Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vegas shooting incident

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

such another sick and bizarre tragedy. Why would he record it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Tabloids report that a hand-written note was left in the room, strange this hasn't been disclosed, if true.

Tabloids report that a hand-written note was left in the room, strange this hasn't been disclosed, if true.

I could be wrong but I think that may have circulated based on an image of the hotel room in which there appears to be a sheet of paper on the table, could possibly be anything? Would be very worrying to think it wouldn't be disclosed if it is indeed a note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Dont know why a very wealthy man travelling to the Phillipines were his partner is from would be in anyway suspicious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

222233 wrote: »
    such another sick and bizarre tragedy. Why would he record it???

With this news....all I'm suprised is that,it wasn't streamed on facebook

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Dont know why a very wealthy man travelling to the Phillipines were his partner is from would be in anyway suspicious?

Given what he just did, if he walked down his own driveway it should be grounds for suspicion, every aspect of his life should be picked apart to figure out why he carried out such a brutal act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

With this news....all I'm suprised is that,it wasn't streamed on facebook

Maybe not facebook but maybe he sent it to someone or some organisation. Time will tell.

222233 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think that may have circulated based on an image of the hotel room in which there appears to be a sheet of paper on the table, could possibly be anything? Would be very worrying to think it wouldn't be disclosed if it is indeed a note.

Indeed slightly curious, the juxtaposition of the paper suggests it had significance, or implied direct importance to the event that just occurred.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-03_at_21.37.02.png

Indeed slightly curious, the juxtaposition of the paper suggests it had significance, or implied direct importance to the event that just occurred.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-03_at_21.37.02.png

Where's that photo from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Something about the brother doesn't sit right with me either. Maybe he is just completely desensitised to it like all other Americans, but something not sitting too well with me there. Bit of a strange chap.

A significant volume of America has lost its ability to see the world through other citizens eyes. They have lost their humanity. These people are ruthless. They would kill their own mothers for a dollar. This culture and survival of the fittest causes so much social dysfunction, it is churning out a new breed of really deranged and mentally ill people. Why oh why you would rain bullets into a crowd indiscriminately like that, what society churns out people like that and provides the platform for them to do that. Do you really need 30 automatic weapons America? Ffs.

• Advertisement

Where's that photo from?

One of the various UK tabloids, they have a few different ones of the room, there is a photo credit in the corner, so likely has some copyright protection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

MadYaker wrote: »
    Wasn't his wif/partner from the philipines?

What has that got to do with anything?

Doltanian wrote: »
    What has that got to do with anything?

He wired 100k there before the attack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Where's that photo from?

There have been a good few photos of the hotel room been released, some even showing his head too believe or not.

Unfortunately I viewed it without wishing to after someone posted it up on twitter.

Here's one photo that merges all the images but only shows Paddock from the shoulder down, so nothing too gruesome:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

He wired 100k there before the attack?

Its an incredibly poor country, presumably he knew his assets would probably be appropriated by the Govt after he carried out the attack so he decided to help his GF's family over there by sending them some of his money before the attack would be my take on it.

I think the guy did it as a f*ck-you to society with issues over the incarceration of his father and decided to go out all guns blazing literally. It would be interesting check his medical records to see if he would have recently been diagnosed with any terminal illness given his age profile. He had plenty money so should have no reason to commit this atrocity. If any form of Gun control arises because of this incident then I am calling a false-flag on the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I think the guy did it as a f*ck-you to society with issues over the incarceration of his father and decided to go out all guns blazing literally.

I was under the impression that he had no relationship with his father and his father was a well known criminal and incarcerated for valid reasons? Has this changed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

myshirt wrote:
    Something about the brother doesn't sit right with me either. Maybe he is just completely desensitised to it like all other Americans, but something not sitting too well with me there. Bit of a strange chap.

I got the same impression. Why on earth would you go on the news if that was your brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

pilly wrote: »
    I got the same impression. Why on earth would you go on the news if that was your brother?

Probably just in shock and caught completely off guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Shock.

He probably didn't have media training either.

It's a bit mean to suggest he is somehow complicit.

• Advertisement

I felt sorry for the brother actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Put yourself in his shoes. Your brother, who you thought was just a regular guy, has just killed over 50 people and injured hundreds. You have the national media outside your front door looking for information. Hard to think rationally. Probably thought it best to just go out and speak to them. He had nothing to hide and remember that he had no media training also.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Probably made a decision to get it over with asap. That way the media camp outside his house disperses and moves along to the next aspect of the story and then a new story eventually.

FWIW, when I saw the interview i felt that his brother conveyed genuine and utter disbelief as to what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I felt sorry for the brother actually.

He will probably get a hard time now which will be unfair as he is in no way responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The brother had to go on and distance himself or he or his family might end up with a bullet in them.

Enough crazy to go around.

Any reason why Paddock is wearing gloves? Just stands out in the pics of him. Seems odd.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's a bit mean to suggest he is somehow complicit.

No I'm not suggesting he's complicit. Probably was just shock I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

There have been a good few photos of the hotel room been released, some even showing his head too believe or not.

Unfortunately I viewed it without wishing to after someone posted it up on twitter.

Here's one photo that merges all the images but only shows Paddock from the shoulder down, so nothing too gruesome:

I unfortunately saw this too on a twitter feed. It's not confirmed as a true pic, it's extremely graphic though and I have twitter set to capture sensitive tweets so that I'd have to physically click in to see but somehow this image bypasses that.

Just a word of warning that if anyone is on twitter and reads text that suggests the pic is below it might not be hidden. Just in case it helps anyone avoid it as I didn't have option and it's a horrendous tweet.

Jimmy Kimmel:
    “President Trump is visiting Las Vegas on Wednesday. He spoke this morning, he said he was praying for those who lost their lives...........

............they should be praying. They should be praying for God to forgive them for letting the gun lobby run this country. Because it is, it is so crazy.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nothing will change re gun laws. The problem is too far gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Any reason why Paddock is wearing gloves? Just stands out in the pics of him. Seems odd.

Shooting gloves...they are just so you can keep a good grip on the weapon when your hands get sweaty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

archer22 wrote: »
    Shooting gloves...they are just so you can keep a good grip on the weapon when your hands get sweaty.

Anyone thing there is anything in this second shooter idea?

I have seen two differnet videos from two different angles that seem to show flashes from a much lower floor in sync with shots....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

God quotes. Man, if God was real he wouldn't allow this type of sh*t to go down. All this #PrayFor_____ stuff would make me more cyncical if I was a believer.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

Anyone thing there is anything in this second shooter idea?

I have seen two differnet videos from two different angles that seem to show flashes from a much lower floor in sync with shots....

It does really look like that but there is a reporter on Fox or one of the networks well after shooting has ceased and that flashing light is still going on/off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

After a clip on full auto the gun becomes quite hot, he emptied clip after clip, after a sustained fire the barrel can end up even glowing red hot.

I'm guessing it was for that reason he wore gloves, he knew he'd be working his guns as hard as they can go and sweaty palms as pointed above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm beyond caring now, really don't care ...

brass eye brilliant lampooned america's gun laws...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

If any form of Gun control arises because of this incident then I am calling a false-flag on the whole thing.

Good to know. :rolleyes:

Police just said he had 23 guns and several thousand rounds of ammo in the room with him. Wtf did he need so many guns for? There's no way he got a chance to use all of them.

https://i.redd.it/pdxxyzvh2opz.jpg pic sfw. You can se the guys legs but that's it. The pile by the pillar are 100 round magazines, jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Lougarden wrote: »
    It does really look like that but there is a reporter on Fox or one of the networks well after shooting has ceased and that flashing light is still going on/off

Yeah I saw this but the video also stops, flashes and noise will always be a little out of sync.... if not the shooter, what is going on in that room?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but there's a new Showtime documentary series (Active Shooter: America Under Fire, released the 29th of Sept.) that gives an account of recent mass shootings from the point of view of the emergency services, survivors, and the victims families.
    The first episode deals with the Aurora,Colorado shooting and gives real insight into what it's like to be caught up in this type of situation.
    Makes for sad viewing.

If you wanna see true mental ravings check out this thread in the Conspiracy Forum. It was a False Flag, wake up Sheeple.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057793648/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

So basically it seems the machine gun ban is totally useless since people can buy or make attachments to turn their semi auto rifles into what is effectively a machinegun in all but name. So we are back to the debate over whether or not semi auto rifles should be legal. Realistically though a ban on the likes on the AR-15 will never happen. So people are free commit more of these atrocities if they choose.

Sadly , the typical discussion on gun control misses the point, why does the US society repeatedly throw up people like this of all ages that partake in mass shootings. Other societies have no similar situations particularly in number of incidents.

