Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme Slieve Bloom challenge Sat Oct 7th Birr.

Options
  • 02-10-2017 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Has any boardsies done this?
    170km 2500m climbing....

https://www.facebook.com/WolftrapCC/

Might be nice to finish off the sportive year with this...??Any feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Id say it would finish me off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

never done it before
    but seems like its going to be epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Hoping to do it, though if I'm totally weather dependent, if we can travel the land at home I'll be working.

I've never done the event but I'm well familiar with all the climbs, you'd definitely want to be holding plenty in reserve for the Glendine from the Laois side (#4) and the final climb, the Wolftrap from the Cut side is no piece of cake either to finish the day.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25493745

The only other sportives I've done so far this year are the Orwell Randonnee and the WW200, this would be well in the same league I reckon, the Blooms are gorgeous, well worth a visit for anyone who can make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

nilhg wrote: »
    Hoping to do it, though if I'm totally weather dependent, if we can travel the land at home I'll be working.

I've never done the event but I'm well familiar with all the climbs, you'd definitely want to be holding plenty in reserve for the Glendine from the Laois side (#4) and the final climb, the Wolftrap from the Cut side is no piece of cake either to finish the day.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25493745

The only other sportives I've done so far this year are the Orwell Randonnee and the WW200, this would be well in the same league I reckon, the Blooms are gorgeous, well worth a visit for anyone who can make it.

Same here busy Saturday but thinking of cancelling the lot and heading up.

Very little done all year but have never had bike in Blooms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I was really interested in this but can't make it on Saturday. Glendine is a tasty climb alright ;)
    Ford, go. The Blooms really are gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

Did it last year. Starts out flat for a bit and then you hit the hills for a sufferfest. Weather last year was okay, cool but you are thankful of this on the climbs.

Group broke up very early but does not matter too much when climbing. Surfaces good but watch the decents. Smooth tar with moss in sheltered spots so if it is damp it gets slippy.

I thought about bailing out after 4 climbs last year but stubborn streak kicked in and I completed it. Soup and sandwiches half way but you need to bring bars\gels. Any time you see the organizers handing out bars grab them even if you are not hungry. I bonked on last climb and it was a nightmare cycle back to Birr. Fell in the door of some greasy Italian and ordered the menu, I was gone delirious with hunger.

Plan to do it again this year. Pic from last year heading up the 5th climb I think.

429552.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Climb at 85km is bitch a good km at 10%, laois side is usually best road. first part of last descent after 145km is horrific, got be one of worst pieces of road. then few km down it turns into a national road with cat eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

anyway of knowing the max gradients of each climb
    plus where is/are the foodstop(s)? is there bars/gels
    thanks
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Hoping to go. 3 of us. Going to be an early shtart!

seanin4711 wrote: »
    anyway of knowing the max gradients of each climb
    plus where is/are the foodstop(s)? is there bars/gels
    thanks
    John

Off the top of my head, glendine offaly side 12%max, Glendine laois 17%, Wolftrap Offaly side 10% Laois side 14% Cut 6% both sides.

Food stop in Kinnity after 100km, water station on top of the Wolftrap at 70/150km, not sure if they'll have bars there, though it's be no harm if they took a leaf from the Ranndonee's book and had a few cans of Coke there too, always feels well earned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seems like torture, no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I'm doing this, there is 5 of us going. Looking forward to a drink after :pac:

Does anyone know how this compares to the Wicklow 200? Easier / harder?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

I've done both id say this is harder as there is less recovery time between climbs and there the gradient is steeper. I guess it depends on how heavy you are. If you are heavy Glendine from Mountrath side and the climb to Wolftrap starting at 60k are pure torture. That said if I was free I would have done it. Unlike wicklow as you are doing all the climbs twice you can bail out anytime you like. In a way though that also makes it harder if you get tired.

benneca1 wrote: »
    I've done both id say this is harder as there is less recovery time between climbs and there the gradient is steeper. I guess it depends on how heavy you are. If you are heavy Glendine from Mountrath side and the climb to Wolftrap starting at 60k are pure torture. That said if I was free I would have done it. Unlike wicklow as you are doing all the climbs twice you can bail out anytime you like. In a way though that also makes it harder if you get tired.

