck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Well, at least its in the car and not thrown out on the roadside ....

On the one month's deposit, then three months up front and rent payable quarterly...

That means that by the time they've been in the place three months, they'll somehow have to have come up with 7 months' rent like. Are you for real?

In Dublin, for a bog-standard 2 bed and going off average rents about 6 months ago... that's ~€11,200 for 3 months in the place.

Jog on ffs.

Its whats on offer from most corporate enquiries whenever any reasonable units come on the market. Many landlords in Galway and Dublin- are getting this as standard. Others are getting 2-3 months deposit- on top of rent paid in this manner.

1 months rent as a deposit- is unique to Ireland- when I rented in Freiburg- I paid 3 months- ditto Kolmar- and ditto when I was working in Denmark and the Netherlands.

As for 'furnished accommodation' (and crap furniture at that)- thats an Irish and a UK thing. At this stage I think most tenants and landlord would breath a sigh of relief if we were to move away from this antiquated model- which patently isn't working for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

1 months rent as a deposit- is unique to Ireland- when I rented in Freiburg- I paid 3 months- ditto Kolmar- and ditto when I was working in Denmark and the Netherlands.

Nonsense. I have rented in several continental countries and 1 month deposit was the norm. Granted their are some other regional quirks like hot rent/cold rent and so on - but was never asked for more deposit.

Feckin Germans - I moved out in january, and about 13 months later I got sent a bill in the post for heating..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Its whats on offer from most corporate enquiries whenever any reasonable units come on the market. Many landlords in Galway and Dublin- are getting this as standard. Others are getting 2-3 months deposit- on top of rent paid in this manner.

As for 'furnished accommodation' (and crap furniture at that)- thats an Irish and a UK thing. At this stage I think most tenants and landlord would breath a sigh of relief if we were to move away from this antiquated model- which patently isn't working for anyone.

Unfurnished accommodation will only work when we have a culture of long term renting in this country.

As a tenant why would you furnish a place that you're not guaranteed to stay in for any length of time?

I've bought some furniture in the place I'm renting but only pieces that will fit in anywhere.

Also a lot of young people and students don't want/need or care about quality furniture.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Nonsense. I have rented in several continental countries and 1 month deposit was the norm. Granted their are some other regional quirks like hot rent/cold rent and so on - but was never asked for more deposit.

Feckin Germans - I moved out in january, and about 13 months later I got sent a bill in the post for heating..

I got a bill for heating from Freiburg- 6 months after I'd left. I wasn't impressed........ On the brightside- there was a communal heating system for the entire apartment block which also included as much hot water as you could use- it was limitless. Seems like a bit of an odd way of doing it- but its what they did. They did think I was odd for loving hot baths every day though- when all they wanted were 3 minute showers.

Different nationalities do things differently.

Advertisement