Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2018 - Mod note in post #1

• 03-10-2017 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

According to this link it may be interesting, with the ‘old reliables’ being targeted as usual such as petrol, diesel,cigarettes and alcohol.

The IMF are still poking their noses in it seems.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/budget-2018-know-far.html

Mod note:

This thread has been very good for the most part, but has descended into a type of debate where people don't address each others points so much as say "some people believe X". This is disruptive to discussion as it is generalising, vague and very often sets up straw man arguments. As per the charter, if you disagree with another person's post, then dispute the post. Not the poster and certainly don't make generalisations about all other posters or segments of other posters.

Other than that, I'd like to say thanks to everyone for creating one of the few large threads in Politics that has had almost no reported posts or problems. Leaves me free to think about spending my extra €200 on sunbeds and cans of coke etc!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

I think the 9% rate on the hospitality sector needs to be raised if not scrapped, personally I have seen no benefit to me as a consumer and also the sector is fighting to keep staff pay rates down, they bitched about the minimum wage going up a few bob saying they'd have to increase prices....if they want a low vat rate, let them prove that they are passing it on to the customer, or the staff, not pocketing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

nlrkjos wrote: »
    I think the 9% rate on the hospitality sector needs to be raised if not scrapped, personally I have seen no benefit to me as a consumer and also the sector is fighting to keep staff pay rates down, they bitched about the minimum wage going up a few bob saying they'd have to increase prices....if they want a low vat rate, let them prove that they are passing it on to the customer, or the staff, not pocketing it.

The 8% VAT rate was only supposed to be a temporary measure, the aim of it worked.

As for pay and staff rates, if they go up, so does the cost of everything else.

Public transport fare increases look likely also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Any rumours about alcohol excise going up a huge amount, rather than trying to do this minimum pricing?

The minimum pricing is said to be allowed by EU law only if they can prove it cannot be done via normal taxation. I cannot see how anybody could even think of arguing it cannot be done via taxation. Varadkars reported comments about it were laughable. All they have to do is ban below cost selling and increase excise so the cheapest can is now at the minimum price they require. But that would be a huge increase and hit their publican buddies.

With min pricing if a €1 can goes to €2, the supermarket get 81cent more profit, the government get a mere 19cent, as the only extra revenue is VAT. It is crazy not to do it via excise.

In another thread I worked out that a man who drinks the max safe guideline of 17 units per week will pay €548.96 extra per year if he drinks tesco beer.

This is 35 times higher than what ministers & senators are telling people the average would be
    People who drink alcohol purchased in supermarkets and consume it within the safe limits will pay 30 cent a week more, which is €15.70 over a full year, with minimum unit pricing

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/seanad2015121700002
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/sendebates/?id=2015-12-17a.93

From reading through the tabloids today i've seen something about welfare payments in particular, it seems lihe they will rise by more than €5 per week which would take the basic welfare rate close to or over €200 per week, is this the highest in Europe? as in a flat rate payment?

I know Germany have the highest overall but that is based on previous incomes from employment on a sliding scale.

Cigarettes will hit about €10.50/€11 per packet.

Alcohol will most likely see an increase in excise.

I full expect diesel will be brought into line with petrol.

In relation to electric vehicles, i think the incentive to switch to them will become more attractive which is a bummer for me as i am only 5 months into a 5 year finance agreement.

The key area for me like many though is the health service and the state it is in.

My child needs O.T & ASD appointments, both are 2 & 3 years away respectively, they advised me to go privately for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

From reading through the tabloids today i've seen something about welfare payments in particular, it seems lihe they will rise by more than €5 per week which would take the basic welfare rate close to or over €200 per week, is this the highest in Europe? as in a flat rate payment?

I know Germany have the highest overall but that is based on previous incomes from employment on a sliding scale.

Cigarettes will hit about €10.50/€11 per packet.

Alcohol will most likely see an increase in excise.

I full expect diesel will be brought into line with petrol.

