Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring takes on Nest home security system

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting, but seems like they are rushing this out because of Nests announcement.

The only mention on the ring.com website is a blog entry which links to this page https://ring.com/protect that currently doesn't exist! No detailed info, no specs, no videos, no info on how it will integrate with other systems. Just comes across rushed. But good to finally see companies get smart alarm systems out their. It was an obvious hole in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/02/ring-protect-home-security-system/

Pricewise it's reasonable for the basic kit, however it's an additional $20/$30 for sensors/PIRs. Quick look around from where I'm sitting & I'd need to spend an additional $320 to cover doors & windows & another $90 for PIRs. I'm sure Nest wouldn't be too far off that either, but I've never been let down by a nest camera going offline like the ring does.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

OU812 wrote: »
    https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/02/ring-protect-home-security-system/

Pricewise it's reasonable for the basic kit, however it's an additional $20/$30 for sensors/PIRs. Quick look around from where I'm sitting & I'd need to spend an additional $320 to cover doors & windows & another $90 for PIRs. I'm sure Nest wouldn't be too far off that either, but I've never been let down by a nest camera going offline like the ring does.

Well The Ring setup comes with two magnet sensors and one PIR for $200 and costs $20/$30 for additional sensors/PIRs

Nest comes with two door sensors/pirs for $500 and costs $50 per additional door sensor/PIR!

So I suspect Nest would end up costing you well over $1000, if not closer to $1500 for the same coverage in your home. So a lot more expensive.

It would definitely need to be much more reliable though then the Ring doorbells.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You'd have to consider the xiaomi one here too. Very reasonable. I'm not impressed with Samsung's smart things though

Stoner wrote: »
    You'd have to consider the xiaomi one here too. Very reasonable. I'm not impressed with Samsung's smart things though

Wow! That Xiaomi system is incredibly cheap!

Though my concern would be the seeming lack of integration with anything else, no IFTTT, Echo, GHome, etc. At least Smartthings has decent integration.

What about Smartthings doesn't impress you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    What about Smartthings doesn't impress you?

I like the socket. The door contact is very poor quality imo. The motion detector too. The fob lasted about 2 months on battery

Advertisement