Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative NYC things to do...

Options
  • 01-10-2017 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

...and see?

Planning a trip to NY shortly. I've been before and visited the usual tourist spots that one can think of. I'm looking for recommendations of things to look see and do while there. Hidden gems etc

Perhaps you know a bar, cafe or restaurant that isn't too well known by tourists. I like to hit a bar on my own for a few. What's the tipping culture like these days, dollar a drink?

Also I'm into walking, is it possible to safely walk the full perimeter of Manhattan? Can you recommend other walks?

Also, any decent secondhand book stores?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

The High line is a nice way to spend a few hours and see the city from an elevated perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

Walking the full perimeter of Manhattan would take an awful long time!

Can you cycle a bike? If so, there’s a cycle path that goes the majority of the way around Manhattan. If heading up the East River, I wouldn’t go further than 96th street. I would personally recommend cycling up the West side from battery park all the way to George Washington Bridge. It’s about 14 miles each way, but it’s a very easy cycle as it’s all flat as it’s right beside the Hudson.
    There are about 4 or 5 bars on the river, which are all located a good distance a part so that you can stop at them for some refreshments! Just note, that most of these are seasonal and would not be open during winter and early spring. If possible, I would recommend that you cycle in the afternoon, and plan to hit the last bar as the sun goes down. The views across the river to New Jersey are incredible at that time in the evening.

Some of the bars are the City Vineyard at Hubert Street, Frying Pan at 26th, Pier I at 70th, my personal favourite the Boat Basin Café at 79th and Ellington in the Park at 106th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If you fancy a walk around an island, take the cable car to Roosevelt Island and walk around that. Some great views of Manhattan from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thanks guys.

Not a cyclist but could give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

py2006 wrote: »
    ...and see?

Planning a trip to NY shortly. I've been before and visited the usual tourist spots that one can think of. I'm looking for recommendations of things to look see and do while there. Hidden gems etc

Perhaps you know a bar, cafe or restaurant that isn't too well known by tourists. I like to hit a bar on my own for a few. What's the tipping culture like these days, dollar a drink?

Also I'm into walking, is it possible to safely walk the full perimeter of Manhattan? Can you recommend other walks?

Also, any decent secondhand book stores?

Thanks

The Ear Inn on Spring St, it's still going - had many a great night when I was living over there ...not too far from the river .. it wasn't touristy back then, I don't know about now though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Thanks guys.

Not a cyclist but could give it a try

Rent a bike in Park Slope in Brooklyn and cycle around Prospect Park. Even if you're not a cyclist, it's a lovely easy cycle, big wide bike lanes (fast bike lane and slow bike lane!) Brooklyn Public Library is next to the park, amazing place, and there's a lovely farmers market next to the park on Saturday mornings. I love Park Slope!

cactusgal wrote: »
    Rent a bike in Park Slope in Brooklyn and cycle around Prospect Park. Even if you're not a cyclist, it's a lovely easy cycle, big wide bike lanes (fast bike lane and slow bike lane!) Brooklyn Public Library is next to the park, amazing place, and there's a lovely farmers market next to the park on Saturday mornings. I love Park Slope!

Sounds good! I was thinking of perhaps staying somewhere (cheaper) outside of Manhattan and subwaying in if necessary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sounds good! I was thinking of perhaps staying somewhere (cheaper) outside of Manhattan and subwaying in if necessary!

You should look at Long Island City. Only one or two stops from Manhattan but a lot cheaper to stay in. It’s an up and coming area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Just back from New York and stayed in Long Island City. Stayed at the Paper Factory hotel. Really nice place. Had a Subway stop right across the street and you would be in Midtown in 15 minutes. Only issue we had was the construction on the Subway at night and the E train was badly affected. We always seemed to finish up in an area where the R and M train wasn't stopping. You definitely get more bang for your money out of Manhattan. Nothing really interesting in the area but felt safe.

Definitely recommend the high line walk. Plenty of bars and restaurants along the way if you want to stretch the walk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 simonphoto

Was there a few weeks ago. Tipping is still a thing. About 8 dollars a beer. We would add aout 15% so just over a dollar a beer. Check out Brooklyn if you have time. There were great second hand record stores there. Reasonable prices. Manhattan was much more expensive so i'd assume it's the same for books.

Walking almost everywhere in Manhattan feels safe. Loads of police around. Didn't see any hassle anywhere. I'd be more worried walking through Dublin at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

simonphoto wrote: »
    Was there a few weeks ago. Tipping is still a thing. About 8 dollars a beer. We would add aout 15% so just over a dollar a beer. Check out Brooklyn if you have time. There were great second hand record stores there. Reasonable prices. Manhattan was much more expensive so i'd assume it's the same for books.

Walking almost everywhere in Manhattan feels safe. Loads of police around. Didn't see any hassle anywhere. I'd be more worried walking through Dublin at times.
    $8 a beer??! Where were you drinking?
    Ear Inn and High Line are good calls but are increasingly becoming like Times Square in terms of masses of humanity.
    Get subway over to Brooklyn and walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

SHOVELLER wrote: »

This is one of my favourite NYC things to do. Grab some pizza on the Brooklyn side before walking over the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Ear Inn and High Line are good calls but are increasingly becoming like Times Square in terms of masses of humanity.

