Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet bill

Options
  • 02-10-2017 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I am just wondering if this sounds right to u all. I'm just back from the vet with my kitten we suspected he broke his leg falling. He got an xray and pain killer and showed no brakes or fractures. The vet bill cost me 250€ does this sound right? Seems a bit bizarre to me? Also he claims he gave me a half price discount due to being on a partial social welfare payment? Surely an xray and a pain killer does not cost 500€?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hi I am just wondering if this sounds right to u all. I'm just back from the vet with my kitten we suspected he broke his leg falling. He got an xray and pain killer and showed no brakes or fractures. The vet bill cost me 250€ does this sound right? Seems a bit bizarre to me? Also he claims he gave me a half price discount due to being a single mother? Surely an xray and a pain killer does not cost 250€?

I think you should have posted this in Bargain Alerts and named the vet so any other single mothers with limpy kittens could also save 250 euro.

I wonder do single fathers get half price as well?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Did the medical card not cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aoifeplunkett

I think you should have posted this in Bargain Alerts and named the vet so any other single mothers with limpy kittens could also save 250 euro.

I wonder do single fathers get half price as well?

Thanks for the lack of advice, and yes single fathers also get a discount. The same as anybody on social welfare payments. No need to be so smart

Tenigate wrote: »
    Did the medical card not cover it?

I don't have a medical card

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

I thought cats always landed on their feet?
    Anyway, I’d imagine once you’re into X-rays you’re talking hundreds. Getting my small dog neutered was €200 and that’s a routine procedure

• Advertisement

Thanks for the lack of advice, and yes single fathers also get a discount. The same as anybody on social welfare payments. No need to be so smart

Your welcome Aoife.

Here's another tip, not all single parents are in receipt of welfare payments.

And here's another one, if that limp doesn't go away, why not just super glue the kittens lame leg to a small skateboard or something like that and save yourself another 250 euro (less the price of the glue and small skateboard).

Or.............. follow the above advice but first get married and hey presto, you save 500 euro!

You're welcome Aoife.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Your welcome Aoife.

Here's another tip, not all single parents are in receipt of welfare payments.

And here's another one, if that limp doesn't go away, why not just super glue the kittens lame leg to a small skateboard or something like that and save yourself another 250 euro (less the price of the glue and small skateboard).

Or.............. follow the above advice but first get married and hey presto, you save 500 euro!

You're welcome Aoife.

Great advice thanks a mill, I'll make sure to ask my next childs father to marry me before he dies yeah? ****ing prick🖕

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Michelle_b

Some vets can be more expensive than others. Maybe try ask around and see if you can find out about different vets in your area.

Glad your kitty is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

It seems a crazy price, I got an x-ray done at the dentist and it was around €50. Glad your kitten is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

It seems a crazy price, I got an x-ray done at the dentist and it was around €50. Glad your kitten is ok.

You’re comparing apples with beer. Unrelated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Possibly true but why would taking an x-ray of an animal be so expensive.

Hi I am just wondering if this sounds right to u all. I'm just back from the vet with my kitten we suspected he broke his leg falling. He got an xray and pain killer and showed no brakes or fractures. The vet bill cost me 250€ does this sound right? Seems a bit bizarre to me? Also he claims he gave me a half price discount due to being on a partial social welfare payment? Surely an xray and a pain killer does not cost 500€?

Hi Aoife.

You might get more relevant, serious responses over in the Animals and Pets forum...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240

We had a similar experience with our cat in the last few weeks who somehow got her jaw broken and dislocated. X-rays, operation, medicines, check-up, we're already up to €300 with the vet, with another €140 operation to come soon. That's without any SW discount or anything. The X-rays alone were €170.

I would question the full price of €500 in your situation for just x-ray and meds. That seems very high if someone had to actually pay that much. Actually, it's a bit nuts for one cat X-ray, general appointment and painkillers.

€250 seems more right than €500, but I don't think you got any discount from the vet here. Comparing it to my own costs with a reputable city vet...

X-rays cost from around €80 upwards depending on how many have to be done/the complexity of the injury. Our cat needed four in one session. This was for a complicated jaw/mouth injury, hence the €170. Maybe yours shouldn't have cost that much with a leg injury.

Painkillers and appointment time should cost about €60 together. Cat painkiller meds are on the cheaper end of the substances scale. It's when operations and therefore anesthetics are required, that's when the cost shoots up. Your kitten didn't have this though.

Just going on the information you provided, I think the vet did quite well here actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

We had our dog in last week. It involved consultation, x-ray, overnight stay and medication. Cost 160. Based in previous experience with a few different vets, yes it does sound excessive to be honest but like all this things prices vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

What about cider?

Possibly true but why would taking an x-ray of an animal be so expensive.

It's only expensive if you're married with kids, what part of that can't you understand?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@aofeplunkett and Rows grower - please keep it civil and refrain from unhelpful responses and name-calling.

Gaspode wrote: »
    @aofeplunkett and Rows grower - please keep it civil and refrain from unhelpful responses and name-calling.

Duly noted Gaspode, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

City vet prices are through the roof.
    If you go rural you get much better service (on call 24/7), better experience (more animals) and better rates.
    Sorry you got stung.

Advertisement