Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with this company?

Options
  • 02-10-2017 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

tl;dr version: I have been trying to get an Eir phoneline and broadband in my new home since mid-August. After an incredible display of incompetence by their staff, I cancelled everything and now I get emails welcoming me to Eir (with a brand new account number) and (yet another) installation appointment confirmation.

My story: Bought a new house about 300m away from where I lived in the last 6 years in Wicklow town. Knowing that we will be moving in sometime in September, I started moving the gears in mid August to set up my internet connection, as I am a remote employee and rely heavily on internet availability. It's a new development and I was expecting some delays.

First 4 phonecalls to Eir gave me the first signs that they were clueless. They said that my address is not registered but they can register it for me in their system and someone would call me back to help me place the order. No one ever did (up until today, first callback ever, keep reading) so I had to keep calling in, only to be told each time "we have no record of your earlier calls or your address" and each time the helpful agent promising me that they will do it right this time.

On my 5th call on the end of August, someone actually registered my address (but never called back), because when I called the 6th time, they had my details! (hurray!) Around that time we actually moved in, so I had no time to chase them, but on the 20th September I called and placed the order. I double-triple checked every piece of information I gave them and it looked that they had everything correctly.

The day before my installation appointment on the 28th September I get a routine call to confirm that my engineer will be out tomorrow, but when confirming my address, I noticed that they have actually (wait for it) added a whole different address in mine. Not instead of mine, inside my address. So the engineer was coming to "Myhousenumber, Myroadname, Clonmannon Village, Ashford town, Wicklow town, Co. Wicklow".

I said that this was partially correct and they immediately told me that they have to cancel the engineer visit and that I would have to call Eir to have a new order placed, as the address cannot change once the order is placed.

I called Eir about 9-10 times for a total of 4 or 5 hours of listening to excuses and being on hold, in the few days following the call that cancelled my engineer visit and Eir order. Got my blood pressure to record high levels (literally), had people promising me callbacks in 30 minutes and then hanging up the phone when I called 2 hours later and they realised that I was the same person the made the promise to and the list goes on. The day ended with my original order cancelled and no ETA for anything from Eir. Just "we'll call you back when your address gets an ARD".

I decided to walk around to the other ~10 families that have already moved in the new development and the first door I knocked, was a father of two who also works from home and have been trying to get a phoneline from Eir since May (!) He was told that there are no phonelines laid for the development and any engineer visits that he's had so far was a guy showing up at his door, announcing to him that there still are no lines installed and walking away 30 seconds later. They made the exact same error with "Clonmannon Village" in his address and from that point forward his story was identical to mine, except his ordeal was several months longer than mine.

I did not knock on a 2nd door, I just drove to Arklow and bought a 4G router from Three, along with an 18-month contract, as I have already been working for a week on my company's phone via a tethered connection and I have consumed way beyond the amount of GBs that I am allowed to.
    Set it up, got online within seconds, tested my connection (90+ down, 30+ up) and closed the chapter "internet" for me, for at least 18 months.
    Or so I thought.

This morning, less than 24 hours after going online via 4G, I called Eir to make sure there is nothing pending from their side. Spent another half hour on the phone/on hold, with both the front line techs and the cancellation team trying to find my account number or any other of my personal details. No sign of my name, mobile number, address, let alone my account number, anywhere on their systems. Not even a trace of the hours that I have spent on the phone to them. The lady in the cancellations team assured me that there's definitely nothing pending from their side.

Phone rings about an hour ago, last guy I spoke to last week calls me back. The first callback comes about 2 months after the first promised one. He started telling me that we can place the order now, as my address finally got an ARD. I said first of all, there are physically no phone lines, my neighbours had many Eir installation engineer callouts just showing up, telling people there are no lines and walking away. Secondly, I have already sorted my internet access and will not be needing Eir at all. He thanked me and we hang up.

20 minutes later, I get 2 emails from Eir: a "Welcome" email with my brand new Eir account number and a confirmation email for my new installation.

