Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird noise at 3am

Options
  • 03-10-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Anyone in cork hear a loud droning noise outside at 3 last night? Like the start of a war alarm but all the same tone and went on for 15 mins. Woke me up it was so loud and no one seems to have heard it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Kerry folk at the walls again.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Where are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 abnr

I heard something like this about a week, week and a half ago around Jacobs Island, probably around 1-2 am, but have no clue what it was and didn't found anyone that had heard it, although to be honest I didn't went around asking :)
    At the time I thought it might have been like a fog siren from a ship... But a war alarm describes it also...
    It actually went on for a bit at regular intervals then stopped for maybe 20-30 mins then again for a while at regular intervals.
    It was around the second time I tried to figure out what it was (while still waking up) but couldn't see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mok

I'm not far from the airport so thought it might be coming from there, but this was so loud I felt the whole city would have heard it. It didn't sound like a plane or helicopter though and I thought the airport shuts down at night.

Interesting you heard it too. A for horn would describe what I heard also. I'm gonna have to set my alarm tonight to see if it happens again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭thomil

They're dredging the port at the moment, could it have been the foghorn of that big dredger, the Volvox Olympia? She was active in the city docks around 2.30 - 3.30 last night according to her track at Marinetraffic.com

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Mok

Oh that's good to know. It must be that!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Mok wrote: »
    Anyone in cork hear a loud droning noise outside at 3 last night? Like the start of a war alarm but all the same tone and went on for 15 mins. Woke me up it was so loud and no one seems to have heard it.

I heard it . I thought it eerily sounded like the automatic rifle I had heard earlier on a news clip .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I usually notice weird sounds after consuming large quantities of Murphys or Beamish.

Advertisement