Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt Collection Agencies

Options
  • 02-10-2017 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So a debt collection agency finally caught up with me after I left Australia in 2015. I had an unpaid loan of around 2200 euro. It's my first experience with a debt collection agency. I agreed to pay 50 euro a week to the agency which will give me about a year to repay the loan.
    Just wondering do collection agencies really care how much you're paying so long as you are paying some?
    I have an income of around 200 euro a week. I'm reconsidering ringing the agency and telling them I am only willing to pay 20 euros a week. It's less stress for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

So a debt collection agency finally caught up with me after I left Australia in 2015. I had an unpaid loan of around 2200 euro. It's my first experience with a debt collection agency. I agreed to pay 50 euro a week to the agency which will give me about a year to repay the loan.
    Just wondering do collection agencies really care how much you're paying so long as you are paying some?
    I have an income of around 200 euro a week. I'm reconsidering ringing the agency and telling them I am only willing to pay 20 euros a week. It's less stress for me.

An Irish company or an Australian company? To be honest with your income, €20 a week is very reasonable, call them and explain the situation, your somewhat in control as they will not want to go to court for such a low amount. Engage is your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Director Of Finance

It's Australian but there are debt collectors operating for them here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

I would be more worried about loosing your credit rating then being taking to court TBH

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Under what Irish law are they trying to enforce this debt?

Probably too late now though if you have a written agreement with an Irish firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Director Of Finance

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Under what Irish law are they trying to enforce this debt?

Probably too late now though if you have a written agreement with an Irish firm.
    That isn't how they work. They will drive pass your house, harass you on the way to work, everywhere they will find you. They will send you no written notice. They are an absolute nightmare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement