Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mushroom in garden

Options
  • 02-10-2017 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Are these mushroom/toadstool poisonous? Is there a specific name?
    Noticed these in our "garden" today. Very dramatic looking.

I am not intending in trying them - want to rule out if bad for the dogs in case they get notions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

It's this one and it's not edible - at least mildly poisonous.

https://www.irelandswildlife.com/fly-agaric-amanita-muscaria/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

Yes, Fly Agaric. Never heard of dogs eating them, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

I have heard that these are hallucinogenic also but the toxic dose is supposed to be fairly close to the psychoactive one. In Holland where I was working before someone was recommending only eating part of one rather than a full mushroom to get a nice effect. Talked to someone else who had tried them and they described some very vivid hallucinations. You'll probably notice if your dogs eat them but they probably have enough sense to stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

macraignil wrote: »
    I have heard that these are hallucinogenic also but the toxic dose is supposed to be fairly close to the psychoactive one. In Holland where I was working before someone was recommending only eating part of one rather than a full mushroom to get a nice effect. Talked to someone else who had tried them and they described some very vivid hallucinations. You'll probably notice if your dogs eat them but they probably have enough sense to stay away.

Retrievers like to eat pretty much anything:D
    I will move the mushrooms along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dogs have been known to eat them and to have suffered liver damage as a result. Best to pull and dispose of them - wear gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Jesus don’t eat the ones that look like the mushroom from Mario Bros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dangerous advice. The ibotenic acid and muscimol they contain is toxic and dangerous in quite small doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

billie1b wrote: »
    Jesus don’t the ones that look like the mushroom from Mario Bros.

I've heard it said that the hallucinogenic effects of these type of mushrooms is the reason they are connected with fairy-tales like Alice in wonderland and it's probably how they made there way into Mario Bros as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Wasn't much room in the end. They went across the hedge for the birds

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

I've heard it said that the hallucinogenic effects of these type of mushrooms is the reason they are connected with fairy-tales like Alice in wonderland and it's probably how they made there way into Mario Bros as well.

Absolutely. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

There is a link below to a comprehensive guide to both the edible and poisonous fungi found in the British Isles.
    www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guides/

Advertisement