Cheers that makes sense with recovery.

If the gradients are that steep, the climbs must be shorter, are they? Are they just sort of outta-the-saddle-ramps and off about your business?

Like I didn't think there were any alps in the midlands! :) and 2500m climbing isn't outrageous over 170k

fat bloke wrote: »
    If the gradients are that steep, the climbs must be shorter, are they? Are they just sort of outta-the-saddle-ramps and off about your business?

Like I didn't think there were any alps in the midlands! :) and 2500m climbing isn't outrageous over 170k
    Shure twill be no bother to you then maybe you should do it twice

Any how to answer your question Glendine is ramp after ramp after ramp just is a killer dunno easy bits 10% hard bits 14% +  Has about 2 km over 10%. The other one has  about 2.5 K over 8% maxing at 12% which might be handy for you but kills me.

Any how to answer your question Glendine is ramp after ramp after ramp just is a killer dunno easy bits 10% hard bits 14% +  Has about 2 km over 10%. The other one has  about 2.5 K over 8% maxing at 12% which might be handy for you but kills me.

Yerra sure I'll bring the small ring anyway, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Like I didn't think there were any alps in the midlands! smile.png and 2500m climbing isn't outrageous over 170k

They're all kind of in-and-around 300m of climbing each (hence the 7x 300m and ye come up with the near 2500m or so overall for your spin)

Cut is about 7km from both sides
    Wolftrap about 4km (from the cut side), and about 7km from Kinnitty side
    Glendine (from tough side) is about 6km. From Kinnitty side it's too awkward to measure...but about 8km from the turn off the Roscrea Rd, not climbing all of that time though.

Probably that's made it more confusing now! ha! :o

The Cut I think is the only sort of 'steady' climb, whereas the others have steep ramps, or 'steps'.

Fantastic view as ye crest the Wolftrap headed towards Kinnitty...love that! Blooms are a great little mountain range, and so quite too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

could i use an e-bike ? or would that be frowned upon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Was up the slieve blooms this morning for a spin, beautiful morning for it but the descents were lethal with wet leaves and greasy surface.

Moral of story take it handy.

I reckon the event will be a piece of cake by comparison with pinning down the details of the event. It has to be the worst I've come across, and sportives are generally bad.

How hard is it to have one page with all the relevant details present and correct. I've got Facebook links to the 2015 cycle, links to photos and testimonials from the 2016 cycle, links which ask me if I ready for the 2017 extreme challenge.

There are so far 5 riders that I've encouraged to do the event and no clear and plain page to direct them to.

Turn up in Birr its not that big someone will point you to the rugby club. Details are on their facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

I reckon the event will be a piece of cake by comparison with pinning down the details of the event. It has to be the worst I've come across, and sportives are generally bad.

How hard is it to have one page with all the relevant details present and correct. I've got Facebook links to the 2015 cycle, links to photos and testimonials from the 2016 cycle, links which ask me if I ready for the 2017 extreme challenge.

There are so far 5 riders that I've encouraged to do the event and no clear and plain page to direct them to.

And don't crack a joke about it being cold......they have heard it a million times 😎
    Best of luck with the spin.

Nose to the grindstone for me in the morning I'm afraid, best of luck to all in the Blooms tomorrow, hopefully I'll get to follow in your wheeltracks in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

8am or 8.30am start to this?, email said 8.30 , facebook 8am ?? ok i see its 8.45 further down in the options ...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

devonp wrote: »
    8am or 8.30am start to this?, email said 8.30 , facebook 8am ?? ok i see its 8.45 further down in the options ...

Roll out at 8.45am

• Advertisement

Well that's me told. Fcukin hell that was hard.

Advertisement