Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled flight - what can I claim?

Options
  • 03-10-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was due to fly from Providence Rhode Island to Dublin with Norwegian Air Saturday night arriving into Dublin @ 8am Sunday morning.

Friday afternoon I got a text from Norwegian to say the flight was cancelled due to "lack of crew" so had to re-book on their Sunday night flight which got me in yesterday morning at 9am and I finally exited the airport at 10:15 as there was a long delay waiting for the bags to be delivered to the Carousel.

I checked on https://www.aviationreg.ie/air-passenger-rights/cancellation.209.html which states the following:

"Compensation.

Compensation in the event of a cancellation depends on the distance of the flight and the reason for the cancellation.

If an airline can prove that the cancellation was caused by an extraordinary circumstance which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures were taken no compensation is payable.

As previously stated, the distance of a flight determines the amount of compensation due.

If the flight distance is:

1500km or less the amount payable is €250
    1500km – 3500km and all EU flights over 3500km the amount payable is €400
    3500km or more the amount payable is €600.
    If an airline can offer rerouting to the final destination that does not exceed:

two hours for flights of less than 1500km;
    three hours for flights between 1500km and 3500km; and
    four hours for flights over 3500km
    the compensation will be reduced by 50%.

It is very important to note that compensation is distinct from and separate to the notion of reimbursement of expenses and/ or the refund of the cost of an unused flight ticket.
    "

Given my flight was cancelled due to poor resourcing by the airline, it was over 4,000 km's and was +/- 7 hours in total it seems I can claim €600 compensation if I am reading the information correctly. Can anyone here with experience comment?

Also, whilst I was stranded for 24 hours I incurred hotel and subsistence costs totalling $200 and I missed a days work yesterday which I have to take as annual leave. Can I claim for the hotel/subsistence costs as well as a day's wages in addition to the €600 compensation or not?

As an aside I heard from several people that Norwegian frequently cancel Saturday flights and consolidate them with the Sunday flight as the Saturday flights tend to have low passenger numbers. That may or may not be true but it does seem to square with the "lack of crew" excuse that was given. I wonder is there any way to find out how frequently Norwegian cancel Saturday night flights on a particular route?

Advertisement