Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my e/mail discontinued

Options
  • 01-10-2017 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

help for the last 20 years i have been useing eircom.net ,I also use gmail.com only lately so all my contacts and e/mails are with eircom.net now in the last week i am not getting any e/mail with my eircom.net account i know that Eir have taken over eircom but i cant contact Eir to find out what went wrong ,you cant get through to 1901 or any number without an account cant send an e/mail same reason,am lost at this stage anyone HELP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1530 277 100 - 30c/min. You wont get any hold music/menu as its a premium number, just rings until answered by a human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I have an email with the original name @tinet.ie, then they converted it to @eircom.net.

I tried to login just not and the webmail page hangs. However I did get in using mail2web.com

Go to www.mail2web.com, type in your username and password and allow about 30 seconds. It worked for me just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

When you call and get the menu and when it prompts you for an account, just hit the star button and it will take you to an operator.

There is also a notice on eir's Website regarding eircom.net email accounts.

https://www.eir.ie/email

a7a97b8761.JPG

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

thanks for the replys i was an old customer tinet as well then i went on to eircom but i was useing my email up to last week so dont know how i became dormant,,also just realised why i was not getting any from boards have to chang my email address

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

spatchco wrote: »
    thanks for the replys i was an old customer tinet as well then i went on to eircom but i was useing my email up to last week so dont know how i became dormant,,also just realised why i was not getting any from boards have to chang my email address

you should take it up with eir representatives on boards if you have recently used the account.

it might not be what you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The official Eir line is to use that number, normal support arent supposed to help as you're a free user.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I'm afraid just using our eircom.net address isn't/wasn't enough to stop it being "dormant" - we have to log in to eir's webmail.

I was lucky enough to get a spoof email imitating eir's one about this, otherwise I might never have been aware of the policy. On smelling a rat (not difficult!), I went to the Talk to eir forum to confirm it was a fake email, and saw a thread about it. Eir posted a link(s) there to the genuine announcement. It was ambiguous to me, so I asked what 'access your account' meant exactly, which is how I (eventually!) got the answer there. (Can't seem post a link; it starts 'Is this a genuine email...).

Eir webmail might be worth a try, just in case all is not lost. And mail2web, as ScouseMouse found. (I use myemail.com now, as mail2web went dysfuncional on me for some reason).

Fogmatic wrote: »
    I'm afraid just using our eircom.net address isn't/wasn't enough to stop it being "dormant" - we have to log in to eir's webmail.

Have to log into webmail?

Is it not sufficient to log into the account with the likes of Thunderbird and download the emails to your PC?

Not according to the eir rep on page 2 of this http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057791306

Not according to the eir rep on page 2 of this http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057791306

Are you referring to this?
    Accessing your account means logging into your eir email account. If the email that you have received about this contains any links or is asking you for any personal information it is not from us and I would highly recommend deleting it.

- Adam

That does not mention web-mail ...... only that the e-mail account must be logged into.
    Any client app, such as Thunderbird, that downloads an email to your PC must log in to the account to get that email.

So, yes I question your interpretation of logging in by web-mail. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

Fogmatic thanks for your reply i did not know anything either about having to log into webmail to keep my account only what you have told me now ,but i did get my email sorted [i hope] i had to ring eir 3 times and send an e/mail before i got it sorted and in my case all i had to do was change my password ? but even now when i log into web mail i can see the folders with my e/mail but i cant open them i still can only open them through my gmail account hope this makes sence

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thank you for posting this. I have outlook capturing all my emails and didn't realise that I needed to log into eircom.

When I did - this message was positioned as a header:

"Notification regarding dormant eircom.net webmail accounts

You may have received an email about your eircom.net email account if it has not been accessed for over two years. Click here for further information

Important message: we have been made aware of SPAM emails related to dormant accounts. The legitimate email from eir regarding dormant accounts will not ask you to click on links, contain attachments, link to a login page or request any personal data. If you receive an email claiming to be from eir regarding dormant accounts, do not click on links or open attachments."

I guess the process now is to log into Eircom once a week to stop an account becoming dormant.

Bicycle wrote: »
    Thank you for posting this. I have outlook capturing all my emails and didn't realise that I needed to log into eircom.

When I did - this message was positioned as a header:

"Notification regarding dormant eircom.net webmail accounts

You may have received an email about your eircom.net email account if it has not been accessed for over two years. Click here for further information

Important message: we have been made aware of SPAM emails related to dormant accounts. The legitimate email from eir regarding dormant accounts will not ask you to click on links, contain attachments, link to a login page or request any personal data. If you receive an email claiming to be from eir regarding dormant accounts, do not click on links or open attachments."

I guess the process now is to log into Eircom once a week to stop an account becoming dormant.

Outlook is logging in every time it captures email from your account!

Johnboy 1951; no, I meant this (probably further down in that thread);

Your eir email account means your webmail account that is active with us. I do mean logging into your eir webmail account, this doesn't mean that you have to have any services with us that require payment. There is no specific date that these emails would have been received. They will be sent out to each email address individually if they are in danger of having their account closed.

- Adam

Johnboy 1951; no, I meant this (probably further down in that thread);

Your eir email account means your webmail account that is active with us. I do mean logging into your eir webmail account, this doesn't mean that you have to have any services with us that require payment. There is no specific date that these emails would have been received. They will be sent out to each email address individually if they are in danger of having their account closed.

- Adam

Thanks I have asked for further clarification.

It would seem rather odd that they require a browser log in and not recognise a POP log in.

I've no idea why that is, Johnboy.
    I think I'm off the hook, as I happened to log in directly to eir webmail a few months ago. But that was only because I was trying to diagnose a seperate email problem, as I find it very clunky compared with the 3rd webmail viewer I use. I don't know if using the latter counts as logging in to eir webmail, either.

I might have failed on a POP login requirement (computers out of action, not enough free space in my phone to add an email client).

Advertisement