Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundwood/Glendalough

Options
  • 02-10-2017 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

For some reason, I know not why, I have set Roundwood and then Glendalough as places I would like to cycle to. I'm fairly new to this so I am basically just heading further and further and looking for new challenges all the time.

I currently set off from Dalkey, through Shankill and then from Bray to Enniskerry and back via Kiltiernan and Dundrum, but i would like to cut out the Dundrum bit and head further south, or further up in to the mountains.

Can anyone offer some route suggestions? I had looked at going over Bray head and then turning right towards Kilmacanogue along Bohilla lane, but plotting that on Strava and it looks a bit errr, steep.

I guess what I am asking, is what is the normal route to get to Roundwood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You can go through Enniskerry and up past the Sugarloaf or head to Sally Gap and then left and pick up the same route or straight on and left at Laragh.

Bohilla is short and steep but then you have to go up Red Lane which is longer and steep or up via Kilmac which isn't really fun with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

From Shankhill/bray the primary option is to head up the "long hill" to roundwood and on to Glendalough, or alternatively take a left where it is signposted "roundwood scenic route" after you come out of enniskerry. That hill is a long (8km) drag but easier than going over the mountains.

Alternatively you could head to rathfarnham and head up to the sally gap, then down to glendalough and home via roundwwod. If you go straight through sally gap you come to glendalough, if you turn left at sally gap you come down to roundwood, which is shorter and might be better for your first run. The scenery that way is spectacular as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You could do your normal route to Enniskerry, then continue on to Glencree. From there head to Sally Gap, take a left for the shorter Roundwood route, or on straight for Laragh/Glendalough. Head back to Dalkey via Kilmacanoge, Bray, Shankill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Dalkey - Silver Tassie - Kilternan - Enniskerry - Djouce - Roundwood - Laragh would be the most pleasant option, unless you wanted to go over the Sally Gap, which would be Dalkey - Silver Tassie - Kilternan - Enniskerry - Glencree - Kippure - Sally Gap - Laragh.

The first of those routes would e 80 or 90 kms, not very hilly (except from Enniskerry over the 'Long Hill' side of Djouce (which isn't excessively long, but is certainly a hill). On a nice day (or with a tailwind, or both), the run over the Sally Gap and into Laragh is really lovely - I'd be jealous of anyone doing it for the first time.

A slightly easier, but much more traffic heavy version of the first route is Dalkey-Shankill-Bray-Kilmac-Sugarloaf-Roundwood-Laragh. But best done really early on a weekend morning, before the traffic to Glendalough gets going.

Or, to avoid the very worst of that traffic, Dalkey-Shankill-Bray-Kilmac-Sugarloaf (turn right after about a KM towards Enniskerry, then turn left onto Long Hill, then -Roundwood-Laragh.

Bear in mind that the good news is it will be much easier to go home from Laragh/roundwood than to get out to them - mostly flat/downhill on the way back and you will probably have the wind at your back too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

This here is an example from the 90KM version of the Annual Shay Elliott Race that goes through Roundwood-Lagagh from Bray. By Road.

Obviously, this route, instead of going to Kilpedder, you could cut over to Long Hill Via Enniskerry. There you have the option of going south on the L1036 or the R755 . L1036 is a nice route to Roundwood bar the hill at Long Hill, but sure, it would be safe and if you can't tackle that, there might not be much hope going up the mountains Google map / street view the L1036. The R755 is a busy road, but cyclists do use it and is less of a climb.. Turn right at R759 , Just before Roundwood in order to make your way to to the Sally Gap.

With regard Roundwood to Laragh & Glendalough via road as oppose to Mountain, stay on the R755 . Laragh can send you up to the Sally Gap
    or you could go on the R759 to the Sally Gap , just before Roundwood. (North of Roundwood) Nice Views on the way up such as Lough Tray, where there are a few rest stops at the side.

Of course, if Sally Gap is what you want , from Enniskerry , you can L1011

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20137965

Roundwwod up to sally gap is pretty brutal. Suggest you avoid that. Rathrfarnham - sally gap - Roundwood is fine though - it is going up to the sally gap from the roundwood direction that is tough. Even though you are starting from a higher platform than Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So the R1036 is the road between Djouce and Long hill, is that road known as Long Hill?

Is that harder than Enniskerry-Glencree-Sally Gap?

I might try Silver Tassie to Enniskerry - Glencree - Sally Gap and back via Long Hill to Enniskerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Djouce/Long hill is easier IMHO than the Gap from Glencree. And a fair bit shorter too.

