Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Petty RIP

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Gone @ 66.

Way to young to go....

Nearly the last of the Wilburies.

Just Bob & Jeff left I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Only just saw him play three months ago. Cant say I was a huge fan before getting the ticket, but it was a really enjoyable gig. Seemed like a sound fella too. Sad news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Sad news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

LordSutch wrote: »
    Gone @ 66.

Way to young to go....

mad how dylan is one of the last two going. But long may he continue. RIP Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LordSutch wrote: »
    Gone @ 66.

Way to young to go....

It's striking how young they have died over the years.

Always liked Petty, Into the Great Wide Open is a fantastic album, but it's only one of several of that standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I really love She's the One soundtrack

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sky News say no info on his current condition only that he has had a heart attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

It never ceases to amaze me how quick people are to update Wikipedia after someone dies.

seems they're even faster to revert the changes when there's a mistake...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

We all back down in the End.

He left a lot of nice memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Surely someone knows if Petty is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

15 minutes ago update was released that he's still clinging to life.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/914969139571290112

It seems some media outlets pulled a election 2000 Florida moment by jumping the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

She wus an A-mer-icun girl...daling ling ling ling ling ooooh woooooo

God bless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

She wus an A-mer-icun girl...daling ling ling ling ling ooooh woooooo

God bless

Sounds more like she was a Chinese girl here.

RIP. Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

his latest stuff is great, but this is an old favorite of mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

There ain't no easy way out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

This I think is my favourite video with Tom: the end of the line, by the Traveling Wilburys. The song was recorded while Roy Orbison was still alive. Then Roy died and they made the video a week or two later. You can really feel the emotions in the rest of the band. And Orbison's gujtar in the rocking chair when it's his turn to sing.
    And a cracker of a song to boot.
    RIP Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

It hasn't been confirmed that he has passed away....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

It hasn't been confirmed that he has passed away....

Wikipedia has that he's passed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

KKkitty wrote: »
    Wikipedia has that he's passed away.

Anybody can edit W*nkipedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I saw him in Hyde Park this Summer. I know it's a cliche, but it was a dream come true. Celebrity deaths never really affect me, but earlier when I read he had passed away, I was genuinely quite sad. Now there's uncertainty, I'm dreading having that feeling again when I wake up tomorrow.

I've been guilty of rolling my eyes at Facebook posts and the like of people saying they're devastated when a celebrity dies, but I think now I'd be a little more open-minded about it.

Don't head into the great wide open just yet Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'm learning to fly but I ain't got wings.

You've all the wings you need man. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Always liked Tom Petty. RIP :(

This one is my favourite of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

From his official twitter account :(

https://twitter.com/tompetty/status/915072929120972801

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

His southern drawl, wispy blonde hair and blue eyes made him extremely charismatic. Dying at 66, that's no age to die. He didn't have the capacity to write a bad tune. Last album Hypnotic Eye is as good as it gets.

"Runnin down a dream" is a fantastic documentary. I've watched it numerous times, I'll always go back to it. Absolute gentleman, nobody had a bad word to say about him, he never backed down from the corporate side of things.

You will be sorely missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my fav video of the 80s...

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

For all the Tom Petty songs I've listened to over the years I think today might be the first time I've actually seen what he looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

First heard of him when when Full Moon Fever came out and been a fan ever since, be it solo, Heartbreakers or Wilburys.
    Seen several documentaries and read loads of articles and he always comes across as a decent, hardworking, music loving, old-fashioned rocker.
    A legend in the true sense of the word.
    Will absolutely miss him.
    RIP Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

For any of the pups out there reading this, do yourself a favour and start listening to Tom. A true musical icon.

Seen him in Dublin 2012, fantastic show, loved every minute of it.

Farewell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Massive piece of my childhood gone- my dad used to whirl me around the room when Learning to Fly was on the radio. I Won't Back Down was our graduation song in 2005.

Gone far too young. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Dying twice in the one day. Poor fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Will always remember seeing his song last dance with Mary Jane on TV about 20 years ago.
    I think Tom was a genuine artist with real talent (similar to bruce springsteen in this regard) and didn't have to rely on props or guns or showing his tits all over the place like a lot of modern and not so modern singers. Will sadly be missed. I had always said that if I ever won the lotto I would travel to America to see one of his concerts but that's not going to happen now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Well Balls! I'll never get to see him live now, it was on my bucket list.

"Into the great wide open" was the very first CD I ever bought way back in the day. Still have it at home, will definitely be getting a spin tonight.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I always loved this song.

I know the video would not be very PC today and Petty regretted using the confederate flag both in the marketing of the album and on stage.

In his own words ...
    I used it onstage during that song, and I regretted it pretty quickly. When we toured two years later, I noticed people in the audience wearing Confederate flag bandanas and things like that. One night, someone threw one onstage. I stopped everything and gave a speech about it. I said, "Look, this was to illustrate a character. This is not who we are. Having gone through this, I would prefer it if no one would ever bring a Confederate flag to our shows again because this isn't who we are.

Don Felder taught him to play guitar.
    What a teacher.

"I got a room at the top of the world tonight
    I can see everything tonight
    I got a room where everyone
    Can have a drink and forget those things
    That went wrong in their life"

RIP Tom Earl Petty

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Doing a Jerry Maguire/Tom Cruise today (singing "Free Falling" badly in the car)

Sad day, RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Seeing him play in 2012 was one of the best gigs I've ever been to, they were all bouncing around the place like 20 year olds. I'll always remember hearing american girl live.

Very sad RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

One of my favourite musicians and a cool mofo.

Rest in piece and thanks for the memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

As well as being a fantastic musican and song-writer, Tom Petty also played a regular character in King of the Hill - I always kind of hoped that in real life he was just a little bit like Lucky :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcLbHUBoDpI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

My favourite of his songs is Into the Great Wide Open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

An absolute legend of a musician RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Uosdwis R. Dewoh

B0jangles wrote: »
    As well as being a fantastic musican and song-writer, Tom Petty also played a regular character in King of the Hill - I always kind of hoped that in real life he was just a little bit like Lucky :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcLbHUBoDpI
    Yeah a very good voice-over artist with great humour and timing, as demonstrated also by his guesting on The Simpsons. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I know it's a couple of weeks now but I wanted to say a few things about Tom Petty (after my self-imposed exile from boards!).

I saw Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers both times that he played Dublin: 1992 at The Point and 2012 at the 3 Arena (same building different name). He did not disappoint and neither did they. Tom had such a tight bunch of musicians around him. His lead guitarist Mike Campbell was (is?) superb and must rank as one of the most underrated guitarists in the rock world.

Tom Petty performed with a seemingly natural effortless stage presence. What a legacy of wonderful music that he has left behind as well. Everyone has their favourite. I like many of his songs but if I had to pick one it would have to be American Girl - one of his early breakthrough songs with The Heartbreakers. It was of its time and fitted in well with the new wave scene, even though they were not part of the punk or new wave scene at all. Also, I know I'm not the only one who has compared it with "Last Night" by The Strokes.

The passing of Tom Petty was well covered on the radio, particularly Radio Nova as you might expect. I understand Davin O'Callaghan did a good tribute to him on Nova (which I did not here) and I know Pat James did too (which I did here!). I heard a bit of a Tom Dunne special tribute show on Newstalk. I also understand that one or maybe more music shows on Radio 1 also marked his passing.

Tom Petty was such a cool dude. I remember his frequent phrase on stage in his Florida accent - "Thank you so much!"

R.I.P. to a musical legend and icon.

Advertisement