Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The long waiting time for Scoliosis surgery in Ireland

Options
  • 02-10-2017 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

I really didnt know where to post this, long term illness? Politics? Health so anyway i have ended up here. - mods if you dont feel its right group can you please feel free to move it to correct one.

Isnt this an absolutely shocking state of affairs of our health service here in Ireland. this poor young lad, life ahead of him has needed Scoliosis treatment for quite some time and still on a long waiting list - in pain and long overdue surgery.

so heartbreaking and i know money is tight and scoliosis surgery is very costly but this seems inhumane to keep a citizen of its country suffering like this at the fault of Irish government/ HSE/Irish health minister or whoever it is to leave someone waiting so long in this medical state - that poor lad must be so much in pain and his life on hold like this until he gets his surgery - and last time I checked I think there was over a hundred young patients in different stages waiting for Scoliosis surgery for a year or more. Do you not think the Irish government and the HSE just get their heads together and come up with a suitable way of getting these waiting lists down once and for all, this situation has been going on for years now.

https://www.facebook.com/ScoliosisAdvocacyNetwork/photos/a.1244213868925859.1073741828.1244038508943395/2039082706105634/?type=3&permPage=1

22050304_2039082706105634_8726667129626819145_n.jpg?oh=dcc81443030ebe1f0c154f4397f6bf2b&oe=5A49B8DE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

This is what state involvement in healthcare does. When healthcare is free, there is unlimited demand. And with limited supply, healthcare gets rationed.

It may be worth fundraising and getting surgery in a country with a privatised healthcare and a lower cost base.

A friend of mine has a child who has quite profound special needs, and scoliosis, so he couldn't even really articulate the pain, I can't imagine how distressing that is for all. I believe the Beacon sets aside one day every week or month where nurses and doctors come in on effectively a charitable basis and give up their free time for no pay to work through the backlog and he was treated through that, the relief was just enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Money is tight...what do we pay tax for. That is very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

A friend of mine has a child who has quite profound special needs, and scoliosis, so he couldn't even really articulate the pain, I can't imagine how distressing that is for all. I believe the Beacon sets aside one day every week or month where nurses and doctors come in on effectively a charitable basis and give up their free time for no pay to work through the backlog and he was treated through that, the relief was just enormous.

Wonder if that is this place? - its a charity :

straight ahead ireland

Wonder if that is this place? - its a charity

straight ahead ireland

Could be alright. Know that getting the charity to accept the case was a huge boost, because they assess cases and obviously don't do it for everyone, but once someone goes in under their auspices it actually also takes out the waiting time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Tenigate wrote: »
    This is what state involvement in healthcare does. When healthcare is free, there is unlimited demand. And with limited supply, healthcare gets rationed.

It may be worth fundraising and getting surgery in a country with a privatised healthcare and a lower cost base.

It may have passed your notice buy health care certainly isn't free in this country. And if you want to see want a lack of government involvement does. See how expensive it would be in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I really didnt know where to post this, long term illness? Politics? Health so anyway i have ended up here. - mods if you dont feel its right group can you please feel free to move it to correct one.

Isnt this an absolutely shocking state of affairs of our health service here in Ireland. this poor young lad, life ahead of him has needed Scoliosis treatment for quite some time and still on a long waiting list - in pain and long overdue surgery.

Why don't they get treatment in the North or France?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/eu_healthcare/travelling_for_healthcare.html#l83e81

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

It's a confluence of factors really. We have neither the number of ortho surgeons, theatre capacity nor funding for these surgeries due to chronic poor allocation of government funding and failure to address the bureaucracy of the HSE. It's a complete failing of the Irish state and constitutes state abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Moved to the Health Sciences forum as I think this is the best spot for it. I'll report this post so the local mods will know and might have a better place for it.

In the meantime please read the local charter before posting.

Advertisement