Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned cars?

Options
  • 01-10-2017 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I live in an estate that seems to have 2 or more cars per house and parking has become a major issue. We've a huge amount of abandoned/unused cars literally rotting into the tarmac. The majority of them have out of date tax/insurance and are clearly never going to be driven again. Has anyone any advice on how to deal with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Got a warning last time I answered this question with a solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

endacl wrote: »
    Got a warning last time I answered this question with a solution...

Can you pm me you answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

First attempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Charlie19 wrote: »
    First attempt?

First attempt at what?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If its a public road, report the abandoned cars to the Council. If its a privately managed estate, report them to the management company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ClubDead wrote: »
    Can you pm me you answer?

Couldn’t possibly. If you check your inbox, you’ll see that I haven’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭djmj

contact with the estate management

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Report it to the council. If it's untaxed, state that it is and it will be removed fairly promptly.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I know this happened with neighbors of mine. Difference being though is that they had removed the number plates as well (for whatever reason!). Council didn't like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I saw on some other thread that if cars have no plate they are more likely to be removed by the authorities.
    I'm not sure why, maybe someone can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Just fyi, the guards can't have the car removed if the tax is still in date. I was told that by a garda over the phone when I reported an abandoned car near my place.

Not sure if the same applies if the plates are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

My area has a management company so I've reported a few that were abandoned in our communal parking area once their tax and insurance had well expired.    The management company told me that they contact the council (Fingal) who communicate with the registered owners of the vehicles and give them a set period of time to remove the car.  If no response within the timeframe, the cars are then towed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Just fyi, the guards can't have the car removed if the tax is still in date. I was told that by a garda over the phone when I reported an abandoned car near my place.

Not sure if the same applies if the plates are gone.
    A vehicle must have valid motor tax to be on a public road. Valid insurance is required to drive on a public road, but not required for parking.

So, when the tax expires the Gardai can take action (though getting them to do so is hit and miss).

It is strange that FCC will quickly remove a car when there are no number plates. It should be easy to find the registered owner via the VIN - it's visible through the bottom of the windscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I have recent experience with this. A car with no tax/insurance and smashed in windows, dash board ripped out etc. was parked outside my place for about a week.

Gardai wouldn’t do anything and FCC said they couldn’t move it either but they did say to give them the reg and they would follow up with the registered owner. I don’t know if they threatened the owner with a fine for abandoning it or what happened but within a day or two it was gone. And I’m not sure who actually moved it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

ClubDead wrote: »
    I live in an estate that seems to have 2 or more cars per house and parking has become a major issue. We've a huge amount of abandoned/unused cars literally rotting into the tarmac. The majority of them have out of date tax/insurance and are clearly never going to be driven again. Has anyone any advice on how to deal with this?

Any chance you could PM the estate, I think it may be the same one I live in..

Advertisement