In relation to electric vehicles, i think the incentive to switch to them will become more attractive which is a bummer for me as i am only 5 months into a 5 year finance agreement.

The key area for me like many though is the health service and the state it is in.

My child needs O.T & ASD appointments, both are 2 & 3 years away respectively, they advised me to go privately for them.

Cigarettes are already 11.50 a pack.

With the arse falling out of sterling any further increase in excise on alcohol will send folk and their money scurrying over the border.

• Advertisement

Cigarettes are already 11.50 a pack.

With the arse falling out of sterling any further increase in excise on alcohol will send folk and their money scurrying over the border.

Which ones are that price?

The ones the wife smokes are €9.60

It’s nearing that time for cross border shopping anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Which ones are that price?

The ones the wife smokes are €9.60

It’s nearing that time for cross border shopping anyway.

Marlboro lights went to 11.30 last budget, distributors added another 20c a few months ago to bring it to a round 11.50.

Marlboro lights went to 11.30 last budget, distributors added another 20c a few months ago to bring it to a round 11.50.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

They have very little money to give away this time, I expect maybe a very minor reduction in USC that has no material impact on take home pay, and also the old reliables to pay for it, so Cigarettes, Diesel now we know its not cleaner than petrol, and perhaps as mentioned in this thread some sort of minimum alcohol pricing tax done via excise duty.

Whatever they give with the one hand they'll take with the other, the sugar tax is a banker to come in, just how much it will be though is another thing.

• Advertisement

Having read this article in the Examiner it appears everything except Housing,Social housing and welfare are sorted.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/sticking-points-remain-as-budget-haggling-goes-to-11th-hour-809051.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Talk of all welfare goimg up by e5. Even though ff of all people say they don't see dole increases as essential. It's f**kikg fg saying it should apply across the board! Prescription chargers dropped from 2 down to e1.50. Its pathetic. None of that should be messed with. People on the dole will see a bigger increase with e5 a week than someone on 35k will in a USC cut!!! 450,000,000 increase in welfare budget at a time not far away from full employment!!!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Talk of all welfare goimg up by e5. Even though ff of all people say they don't see dole increases as essential. It's f**kikg fg saying it should apply across the board! Prescription chargers dropped from 2 down to e1.50. Its pathetic. None of that should be messed with. People on the dole will see a bigger increase with e5 a week than someone on 35k will in a USC cut!!! 450,000,000 increase in welfare budget at a time not far away from full employment!!!

I'd prefer to see no welfare increases other than Carer's, disabled etc.

Use the rest of the money to wipe out the prescription charge.

As you rightly say, someone on 35k a year will be probably worse off than someone on welfare when you factor in the extra's with the allowances.

The biggest laugh of all is the christmas bonus.

Those who are down on their luck and trying to get back up, i think no one will begrudge them anything.

But not being able to qualify for the bonus unless you are on certain benefits over 12 months is only an incentive to stay on it.

I'd be interested in seeing how it will all pan out once announced.

Is child benefit also going up?

I full expect diesel will be brought into line with petrol.................

A €0.15/litre ish difference currently ........... not a hope it will be brought into line in a single budget.

Augeo wrote: »
    A €0.15/litre ish difference currently ........... not a hope it will be brought into line in a single budget.

Over the course of about 3 budgets i'd say.

I remember well when the different in the 2 fuels was the reverse, are we heading back to those days?

Petrol making a comeback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Diesel impact would be massive on the 2nd hand market out there, surely wipe 1000's off the sticker prices. If its not cleaner and more efficient why should it be taxed cheaper?

Maybe not higher it for haulage or something to ease that burden.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Diesel impact would be massive on the 2nd hand market out there, surely wipe 1000's off the sticker prices. If its not cleaner and more efficient why should it be taxed cheaper?

It was reduced in Budget 2016.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/motor-tax-for-commercial-vehicles-to-be-significantly-cut-1.2389909

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,095 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's all a lot of hot air about very little in the end.

