Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold - is my wine ruined?

Options
  • 01-10-2017 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

I am brewing elderberry wine using the recipe at this site: https://honest-food.net/elderberry-wine-recipe/

Anyway, for reasons I won't go into here, I couldn't add the yeast for 3 days, so I hoped the combination of hygiene, sugar and boiling of the recipe would keep the bacteria from taking over.

However when I opened it up to put the yeast in, I found what looked like a tiny piece of mold floating on top, about 3-4 mm in diameter. I fished it out with a scolded spoon, but I'm worried that it's just the first signs of the bacteria hard at work - is the batch ruined? Is there anything I can do about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

pictures will help here, need to see it to see what its like

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Or taste it. The only person able to judge if it's drinkable is yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

BeerNut wrote: »
    Or taste it. The only person able to judge if it's drinkable is yourself.

Sorry I threw out the little bit before talking a picture... a few days later and no more has appeared so I might have got away with it. Also, it seems to taste fine, but I would expect that (e.g if jam goes mouldy, it usually tastes ok after the mould is taken away)

Advertisement