Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herbs and Winter

Options
  • 02-10-2017 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I am growing a few herbs in my garden. A couple are beginning to die back now.
    I was wondering, how do people here (a) preserve their herbs, and/or (b) maintain their growth (would you bring them inside for the autumn/winter)??

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

It depends on the herb. Some are quite hardy and generally fine outside in the winter e.g. sage, thyme, rosemary. Mint and chives will die back but then reappear next spring.

Which herbs do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Thanks Whistlejacket for the reply.
    I’ve mint, rosemary, thymes, basil, oregano & sage.
    Just noticed the basil beginning to go, and wondering how other people managed their herbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The basil is an annual and really even if it is indoors it gets scruffy looking over the winter. You really need to be growing it afresh. Oregano is perennial but can be damaged by a harsh winter. All the others should be fine over winter though their leaves may not be as appealing to eat as summer leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I think basil is best grown each year, either buy some seeds or start with a plant from a garden centre in spring/early summer. Everything else should be fine outdoors, you just won't get much in the way of new growth until springtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I think basil is best grown each year, either buy some seeds or start with a plant from a garden centre in spring/early summer. Everything else should be fine outdoors, you just won't get much in the way of new growth until springtime.
    I agree with all the above, but Basil is notoriously difficult to germinate from seeds. I usually get my Basil plants from the Fruit'n'Veg Dept of LIdl's or Aldi. Less than 25% of the price charged by the garden centre. Just separate the clump out a bit and plant in good compost. Feed it after a few weeks and it will grow prodigiously.
    It's a bit late now for outdoor Basil but you could get a bit of mileage out of it yet under cover.

• Advertisement
Advertisement