Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firing non Subsonic.22lr through my moderator

Options
  • 01-10-2017 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Just wondering will firing non subsonic rounds like CCI velocitor and mini mags damage my moderator? Also if anyone has experimented with this how far off would the difference in zero be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Nope, won't do any damage to the mod - difference in PoI will vary from rifle to rifle. It all comes down to the resonant period of the rig with and without the mod vs the residency period of the bullet in the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Won't do it any harm, and the change to the zero will be round specific.

Bit odd though as a working rig, as the mod won't do anything to muffle the crack of the round going supersonic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I get consistent zero with either Ely Subs or Winchester Subs (black box 40gr, for the life of me forgot the name) at approximately 55 yards. If I switch to Federal bulk high velocity (woefully inconsistent and cheep) the only consistent thing is they are high by 7 inches at the same zero (55 yards) and are on, if you can call that grouping 'on' at 100 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

ezra_ wrote: »
    Won't do it any harm, and the change to the zero will be round specific.

Bit odd though as a working rig, as the mod won't do anything to muffle the crack of the round going supersonic
    My only reason for thinking about it is that I found two old boxes of cci velocitor and 100 mini mags. I have it zeroed with cci subsonic but I thought I might carry my spare magazine with the velocitor rounds just in case I spotted a fox when out. Don't think I'll bother now as I hate messing around with my gun when it's zeroed. Good to know it won't do any harm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

I get consistent zero with either Ely Subs or Winchester Subs (black box 40gr, for the life of me forgot the name) at approximately 55 yards. If I switch to Federal bulk high velocity (woefully inconsistent and cheep) the only consistent thing is they are high by 7 inches at the same zero (55 yards) and are on, if you can call that grouping 'on' at 100 yards.
    Wow 7 inches is a lot for 55 yards, I'd have guessed an inch or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Kran wrote: »
    I have it zeroed with cci subsonic but I thought I might carry my spare magazine with the velocitor rounds just in case I spotted a fox when out..

Why not just fire a group of 5 Velocitor at a target.

If they are consistently about 3-4" high & on target then you'll know to aim 3-4" low ...if using them.

Practice then using them at a target, aiming low at the required amount, and you should be bang on after a few shots.

Advertisement