Just back myself and everywhere I went was at least $8 a beer, unless you drink swill. Only exception is Jimmy's Corner just off Time Square. Hands down the best bar in New York. $10 Max for two drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Just back myself and everywhere I went was at least $8 a beer, unless you drink swill. Only exception is Jimmy's Corner just off Time Square. Hands down the best bar in New York. $10 Max for two drinks.

I was there years ago, loved jimmy's corner.
    one of the cops told us about it when we were there.
    it's tiny and the bar counter is laminated with pics of boxers.
    the owner was friends with Mohammed Ali I believe.
    they do jazz nights too.

Coyote ugly is a great bar.
    The film was written about the bar.
    Went there with my parents, mad night.

Also McSorleys Ale House is good.
    A bit Jonny Foxes but interesting.

Take a stroll around the Greenwich Village area, it's those big old houses that were in the Cosby Show years ago.
    Great bars and cafes in Greenwich Village, lovely for lunch.

Little Italy, restaurant there where Goodfella's was filmed and apparently the mafia still go.

Chinatown!! Most of it went with the towers but I believe it's built back up. I found it very like a scene from the Gremlins. Nearly every stall sold terrapins.(sp)

Hamleys toy store is good also.

Pier 66 is popular but found it a bit samey.

In ten years of visiting I never got to visit Ellis island, if you can do that tour I believe it's very good.

The view from Empire State Building at night is lovely, during the day you can see the "flat iron" building from it.

Not sure if the naked guitar guy is still going but you def need a pic with him!

Sorry just realised most of my tips are about bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

aaronm13 wrote: »

You dont have to look hard to get decent priced drinks. Happy hours and look out for specials. There's a bar on the Upper East Side that is half price all day sunday as an example.
    I've been going to Jimmy's for years and beer is $3. He actually trained Ali and was in his corner for his fight in 1972 in Croke Park.

Some good ideas here tanks. Any hotel recommendations? Once it as wifi I am happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Some good ideas here tanks. Any hotel recommendations? Once it as wifi I am happy

I was in NYC a few weeks ago and stayed in The Evelyn Hotel which is on East 27th street, just off 5th Avenue.

It's a decent, good value, well located hotel with some nice touches like free hot beverages and pastries, a free fitness suite in the basement and very fast free wifi.

One thing I liked especially was USB ports in all the plug sockets which meant I didn't need any adaptors for my devices.

Just around the corner is a nice little bar called John Does which had happy hour all day and live music at night. 4 dollar beers and half price cocktails.

The Moscow Mule was especially tasty... and potent :)

I was in NYC a few weeks ago and stayed in The Evelyn Hotel which is on East 27th street, just off 5th Avenue.

It's a decent, good value, well located hotel with some nice touches like free hot beverages and pastries, a free fitness suite in the basement and very fast free wifi.

One thing I liked especially was USB ports in all the plug sockets which meant I didn't need any adaptors for my devices.

Just around the corner is a nice little bar called John Does which had happy hour all day and live music at night. 4 dollar beers and half price cocktails.

The Moscow Mule was especially tasty... and potent :)

haha sounds good! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

aside from the cost is it better for safety and acessibility to stay out of manhattan?

leestone wrote: »
    aside from the cost is it better for safety and acessibility to stay out of manhattan?

Is English a second language for you?

This sentence/question actually hurts my brain...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Is English a second language for you?

This sentence/question actually hurts my brain...

Maybe you can contribute something useful as in related to the theme of the thread.
    If not keep you little passive aggressive ways to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fifilal

There are brilliant comedy clubs in basements of bars in Greenwich Village. Lots are free in and you tip the acts as you wish. Great fun, think Seinfeld and guys like him started out there.
    Highline is definitely a great option.
    Check Madison Square garden before you go. We got to see a college Basketball game that was very cheap for tickets but a brilliant atmosphere - complete with kiss-cam, cheerleaders, hot-dogs etc
    I presume it's still there but there is a brilliant food court in the basement of the Plaza hotel, where you can get everything from sushi to pizza. Sit at the counters and people watch.

leestone wrote: »
    Maybe you can contribute something useful as in related to the theme of the thread.
    If not keep you little passive aggressive ways to yourself.

If you read the thread you'll see I have made clear, coherent contributions to it.

Your contribution, on the contrary, has been a nonsensical string of words.

So I'm gonna compile a list of to-dos based on this thread. Thanks for all the info so far.

Out of curiosity, how much is taxi from JFK to central manhattan? I presume you must tip too?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

Yeah $52 plus tip, tell them to go the 59th Street Bridge as there's no toll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I was there this time last year and cannot recommend the Harlem Gospel tour highly enough.

It was a genuinely spiritual day and the food and band in the cotton club afterwards was out of this world.

NYC2013 wrote: »
    Yeah $52 plus tip, tell them to go the 59th Street Bridge as there's no toll

Would $70 cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

You can climb up the inside of the Statue of Liberty again (it was closed for years after 9/11). It’s a tight climb but is cool when you get to the top. We booked a good bit in advance. They only release a few hundred tickets a day.

Has anybody walked the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway along the perimeter of Manhattan!? I'm thinking I will do some of it.

87b270012de711fa7ab8b6ddfe271160--the-manhattans-touring.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement