Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere to sit for a good while in Dublin city?

Options
  • 01-10-2017 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,

Lately I've been looking at making a few changes in my life due to depression and one of the biggest factors I find is sitting in my (very grim) flat for hours on end.

I have work online to be getting on with during the days and evenings, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a spot in Dublin where I could sit uninterrupted for a good few hours?

Even a cafe/restaurant/hotel that wouldn't be too funny if I only ordered a few teas/coffees over the stretch would be great, I just feel I need to get out of my place.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I know the feeling op, I love the phoenix park personally, so peaceful and big open spaces helps me,

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eds

I haven't been but this place looks interesting;

http://www.clockworkdoor.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭patspost

Maybe a branch of Dublin City Library would be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lots of coffee shops are used to having people buy a coffee or two and stay for an hour or two using the wifi. National Museum and National Gallery would be options too.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

A couple of places spring to mind. 1. The new library out in Dun laoghaire - spacious, quietish during the week, WiFi and amazing views. Coffee & dart close by. 2. The library bar on exchequer street. 3. Accents coffee shop on Stephen street - downstairs. Big comfy couches, WiFi, coffee and quietish at non-lunchtimes.

Loads more, but these are my 3 favourites. So much choice in Dublin. And you'll never seem weird ordering tea / coffee........sit all day if you like! Good idea getting out - enjoy it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

I have spent several hours in the courts but suggest bringing a small cushion to sit on as the bench seats are hard Some interesting cases going on and several courts to choose from especially in the new court beside main entrance to Phoenix Park

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Would maybe renting a hot desk in a hub be an option? If you google it there are a good few around and it definitely gets you out and you never know, you might end up with some valuable connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

I used to like the Iveagh Gardens, but I no longer live close to them. Lovely but overrun with loud families at the weekends and constantly being requisitioned for concerts. New Square and the Rose Garden in Trinity are also quite relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Isn't that what churches are for?

Chester Beatty garden at Dublin castle is brilliant. Loads of seats too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

The national gallery has wifi throughout. There is a cafe in the front. There is also a beautiful covered courtyard with benches to sit. I love it there - very serene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Eds wrote: »
    I haven't been but this place looks interesting;

http://www.clockworkdoor.ie/

This definitely, you pay for the time you are there and then all coffee, tea, biscuits, popcorn etc. is free while you are there, there are different rooms to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

AnneFrank wrote:
    I love the phoenix park personally
    I have spent several hours in the courts but suggest bringing a small cushion to sit on as the bench seats are hard
    Creol1 wrote:
    I used to like the Iveagh Gardens, but I no longer live close to them.
    First Up wrote:
    Isn't that what churches are for?

Perhaps I read the OP wrong but I took it that he's looking for an indoor space with wifi so he can do his work?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

CHQ Building in the IFSC?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Galleries a great option - free and you're surrounded by works of art. Lobbies of certain hotels also good - would recommend Westbury in particular as comfortable and large. For hotels, would ensure moving regularly so you're not identified as a fixture to be moved on. Dun Laoghaire library and CHQ both really good recommendations if they're convenient for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

And sorry it has to be mentioned, but the obvious one that's been left out is Starbucks. Hate the coffee etc., but they do have some nice locations and don't mind people lingering.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

St Teresa's church on Clarendon Street has a lovely quiet cafe. Just off Grafton Street. You don't need to go into the church at all and no-one will bother you. Big bright space, reasonably well priced snacks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Marks & Spencer's cafe in the Jervis. Lots of comfy seating, good selection of snacks. Fairly quiet space and no hassle from staff.

Advertisement