The route you suggest (Silver Tassie to Enniskerry - Glencree - Sally Gap and back via Long Hill to Enniskerry.) is very nice. Bear in mind it's a fair spin from the Gap to Long Hilll (down by Lough Tay, then turn left to go past Ballinastoe and so to Djouce). But google maps, or komoot, or strava, or whoever, will all show you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

From Kilmacanogue at the N11 towards Enniskerry if you keep left at the fork in the road on the R755 then that is the Long hill. This brings you up by the Sugarloaf and eventually into Roundwood. If you go right at that fork towards Enniskerry and take a left after about 1.5km then this is the "Old Long Hill".

This brings you closer to Djouce and also eventually into Roundwood.

The old Long hill is shorter and steeper from memory but a quieter road.

I would do these 2 options to start as anywhere up round Sally Gap/Glencree can be hard this time of year as the weather gets more unsettled.

Another option for you would be straight down the N11 to Newtown and across the R765 to Roundwood. Another tough climb but steady gradient.

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Another option for you would be straight down the N11 to Newtown and across the R765 to Roundwood. Another tough climb but steady gradient.

I'd thought about this, probably going through Kilcoole to get there.

That Newtown to Roundwood climb looks tough. Any idea what category that would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

The R764 Easy Devils Glen, and Callow Hill from Newtown (https://www.strava.com/segments/6195253) are the two easiest routes up onto the Roundwood plateau from the N11. These are the two climbs to take if you're worried about steep ramps and want to keep off the main R755 from Kilmac to Roundwood via Long Hill. The Sally Gap approach from Glendalough/Laragh is the easiest of all routes to get there. And once you're there you hardly have to turn a pedal back to Enniskerry again.

The R765 Slaughter Hill, is aptly named.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I'd thought about this, probably going through Kilcoole to get there.

That Newtown to Roundwood climb looks tough. Any idea what category that would be?

https://www.doogal.co.uk/RouteElevation.php

you can work out all your route gradients from here. Max 10 waypoints.

Highlight a section on the graph after you generate the route and it will give you all the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Plastik wrote: »
    The R764 Easy Devils Glen, and Callow Hill from Newtown (https://www.strava.com/segments/6195253) are the two easiest routes up onto the Roundwood plateau from the N11. These are the two climbs to take if you're worried about steep ramps and want to keep off the main R755 from Kilmac to Roundwood via Long Hill. The Sally Gap approach from Glendalough/Laragh is the easiest of all routes to get there. And once you're there you hardly have to turn a pedal back to Enniskerry again.

Love that hill, my missus lived in Delgany when we first met and I'd often take the bike over for a go at it.
    Shouldda never let her move in with me haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Slaughter actually seems worse in the car than it is on the bike, but Callow Hill definitely the easier option.

You could carry on down the coast road and turn up to Ashford and go up Killiskey ("Easy Devils Glen"). Coming from Cullenmore you can cut up before you come to Ashford village - cuts off the boring draggy straight bit.

I really hate riding on the R755 Kilmac to Roundwood (in either direction) - generally busy, and seems to be a magnet for close/ punishment passes (which I don't get Roundwood to Laragh generally, even though mainly the same traffic base). The Old Long Hill - Stoney Pass is a fair bit lumpier than the main road, but I'd pick it where possible. Just to be aware coming into winter, it is less likely to be treated than the main road, and more likely to have frost/ ice (even snow when the main road is clear!).

No one's mentioned the Wall yet?

Plastik wrote: »

so would it be worth going all the way down to Newcastle and then up Devil's Glen?

Some fantastic pointers here, I just can't wait to get out now. Damn these shorter evenings :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. what is the normal route to get to Roundwood?
    Are you familiar with Roundwood? There's not really anything there and is usually a place cyclists go through or their way to and from Laragh rather than a destination (unless for a coffee stop).

Are you familiar with Roundwood? There's not really anything there and is usually a place cyclists go through or their way to and from Laragh rather than a destination (unless for a coffee stop).

I know, it’s more about making it that far than actually wanting to go there.

My expectation is to get there, spend 10 minutes gasping for air and scoffing a clif bar and then head home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

so would it be worth going all the way down to Newcastle and then up Devil's Glen?

Some fantastic pointers here, I just can't wait to get out now. Damn these shorter evenings :mad:

Either/or. For me if I was aiming for Devils Glen I would pass through Newcastle and take the next right turn, pretty sure it's signposted N11 Detour. This brings you up towards Coynes Cross / Applegreen services and you can make your way to the R764 from there. If I was heading to Callow Hill I would probably turn in Kilcoole, pass Druids Glen, and on to Newtown.

Both of these climbs are nice, Callow is probably a bit quieter. There's an equestrian place on Devils that sees a nice bit of traffic, and it's more of a main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...My expectation is to get there, spend 10 minutes gasping for air and scoffing a clif bar and then head home.
    Go into Sugar Mountain (on Main Street) and get a nice big slice of cake and coffee. (Popular with cyclists).

• Advertisement
Advertisement