We are too obsessed with the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

JoeyJJ wrote: »

They should ride the **** out of diesel. Bring back the cc system.

kona wrote: »

My own motor is only €130 P/A cheaper than the CC based system.

My previous car though was €314 cheaper than its 2007 counterpart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Use the rest of the money to wipe out the prescription charge.

There should always be a prescription charge to offset frivolous usage.
    JoeyJJ wrote:

Regardless of price differential, diesel will give better mpg.
    kona wrote:

I hardly ever drive my 10 year old car but am ludicrously penalised in motor tax based on cc. Tax fuel instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There should always be a prescription charge to offset frivolous usage.

Just on this, I've tended to agree with the principle but does this not basically mean that doctors are making frivolous prescriptions and we are then relying on sick lay people to make decisions on which medicine they really need and which the doctor is being frivolous with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

That's an important one.

The €50 one will be impossible to recoup from lifers.

The only legislation i'm aware of for that is welfare overpayments, they can take upto 15% without your consent.

In theory the suggestion should work,again it's the lefties who will oppose it.

Be handier to just not increase job seekers allowance.

Augeo wrote: »
    Be handier to just not increase job seekers allowance.

Jobseekers at almost €200 a week (again).

I can't think of any other E.U country where we have an across the board rate and not that of a sliding scale.

As was mentioned elsewhere recently, if you pay into the pot for over 50 years of work you still get the same as someone who never worked.

The whole public sector needs reform, cut out the rot (corrupt political parties).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I just wrote to Josepha Madigan, received an email back an hour or so later in fairness to her or whoever wrote it, absolute fob off of an email as I expected and as I am used too. they have identified it as problematic, but youd be wrong if you expected them to put the money where their mouth is :rolleyes:

my email
    Dear Ms Madigan. I live in your constituency and am a previous FG voter. The usual kite flying in the media about the budget has been in swing for weeks. Ill get straight to my primary point though and I would appreciate a response on this. Last year there was an across the board €5 increase in welfare, this is more than someone earning over €33,800 received in a weekly USC cut ( I dont have the exact figure, but I think its roughly €37-38,000 or thereabouts) This year it appears we are in for more of the same. Makes a total mockery of our Taoiseach with his rewarding those who get up early etc. We keep on hearing how great things are, how rosy they are , near full employment etc. So why is dole being increased, offering nothing but more incentives for those on it to stay on it and increasing the welfare trap? Are FG scared of losing the welfare vote? because I wasnt actually aware that large cohorts of the unemployed vote FG... Also allegedly FF dont see the need to raise the dole, this is a FG notion. Perhaps this time round, we could focus on using the money to pay down debt, spend it on infrastructure like the Metro north, Dublin underground, schemes that would actually massively improve the quality of life here in Dublin and move us away from the appalling infrastructure we have. And how about pay back time for those working hard, high earners in particular who are just seen as some endless cash cows to be abused. There is concern about LPT being increased, why isnt there a shift in taxation to other areas, to avoid the ridiculous and economically damaging situation we have with the marginal rate now?

Thank you for your email.

You raise a number of important concerns regarding the upcoming budget.

Our high marginal tax rate is an issue of major concern that I have highlighted on a number of occasions. I am pleased that both an Taoiseach and Minister Donohoe have identified it as an issue that needs to be addressed and I hope to see some movement on marginal tax rates in tomorrow's budget.

The Government has also been clear that investment in infrastructure will be the single major priority in this budget and this budget will represent the first time in ten years that we reach a close to balanced budget. It should also be noted that the Government has taken significant measures already this year to pay down our debt and make our sovereign debt more sustainable for the long term.

I hope that my answers have been of some assistance. Please do get in touch if you have any further questions or if I can assist you with anything.