My own view , having lived in the US , is that the US is a society where a gun is seen as a " solution " and elsewhere it is not. US society is exposed to gun use in a way no other country on earth is. I've seen moms shop with sidearms strapped to their hip etc. Elsewhere this behaviour is only seen in war zones.

It's this culture that convinces people that guns are a solution, often reached for before any other solution.

Hence banning this type of weapon or other is irrelevant , banning all firearms would likely be the only solution and that's never going to happen.

The conclusion therefore , one reaches , is US civil society accepts that such atrocities are an acceptable price to pay and that guns and gun use are a reasonable solution in many cases.

In that context any form of limited gun control is meaningless and at best tokenism

The entirety of US civil society doesn't accept that these shootings are an acceptable price to pay for their 2nd ammendment rights, only the gun enthusiasts do. Plenty of Americans would love to see rifles like the ones used in this outlawed.

Obviously banning guns outright is never going to happen. I wonder would any future governemnt consider passing legislation that outlaws the sale or circulation of any new weapons? Like they did for machineguns in 1986. So people who currently own guns can keep theirs, but they can't buy any new ones and neither can anyone else. That would stop any more guns from entering circulation at the very least.

This was posted by one of the singers that performed on the night and shows the concert an hour before the shooting.

What a sad contrast..................

https://twitter.com/KayaJones/status/915047904347267072

The entirety of US civil society doesn't accept that these shootings are an acceptable price to pay for their 2nd ammendment rights, only the gun enthusiasts do. Plenty of Americans would love to see rifles like the ones used in this outlawed.

Obviously banning guns outright is never going to happen. I wonder would any future governemnt consider passing legislation that outlaws the sale or circulation of any new weapons? Like they did for machineguns in 1986. So people who currently own guns can keep theirs, but they can't buy any new ones and neither can anyone else. That would stop any more guns from entering circulation at the very least.

This simply isn't true , because if it was , it would have a political platform. Yet there is no serious political initiative for any form of comphrensive gun control, nor any significant public outcry for change . In fact, in the last 10 years the exact opposite has happened with considerable reduction in gun control ( carry laws, handguns etc , lapse of federal laws etc )

The logical conclusion is therefore that US civil society accepts these atrocities are an " acceptable " price to pay to retain gun freedoms.

The parallel with dunblane is compelling , after dunblane their was a massive public outcry in the uk in relation to handguns , such that a complete and total ban was possible and the rounding up,largely voluntarily compiled with, of existing handguns.

No equivalent outcry is occurring in the US, The conclusion is therefore self evident

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The sick obsession the USA has with firearms will mean this latest atrocity will be replaced by yet another soon enough. I really thought after the Sandy Hook school massacre that gun laws would begin to change in America.

Sadly I was very wrong.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The sick obsession the USA has with firearms will mean this latest atrocity will be replaced by yet another soon enough. I really thought after the Sandy Hook school massacre that gun laws would begin to change in America.

Sadly I was very wrong.

Agrred, US society has largely accepted such atrocities are an acceptable price to pay for retaining and even increasing gun freedoms

It's a wonder US citizens can't buy personal rockets , grenades , and other man portable weaponery at this stage , the NRA is serously lacking here ...

Maybe, I'm reluctant to go accusing all Americans of having blood on their hands over this, I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

Maybe, I'm reluctant to go accusing all Americans of having blood on their hands over this, I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

Well there is 320 odd million of them! That's something I can never get my head around. People say "all Americans are X" but it's a fcuking massive country! It's got multiple time zones and continents and climates and peoples. Alaska is nothing like Hawaii. Kentucky is nothing like Maine. The USA is a massively diverse country and when people say all Americans are ______ it makes me really wonder if they even know what they're saying.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Well there is 320 odd million of them! That's something I can never get my head around. People say "all Americans are X" but it's a fcuking massive country! It's got multiple time zones and continents and climates and peoples. Alaska is nothing like Hawaii. Kentucky is nothing like Maine. The USA is a massively diverse country and when people say all Americans are ______ it makes me really wonder if they even know what they're saying.

Many countries are more diverse then the US, with many time zones , languages , radically different groupings etc.

Most don't have home made shooters from the 32nd floor mowing down concert goers

Diversity has nothing to do with this argument

• Advertisement

Americans don't have blood on their hands , that statement suggest a collective perception of the issues around gun freedoms and such atrocities. If the US had a public outcry and nothing happened one could advance that view

The fact is Americans simply don't care enough to change anything

Advertisement