Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing to rent a room scheme

Options
  • 02-10-2017 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for advice from anyone who has done the rent a room scheme.

I have a house rented out for about 5 years now, new tenant moved in a few weeks ago (friend of mine).
    Circumstances have changed for me personally and now I need a place to stay so have talked with new tenant about me moving in and changing lease to rent a room scheme.
    House is 3 bed and he lives alone currently.

Is there any correct way of doing this? Do we cancel the least and do up a rent a room contract? Do I need to talk with revenue first?
    Online it seems like there's no type of official contract.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Do you currently have another location in Ireland as your principle residence?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Hi all,

Looking for advice from anyone who has done the rent a room scheme.

I have a house rented out for about 5 years now, new tenant moved in a few weeks ago (friend of mine).
    Circumstances have changed for me personally and now I need a place to stay so have talked with new tenant about me moving in and changing lease to rent a room scheme.
    House is 3 bed and he lives alone currently.

Is there any correct way of doing this? Do we cancel the least and do up a rent a room contract? Do I need to talk with revenue first?
    Online it seems like there's no type of official contract.

Thanks

Send him the required notice to quit.
    Then when that date passes acknowledge that he has moved out and invite him to move in under license by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The sequence should be:
    1. Issue a notice of termination in line with the RTA. You can agree shorter notice periods with your tenant.
    2. You move in after notice period elapses.
    3. You offer to rent a room to your friend/former tenant.

There is no need for a written agreement, the law recognises them as a licensee staying by your leave. Writing additional terms can confer additional rights to them but you may want to do something small to confirm the transition to licensee, amount of rent to pay, notice period, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

commited wrote: »

Yes but that will change soon unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

__..__ wrote:
    Send him the required notice to quit. Then when that date passes acknowledge that he has moved out and invite him to move in under license by email.

Make sure to tell him first that this is the plan otherwise you might not have a friend for long.

It will suit him because it is cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Make sure to tell him first that this is the plan otherwise you might not have a friend for long.

It will suit him because it is cheaper.

Now that would be funny if he forgot to tell him what the plan was alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Yes but that will change soon unfortunately

The house does not have to be your only residence to avail of the rent a room scheme. It has to be your "main" residence which is not difficult to satisfy.

Advertisement