Best wishes,
    Josepha Madigan TD

• Advertisement

I just wrote to Josepha Madigan, received an email back an hour or so later in fairness to her or whoever wrote it, absolute fob off of an email as I expected and as I am used too. they have identified it as problematic, but youd be wrong if you expected them to put the money where their mouth is :rolleyes:

my email

I know she's a solicitor but in what area?

Bloody insolvency :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Jobseekers at almost €200 a week (again).

I can't think of any other E.U country where we have an across the board rate and not that of a sliding scale.

As was mentioned elsewhere recently, if you pay into the pot for over 50 years of work you still get the same as someone who never worked.

The whole public sector needs reform, cut out the rot (corrupt political parties).

Ehe Netherlands 1100 a month and on top of that a couple of extra money for rent health and free from taxes ,bin charges and other local gov charges plus they get holyday money an extra month (1100 eu) in may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Prescription chargers dropped from 2 down to e1.50.

I have a chronic illness, don't qualify for medical/long term illnesses card. I've to pay €144 a month for prescriptions with the drugs payment card. When I was first diagnosed (maybe 8 years ago) it was €100 a month. I'm a middle earner and pay my taxes. I wish my prescription charge would be dropped.

Yes.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

http://www.independent.ie/business/budget/exclusive-blow-for-struggling-homeowners-as-mortgage-interest-relief-to-be-cut-in-budget-36213202.html

TRS to be reduced by 25% a year for the next 3 years, I know it was gong to be scrapped bit still a blow for people that are still struggling to pay there mortgage.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

In that case you now pay €115.20 rather than €80 before.

Sure. But my point still stands. If the prescription charge for medical card holders is being decreased, the charge for drugs payments scheme card holders should be dropped too since they're the ones who are really taking the hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Freindly

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/budget-2018-main-points-what-we-know-so-far-1.3250539

No increases in diesel and petrol according to this. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mr Reactionary

I have a chronic illness, don't qualify for medical/long term illnesses card. I've to pay €144 a month for prescriptions with the drugs payment card. When I was first diagnosed (maybe 8 years ago) it was €100 a month. I'm a middle earner and pay my taxes. I wish my prescription charge would be dropped.

Reduced to 134 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I see David Cullinane is continuing Sinn Féin’s policy of contempt for the rules of the Dail, and posting the contents of his budget booklet on twitter before it’s been officially annnounced.

https://twitter.com/davidcullinane/status/917728389259251712

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cigarettes up 50c to €12

Sugar Tax to come in from April - 30 cent per litre charge on all drinks with over 8 grams of sugar per 100 ml.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Freindly

blackwhite wrote: »
    I see David Cullinane is continuing Sinn Féin’s policy of contempt for the rules of the Dail, and posting the contents of his budget booklet on twitter before it’s been officially annnounced.

This is the closest Sinn Fein will ever get to announcing a budget in the Dail Eireann chamber ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Freindly wrote: »
    This is the closest Sinn Fein will ever get to announcing a budget in the Dail Eireann chamber ever.

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭listermint

blackwhite wrote: »

Tbh that would not be high on my list of concerns.

Is it yours? im more concerned about the content.

why are you not ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Christmas bonus, nice. I look forward to my 0% Christmas bonus after working my ass off all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

doylefe wrote: »
    Christmas bonus, nice. I look forward to my 0% Christmas bonus after working my ass off all year.

Don't worry.. we're supposed to get a fiver a week as well I think.. but I fully expect that to be eaten by other costs.

Here we go now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

doylefe wrote: »

Add that to the 193 per week for sitting on yer hole and your laughing it seems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

750 euro increase on the cut off for the higher rate of tax...joke. Should be increased by 10-20k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Cigarettes up 50c to €12

Sugar Tax to come in from April - 30 cent per litre charge on all drinks with over 8 grams of sugar per 100 ml.

Just checked my Monster Energy drink, 0% sugar. Leo can **** off gouging elsewhere!

*Ironically on my smokes :'(

• Advertisement
Advertisement