Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomond Bridge Accident

• 03-10-2017 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Someone knocked down or off their bike this morning.

Ambulance and Gardai at the scene.

Hope they are alright.

Maybe go a different route if you usually go this way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

kfrp wrote: »
    Someone knocked down or off their bike this morning.

Ambulance and Gardai at the scene.

Hope they are alright.

Maybe go a different route if you usually go this way

It was clear again a half hour ago and they were putting the bike into a Garda car.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

It was clear again a half hour ago and they were putting the bike into a Garda car.

Hopefully the person is ok, they were covered in a space blanket when I saw them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I hope all those involved are okay. The three bridges are fairly treacherous for cyclists. You really have to have your wits about you when cycling on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Most of the bridges around the city are treacherous and not just the 3 main ones , id love to see something like the boardwalks added too all the bridges as a walk way around them so it gives a nice safe walking /cycling path over most. some bridges are very narrow for traffic especially when you add in bikes and pedestrian stuff .,corbally(westbury) sarsfield bridge and thomond bridge are the worst of them,
    The others are a bit wider or dont have the same gutters /gulleys and high paths so not as bad

geotrig wrote: »
    Most of the bridges around the city are treacherous and not just the 3 main ones , id love to see something like the boardwalks added too all the bridges as a walk way around them so it gives a nice safe walking /cycling path over most. some bridges are very narrow for traffic especially when you add in bikes and pedestrian stuff .,corbally(westbury) sarsfield bridge and thomond bridge are the worst of them,
    The others are a bit wider or dont have the same gutters /gulleys and high paths so not as bad

+1 to all of this. I cycle over Sarsfield bridge frequently and cyclists pretty much have two options on it. To dismount and walk on the footpath or to cycle in the middle of the road to avoid being squashed to the kerb by cars and buses. I see lots of cyclists using this bridge everyday so there is a real need to make this entry route to the city centre safer for cyclists. We desperately need a decent cycling campaigning group in Limerick to advocate for this infrastructure. Would also be good to see Limerick Smarter Travel collect some stats on this. I'm not sure what their role is anymore. They appear to have very little clout when it comes to actual implementation with LCCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

panda100 wrote: »
    We desperately need a decent cycling campaigning group in Limerick to advocate for this infrastructure.

Limerick Cycling Campaign was set up a few months ago for this very purpose. They're active on Twitter and Facebook.

I'm not a fan of social media 'campaign' groups. I think genuine engagement with other cyclists and action together as a cycling community are core to an effective advocacy group. If there are any Limerick cyclists out there willing to connect then send me a PM :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

panda100 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of social media 'campaign' groups. I think genuine engagement with other cyclists and action together as a cycling community are core to an effective advocacy group. If there are any Limerick cyclists out there willing to connect then send me a PM :)

I signed up for the Coke Zero bikes recently and got my card in the post on Monday. I used to bring my own bike into town (even for nights out) but since I got my new one I'm reluctant to take the risk with it. I did take it out for a 75km spin on Sunday though. :)

I signed up for the Coke Zero bikes recently and got my card in the post on Monday. I used to bring my own bike into town (even for nights out) but since I got my new one I'm reluctant to take the risk with it. I did take it out for a 75km spin on Sunday though. :)

Great Spin IO!Where did you go? Let us know how you get on with the Coke Zero bikes. I've started using them again a lot recently and forgotten how handy they can be!

Advertisement