Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audi Mechanic in Wexford

• 03-10-2017 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic who knows there stuff with Audis?

I am having some suspension trouble with a 2013 A5 that the main dealer cannot seem to sort.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

A5Wex wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic who knows there stuff with Audis?

I am having some suspension trouble with a 2013 A5 that the main dealer cannot seem to sort.

Thanks for any help!

Suspension problems are rare and are often the result of collision or other damage, your car is quite new and is unlikely to be suffering wear and tear.
    If you've had the car from new and followed the service schedule then I think I'd be having a chat with VW head office if one of their representatives can't sort a problem with one of their vehicles. They do enough spouting about the reliability and serviceability of their cars and the quality of their dealership.

If the car is second hand then all bets are off, it could have been crashed and repaired and there could be stress fractures or twists that the best diagnostic technicians and equipment will never find and you'd only be throwing good money after bad trying to sort it. If this is the case, the solution could prove very costly so I think I'd be checking the car's history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 A5Wex

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Suspension problems are rare and are often the result of collision or other damage, your car is quite new and is unlikely to be suffering wear and tear.
    If you've had the car from new and followed the service schedule then I think I'd be having a chat with VW head office if one of their representatives can't sort a problem with one of their vehicles. They do enough spouting about the reliability and serviceability of their cars and the quality of their dealership.

If the car is second hand then all bets are off, it could have been crashed and repaired and there could be stress fractures or twists that the best diagnostic technicians and equipment will never find and you'd only be throwing good money after bad trying to sort it. If this is the case, the solution could prove very costly so I think I'd be checking the car's history.

It's second hand but I know the issue arose when I hit a pothole.

Droplinks and all control arms have been replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

A5Wex wrote: »
    It's second hand but I know the issue arose when I hit a pothole.

Droplinks and all control arms have been replaced.

To be honest, I'm very surprised that your local VW/Audi dealer can't sort that as the damage is going to be localised. Was there damage to wheel/tyre, was it a severe impact at high speed? Was there any indication that something may have been wrong before this happened? How does the problem manifest itself?
    Some of the Audi steering and suspension geometry is very complicated, involving magnetics and all sorts of weird and wonderful things but should not be beyond the capabilities of an appointed dealer.
    You have obviously spent a considerable amount of money already on repairs so probably better to stick with that dealer and also enlist the help of VW/Audi in an effort to pressurise him to try a bit harder, they value their image highly. Make a fuss, they don't like that.
    I think taking it to another mechanic at this stage is only going to result in them covering the same ground without the required equipment, and costing you more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 A5Wex

Marhay, what you saying makes sense.

It all started after hitting a rough patch of road, nothing most cars would have an issue with but with the S Line suspension it was very rough, I hit one extremely bad part and decided to almost stop, at this point I noticed the noise as I was just coasting.

The noise itself comes through from the engine bay/wheel arch into the driver's side, sounding like the momentary clacking of hard plastic. It sounds like it is somewhere low down, maybe just in front or alongside the inside of the wheel arch, though it is impossible to tell exactly when you can't see!

It's almost as if a plastic disc is flapping up and down the strut when going over rumbly areas of road. Oddly enough the noise isn't as noticeable or reproducable over rougher/est bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Try Howlett Auto Developments, near Clonroche. Liam there should be able to help you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement