Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Tom Petty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭RayCon

:eek: Jeez .... R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Jesus, had only very recently become a fan. R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86,918 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Legend... RIP. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

R.I.P. One of my absolute favourite artists that brought me through my late teen years in particular. Still listen at least once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,758 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

So many classic songs :(

Rest assured 'Free Fallin'' will be played at full blast tonight.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

another great gone to soon RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I only just heard the news. I didn't even know he had a heart attack. I'm shocked by the news. RIP to a music legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

He was gigging last week, this came out of the blue https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers-6bd6e20a.html

Only two of the Wilburys left now.

RIP Tom, this doesn't seem real.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,758 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Where to begin? :(

Just from the top of my head...

American Girl
    The Wild One, Forever
    Here Comes My Girl
    Don't Do Me Like That
    Even The Losers
    Change Of Heart
    Straight Into Darkness
    Rebels
    Don't Come Around Here No More
    Southern Accents (the title track)
    The Best Of Everything
    Learning To Fly
    You Wreck Me
    The Last DJ
    Money Becomes King

And the ENTIRE soundtrack of 'She's The One'.

• Advertisement

Into The Great Wide Open
    Running Down A Dream
    Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (with Stevie Nicks)

Of course, as mentioned, he was in The Travelling Wilburys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Still in a critical condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86,918 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP

Dylan said -

"It’s shocking, crushing news,” Bob Dylan told Rolling Stone in an earlier statement. “I thought the world of Tom. He was great performer, full of the light, a friend, and I’ll never forget him.”

Ok, I'm reading that reports of his death have been retracted as not confirmed. Social media has been in a bit of a frenzy over reports of his death, and even radio stations have played tribute. So, I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Huh???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Brilliant songwriter as well as a brilliant performer, long, long career, one of the artists that stand out for me from the MT USA era with vincent hanley, with refugee a big favourite of that show.

His songs stand up too, look up Cash's version of Southern Accents.... perfect.

I see reports of his passing are now being retracted, hopefully that is correct and he pulls through.

Still no harm recalling positive memories of him I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Good solid talent. Will be missed.
    The premature reports go to show the drop in quality Journalism, however his daughter confirmed it now.
    My favourite quote of his is, "New country is just bad pop music with a fiddle".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Went to see him the night before my leaving cert started, about 25 years ago now. Still one of the most memorable concerts I've been to.

Enjoy the great wide open Tom, RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I know it's a couple of weeks now but I wanted to say a few things about Tom Petty (after my self-imposed exile from boards!).

I saw Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers both times that he played Dublin: 1992 at The Point and 2012 at the 3 Arena (same building different name). He did not disappoint and neither did they. Tom had such a tight bunch of musicians around him. His lead guitarist Mike Campbell was (is?) superb and must rank as one of the most underrated guitarists in the rock world.

Tom Petty performed with a seemingly natural effortless stage presence. What a legacy of wonderful music that he has left behind as well. Everyone has their favourite. I like many of his songs but if I had to pick one it would have to be American Girl - one of his early breakthrough songs with The Heartbreakers. It was of its time and fitted in well with the new wave scene, even though they were not part of the punk or new wave scene at all. Also, I know I'm not the only one who has compared it with "Last Night" by The Strokes.

The passing of Tom Petty was well covered on the radio, particularly Radio Nova as you might expect. I understand Davin O'Callaghan did a good tribute to him on Nova (which I did not here) and I know Pat James did too (which I did here!). I heard a bit of a Tom Dunne special tribute show on Newstalk. I also understand that one or maybe more music shows on Radio 1 also marked his passing.

Tom Petty was such a cool dude. I remember his frequent phrase on stage in his Florida accent - "Thank you so much!"

R.I.P. to a musical legend and icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Cause of death revealed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5290895/Family-Tom-Petty-died-accidental-drug-overdose.html

Accidental overdose, apparently. Oxycontin and Fentanyl, painkillers being used to treat a broken hip.

Advertisement