I am not planning to call them and cancel this, I did not order it and have no desire to spend a single more minute on the phone to them. They will not get a cent from me and if they want to send an engineer out anyway, good for them, but I am not going to be getting any service from them or pay for any of their actions, for an order that I did not place.

To the Eir Boards.ie reps that might see this: if you see the need to action anything, feel free to do so. I, personally, do not need anything from Eir and as you may have noticed on my post, I have already purchased a contract with Three. I don't know why my call this morning to "cancel anything outstanding" may have been translated by your staff into "let's give him a new account number and book an engineer for him", but it's no longer my problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Chosen wrote: »
    tl;dr version: I have been trying to get an Eir phoneline and broadband in my new home since mid-August. After an incredible display of incompetence by their staff, I cancelled everything and now I get emails welcoming me to Eir (with a brand new account number) and (yet another) installation appointment confirmation.

My story: Bought a new house about 300m away from where I lived in the last 6 years in Wicklow town. Knowing that we will be moving in sometime in September, I started moving the gears in mid August to set up my internet connection, as I am a remote employee and rely heavily on internet availability. It's a new development and I was expecting some delays.

First 4 phonecalls to Eir gave me the first signs that they were clueless. They said that my address is not registered but they can register it for me in their system and someone would call me back to help me place the order. No one ever did (up until today, first callback ever, keep reading) so I had to keep calling in, only to be told each time "we have no record of your earlier calls or your address" and each time the helpful agent promising me that they will do it right this time.

On my 5th call on the end of August, someone actually registered my address (but never called back), because when I called the 6th time, they had my details! (hurray!) Around that time we actually moved in, so I had no time to chase them, but on the 20th September I called and placed the order. I double-triple checked every piece of information I gave them and it looked that they had everything correctly.

The day before my installation appointment on the 28th September I get a routine call to confirm that my engineer will be out tomorrow, but when confirming my address, I noticed that they have actually (wait for it) added a whole different address in mine. Not instead of mine, inside my address. So the engineer was coming to "Myhousenumber, Myroadname, Clonmannon Village, Ashford town, Wicklow town, Co. Wicklow".

I said that this was partially correct and they immediately told me that they have to cancel the engineer visit and that I would have to call Eir to have a new order placed, as the address cannot change once the order is placed.

I called Eir about 9-10 times for a total of 4 or 5 hours of listening to excuses and being on hold, in the few days following the call that cancelled my engineer visit and Eir order. Got my blood pressure to record high levels (literally), had people promising me callbacks in 30 minutes and then hanging up the phone when I called 2 hours later and they realised that I was the same person the made the promise to and the list goes on. The day ended with my original order cancelled and no ETA for anything from Eir. Just "we'll call you back when your address gets an ARD".

I decided to walk around to the other ~10 families that have already moved in the new development and the first door I knocked, was a father of two who also works from home and have been trying to get a phoneline from Eir since May (!) He was told that there are no phonelines laid for the development and any engineer visits that he's had so far was a guy showing up at his door, announcing to him that there still are no lines installed and walking away 30 seconds later. They made the exact same error with "Clonmannon Village" in his address and from that point forward his story was identical to mine, except his ordeal was several months longer than mine.

I did not knock on a 2nd door, I just drove to Arklow and bought a 4G router from Three, along with an 18-month contract, as I have already been working for a week on my company's phone via a tethered connection and I have consumed way beyond the amount of GBs that I am allowed to.
    Set it up, got online within seconds, tested my connection (90+ down, 30+ up) and closed the chapter "internet" for me, for at least 18 months.
    Or so I thought.

This morning, less than 24 hours after going online via 4G, I called Eir to make sure there is nothing pending from their side. Spent another half hour on the phone/on hold, with both the front line techs and the cancellation team trying to find my account number or any other of my personal details. No sign of my name, mobile number, address, let alone my account number, anywhere on their systems. Not even a trace of the hours that I have spent on the phone to them. The lady in the cancellations team assured me that there's definitely nothing pending from their side.

Phone rings about an hour ago, last guy I spoke to last week calls me back. The first callback comes about 2 months after the first promised one. He started telling me that we can place the order now, as my address finally got an ARD. I said first of all, there are physically no phone lines, my neighbours had many Eir installation engineer callouts just showing up, telling people there are no lines and walking away. Secondly, I have already sorted my internet access and will not be needing Eir at all. He thanked me and we hang up.

20 minutes later, I get 2 emails from Eir: a "Welcome" email with my brand new Eir account number and a confirmation email for my new installation.

I am not planning to call them and cancel this, I did not order it and have no desire to spend a single more minute on the phone to them. They will not get a cent from me and if they want to send an engineer out anyway, good for them, but I am not going to be getting any service from them or pay for any of their actions, for an order that I did not place.

To the Eir Boards.ie reps that might see this: if you see the need to action anything, feel free to do so. I, personally, do not need anything from Eir and as you may have noticed on my post, I have already purchased a contract with Three. I don't know why my call this morning to "cancel anything outstanding" may have been translated by your staff into "let's give him a new account number and book an engineer for him", but it's no longer my problem.
    Hi Chosen,

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. I sincerely apologise for the issues that you've experienced while trying to get your services installed with us. The time it has taken to get your address registered in our system was a lot longer than this is supposed to take and I completely understand your frustration with this and with not receiving the callbacks that you were offered by our agents. 

If you would like to PM me your new account number and your full name I can take a look at the email that email that you've received about your new appointment and I'll be able to give you an update on the status of your account. I understand that you don't want to ring us again about this, however, if the order has not been cancelled, you would need to give our cancellations department a ring about this as we're unable to close accounts from here I'm afraid.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

eir: Adam wrote: »
     if the order has not been cancelled, you would need to give our cancellations department a ring about this as we're unable to close accounts from here I'm afraid.

- Adam
    My original order was cancelled as soon as they realised that the wrong address was in their system, in fact your staff couldn't find even my details anywhere.
    The order that was placed yesterday, was not placed by myself. When I called, I spoke to cancellations and when your rep called me an hour later to tell me that my address now has an ARD, I just told him I am no longer interested in any services by Eir. I am going to send you a PM anyway, but you better not tell me that Eir decided to place the order against my will, as the issue will take a swift turn to legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 grimgriefer

I joined Eir but left within the cooling off period because of their FUP. Two weeks later I got a bill for just over €60 which required four back to back phone calls to eventually get through to someone to confirm that he bill was not valid as I had left. During those phonecalls three times I got told they had to transfer me to someone else due to not having access to a new system and then they hung up. Only when I was on my fourth attempt did I tell an agent to out me through only after he had spoken to the other department did I manage to confirm I was not in debt.
    Next week I get a text message saying I owe over €250 due to installation and closing contract early and again I go through the process of phoning them to eventually get through to the "super" department and confirm that I had left within the cooling off period and that there was no bill owed and no contract in place. To confrim I tried to log into My Eir and sure enough it said that I had no contract. The agent confirmed that that would be the end of the matter and I would hear no more from Eir.
    Today I got an email saying I owed them over €250. :mad: 

I'm not ringing them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Chosen wrote: »
    eir: Adam wrote: »
     if the order has not been cancelled, you would need to give our cancellations department a ring about this as we're unable to close accounts from here I'm afraid.

- Adam
    My original order was cancelled as soon as they realised that the wrong address was in their system, in fact your staff couldn't find even my details anywhere.
    The order that was placed yesterday, was not placed by myself. When I called, I spoke to cancellations and when your rep called me an hour later to tell me that my address now has an ARD, I just told him I am no longer interested in any services by Eir. I am going to send you a PM anyway, but you better not tell me that Eir decided to place the order against my will, as the issue will take a swift turn to legal.
    Thanks for the information Chosen. 

I'll come back to you soon through PM's.

Thanks 

Adam 

Advertisement