Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Software Jobs California

• 02-10-2017 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    A relation of mine who is a Software Developer in Ireland is looking to move to California (he has US citizenship).
    Anyone got any suggestions on best places to apply for jobs in that sector over there & indeed the best area within the state to look for jobs?

I'm guessing California in general
    Is a very expensive place to live as regards accommodation and day to day expenses etc.

A big change from working in Galway city and living in rural Galway no doubt.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The man is going to be in for a shock, coming from Galway, if he's looking at Silicon Valley. Fortunately, if he's a reasonable software guy, he should be able to get a satisfactorily paying job. Of course, unless he's creme de la creme, I figure he'll be pulling in maybe 120-150k a year, which will probably get him a hovel somewhere about a 45 minute commute from work. The poverty line for a family of four here is about $105k. On the plus side, software gigs tend to be rather loose on things like 'getting in on time'. Personally, I get in early and leave early (8-4), but others in my office get in at 10 and leave at 6 or whatever works for them to try to avoid the traffic. (I'm usually an hour and ten each way from Dublin to Oakland). Better yet if he can telecommute. The saving grace of all the expense and the high salaries which get you little is the fact that , say, a vacation to Tahiti is 10% of your salary in the Bay Area, whilst it's 25% of your salary in a more reasonable area (Ditto cost of laptop, car, etc). That's assuming you can find affordable housing. We also have amongst the highest taxes in the US. (Neighbouring Nevada has 0 income tax...)

Radio said last week about 60% of the population of the Bay Area are considering moving somewhere less expensive with less traffic. Personally, I'm considering Kansas City. If he's coming totally fresh with no extant Bay Area roots, he may want to look at Seattle, Portland, or Austin as software-friendly towns with a lot less hassle.

I can't help him with Los Angeles. No idea why anyone would want to live there. Sacramento may be an option, but the job market is more limited.

Not wishing to put him off, and the Bay Area really is absolutely fantastic for those who can afford to live here reasonably, but his eyes have to be open.

Advertisement