Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derailleur - Chain Tensioner Query

Options
  • 01-10-2017 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Just built my first bike - one or two small things to finish. Did it all on the cheap too so delighted with myself.

Recycled an old derailleur (vertical dropouts) but the KMC chain link is catching - bought a wider B1 KMC chain. Put in a spacer and prised apart with a pliers but still catching.

Any advice or just get a tensioner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

karlitob wrote: »
    Just built my first bike - one or two small things to finish. Did it all on the cheap too so delighted with myself.

Recycled an old derailleur (vertical dropouts) but the KMC chain link is catching - bought a wider B1 KMC chain. Put in a spacer and prised apart with a pliers but still catching.

Any advice or just get a tensioner?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Any photos of the chain and where it's catching?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

In fairness I am not sure what is your setup exactly.

Perhaps you could post some photos highlighting the issue?

On the other hand, if you're trying to use a singlespeed (1/8") chain with a derailleur - it will catch, as they are designed for narrower chains. Use 3/32" chain to avoid it, if your sprockets can take it...

Or get a proper tensioner without a cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Alek wrote: »
    In fairness I am not sure what is your setup exactly.

Perhaps you could post some photos highlighting the issue?

On the other hand, if you're trying to use a singlespeed (1/8") chain with a derailleur - it will catch, as they are designed for narrower chains. Use 3/32" chain to avoid it, if your sprockets can take it...

Or get a proper tensioner without a cage.

Understood. Tensioner without cage probably beat option. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If it's only the closing link that is catching the derailleur, just get rid of it - if you don't have a chain-pin tool, get your LBS to do it for a few €.

If you go for a tensioner, they're mostly designed to work with ⅛" chain, so it shouldn't matter whether is has a cage or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement