Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when someone you know crashes in to you?

Options
  • 01-10-2017 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Some one I know hit my car the other night while drunk. They rang me admitting they did it and they would pay for it. Say when it comes to paying for it and if they not paying up what have i to fall back on. Don't want to get the gaurds involved really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can claim from his insurance. Get his current insurance details and have that at least in reserve so that if you can't agree on the cost of the repair (or where the repair is carried out), you can lodge a claim with his insurance.

Do not get the car repaired and pay for it and then expect your man to pay you because that usually ends in tears. If he doesn't pay then neither will his insurance because they didn't approve the repair, let alone the price.

If you have fully comp. then in theory you're also supposed to report it to your own insurance company but I'd be reluctant for the moment to do that in case they flag you up as a 'pending claim' and screw you on your next renewal if it's not yet sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It depends on many things. Do you trust this person? Was damaged big or small? etc etc
    I suppose you don't want the Gardai involved because he was drunk?

If we look past the drink driving for now, then as above. Get him to come over and give you details of insurance (just in case).

Get your car repaired and have him pay the garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Guards won't want to know. At this stage the drink driving cannot be proven. Coylemj's advice is the bet course of action

Advertisement