Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tom Petty RIP

• 02-10-2017 9:36pm

Bugger! 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Just awful....can't believe it..

R.I.P Tom..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

another legend gone so young , how sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭OldRio

RIP
    Awful news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hopefully he's with his American Girl. RIP Legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Twas my first ever gig, Full Moon Fever tour '92, been hooked ever since. RIP Tom you beautiful, talented man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

End of the line for Tom. Great songwriter. He'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Not another one - too many gone too soon :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭mojesius

Devastated :(
    One of the best songwriters
    I grew up to his music and had many a drunken croon to his songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Had some great songs. Talented guy.
    RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

Into the great wide open........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Rarely can I say I'm genuinely sad to hear of a singers passing, but Tom Petty....damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Unbelievably it seems the reports of his demise were premature and noth8ng is confirmed yet.

https://twitter.com/lapdhq/status/914956939443920897

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Very sad to hear this. His music was oft a balm to my tortured teenage soul. Always brings a chill out smile to my face whenever I return to it these days. Anyone who counted George Harrison as a close friend must have been a pretty amazing guy.
    R.I.P Tom Petty

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Ughh.. apparently he's still alive! Confusion follows reports of Tom Petty death after heart attack

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/oct/02/rock-star-tom-petty-dies-heart-attack?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

You can stand him up at the gates of hell but he won’t back down!
    Hope the rumours are true and Tom is fighting back from the heart attack.

Oh, went to bed hearing that his death wasn’t confirmed but just heard that he is definitely dead. Tom Petty you legend RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Always thought of him as the man that took the c**t out of country....☺

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

****, I thought he wasn't dead, but had had a stroke yesterday. I rarely care about celeb deaths but I was a fan, I liked his style, I also liked some of the collaborations he did with Dylan, Harrison, Orbison.
    That's 3 of the Wilburys gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

If anyone listens to podcasts, I'd recommend searching for "Sound Opinions". They'd a special on Tom Petty this week, which had the presenters talking about him, playing snippets of his songs with some facts on them, as well as some really excellent interview recordings with the man himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I know it's a couple of weeks now but I wanted to say a few things about Tom Petty (after my self-imposed exile from boards!).

I saw Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers both times that he played Dublin: 1992 at The Point and 2012 at the 3 Arena (same building different name). He did not disappoint and neither did they. Tom had such a tight bunch of musicians around him. His lead guitarist Mike Campbell was (is?) superb and must rank as one of the most underrated guitarists in the rock world.

Tom Petty performed with a seemingly natural effortless stage presence. What a legacy of wonderful music that he has left behind as well. Everyone has their favourite. I like many of his songs but if I had to pick one it would have to be American Girl - one of his early breakthrough songs with The Heartbreakers. It was of its time and fitted in well with the new wave scene, even though they were not part of the punk or new wave scene at all. Also, I know I'm not the only one who has compared it with "Last Night" by The Strokes.

The passing of Tom Petty was well covered on the radio, particularly Radio Nova as you might expect. I understand Davin O'Callaghan did a good tribute to him on Nova (which I did not here) and I know Pat James did too (which I did here!). I heard a bit of a Tom Dunne special tribute show on Newstalk. I also understand that one or maybe more music shows on Radio 1 also marked his passing.

Tom Petty was such a cool dude. I remember his frequent phrase on stage in his Florida accent - "Thank you so much!"

R.I.P. to a musical legend and icon.

Advertisement