Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Quantum 70...Control Panel Battery Pack

Options
  • 01-10-2017 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi All
    My HKC Quantum 70 has alerted me to replace the Control Battery Pack. Having read other posts it appears that this reminder is a time prompted reminder and advisory. I gather that the packs do not last forever and my pack is the 9.6 volt pack. I gathered too that the pack may not be exhausted but the time prompt kicks in anyway. I took a reading of my pack's charge and it's delivering 11.2 volts. I put it back into the panel and went through the routine in engineer mode to stand down the alert and indeed it has stood down...no more prompts.
    Two questions arise:
    1) Will it actuate the alert when the battery pack does under perform regards voltage charge...and not just on the time limited prompt?
    2) Is it a false economy and am I just kidding myself....get a new pack ASAP and replace?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Stinky45

Sorry All

I've just seen other threads from last year dealing with this topic....which answer my Q's.
    The panel does warn if the battery is under performing and also the time limit of 3 years kicks in.
    Am I kidding myself appears to be subjective as some say the batteries may give longer service and others say the warnings ideally should be heeded even if it's only the time limit expiring.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ideally check the battery with a meter, this timed alert makes it all a bit confusing.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Ideally check the battery with a meter, this timed alert makes it all a bit confusing.

Hi Koolkid...thank you for your tip.

I did test the pack with a meter and it delivered 11.2 volts which is probably still good for a 9.6 volt battery pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seanuk123

I think I'm having the same problem and have just posted a similar question - I get the impression this alert comes up every 3 years regardless of whether the battery needs changing. I hope this doesnt mean I've got to pay an engineer every 3 years to sort it as I'm struggling thus far!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I think that's the idea of it allright.. After all the panel is able to measure the current consumption and the battery voltage so there is no reason it cant accurately notify you of a low battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

seanuk123 wrote: »
    I think I'm having the same problem and have just posted a similar question - I get the impression this alert comes up every 3 years regardless of whether the battery needs changing. I hope this doesnt mean I've got to pay an engineer every 3 years to sort it as I'm struggling thus far!

Yes the alert will come up as that is the way the timer has been set up in previous versions of the software. The reason is the type of battery used in the system. In later versions of the software removing the battery and reconnecting it will clear the timer rather than needing engineer access to do same. If you do have an engineer out to replace the battery Id advise have the software upgraded.

Stinky45 wrote: »
    Hi Koolkid...thank you for your tip.

I did test the pack with a meter and it delivered 11.2 volts which is probably still good for a 9.6 volt battery pack?

Just checking the voltage on the battery will not determine if the battery is good.

altor wrote: »
    Just checking the voltage on the battery will not determine if the battery is good.

But it will confirm if it is no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

altor wrote:
    Yes the alert will come up as that is the way the timer has been set up in previous versions of the software. The reason is the type of battery used in the system. In later versions of the software removing the battery and reconnecting it will clear the timer rather than needing engineer access to do same. If you do have an engineer out to replace the battery Id advise have the software upgraded.

Any idea when the software would have changed ?? My alarm is about three years fitted. Would it have the updated software or would it be too old ?? Thanks.

Any idea when the software would have changed ?? My alarm is about three years fitted. Would it have the updated software or would it be too old ?? Thanks.

It's in the latest software release.
    If your software is 3 Years old I'd recommend getting it upgraded to allow this.

• Advertisement

It will confirm the battery voltage.
    Having the correct voltage means nothing to a battery.
    A load test would.

A load test would.

_zzzzzzzzz zzz

A constant low voltage will confirm the battery is not holding the charge and would need replacing.

_zzzzzzzzz zzz

A constant low voltage will confirm the battery is not holding the charge and would need replacing.

You are confusing a low battery a system reports with what the question was. :D

Not confusing anything. Give it a rest will you. You are only back and nitpicking straight away.
    I said a meter showing low voltage will confirm the battery is no good. If a battery is not charging to capacity it needs to be replaced.

Just back :confused:

My point is just because a battery shows good on a meter does not mean it is good.
    Only doing a load test on the battery will confirm if it's good or not.

Can't see your issue with that as its true...

Thats why I said

This is what you said first :rolleyes:

Yep:D
    And a low voltage would tell you there's a problem.If the voltage is OK you move onto other checks. Its a process of elimination like everything in this business.
    Can you stop trying to pick a row. No One is interested.
    54c53f2774663e75659e43840d1e70f2--les-posters-happy-faces.jpg

It sure is and I'm sure the op and others reading the thread will have loads to work with now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

KoolKid wrote:
    _zzzzzzzzz zzz

No need for this silly stuff lads.

Also it's ok for people to pop in and out of boards, the forum is not owned by anyone.

So please both altor and koolkid don't post on this thread again.

And don't continue this elsewhere on this forum please.

• Advertisement

A load test would.

Having engineer access I can initiate the "Load Test" what readings would be good to see and what readings would be poor....if the battery voltage isn't truly representative as to the ability of the pack to support the system?

Stoner wrote: »
    No need for this silly stuff lads.

Also it's ok for people to pop in and out of boards, the forum is not owned by anyone.

So please both altor and koolkid don't post on this thread again.

And don't continue this elsewhere on this forum please.

I see your point BUT these two contributors have helped so many people down the years on here...may I suggest they are just having a bad day as can happen anyone....lets just move on it doesn't upset me but an intervention which denies us access to these two willing sharers of their expertise would be a disaster for many. The Board is excellent ...I've no problem with the moderator getting in reminding the contributors and I hope no offence is taken by my submission as it is not my intention. Lets all move on and see the value in each other both givers and takers. Mutual respect for points of view benefits us all...Thank you Moderator...thank you Koolkid and thank you Altor. I'm not having a laugh I genuinely mean what I've typed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Stinky45 wrote:
    .may I suggest they are just having a bad day as can happen anyone....lets just move on it doesn't upset me

You may suggest away. But in all fairness this goes back a lot longer than a day, we've been dealing with this for years . So before I break the house rule of discussing moderation on the forum.

The request for the lads not to post on this thread stands. It's been working well now for the past few months, so lets keep it going.

Thank you.

Advertisement