Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2018 - Mod note in post #1

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

lawred2 wrote: »
    Tax all income including welfare.

No tax credits for anyone. Everyone pays something. No vote buying moves where people are 'taken out of the tax net'..

What could be wrong with a system where every single person pays in something according to their means? The USC was a step in the right direction but even that has been hollowed out after only a few years.

A little bit extra from everyone would fund the exchequer in the future much better than the meagre savings to be had from means testing benefits for a small subset of the population. (not to say anything of the administrative cost)

USC did appear to be the most progressive way forward but it now appears that there is a rush to get rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,488 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Latest opinion poll has FG's lead cut to 4% from 8%.
    In my opinion that is due to Paschal's poor Budget where he gave the working man very little. I have heard a lot of angry comments from workers since last Tuesday.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2017/1014/912408-opinion-poll-stimes/

A bad OG from Paschal and FG especially after Varadkar's statement about looking after the workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

In my opinion that is due to Paschal's poor Budget where he gave the working man very little. I have heard a lot of angry comments from workers since last Tuesday.

A bad OG from Paschal and FG especially after Varadkar's statement about looking after the workers.

Its a worry if true.

We are going to need a solid tax base in the medium term with demographics and the worry over the sustainability of the CT receipts.

There isn't much scope for tax reductions over and above those made in the most recent budget.

Which makes the fivers for everyone even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd like to see a Dublin city tax paid by all workers in Dublin.. €1 a week from everyone working in Dublin city and county regardless of income levels. Solely for the purposes of funding infrastructure in Dublin.

No need for that, just cut a portion of the massive wealth transfer from Dublin to the regions from central taxation & LPT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Donal55 wrote: »
    USC did appear to be the most progressive way forward but it now appears that there is a rush to get rid of it.

"Progressive taxation". Hate that term so much. You can see how it was named deliberately to make it sound like a really positive thing.

Flat tax across the board would be so much simpler and cheaper and would encourage people to work hard and try to better themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Donal55 wrote: »
    I agree with you 100%. However there are those who wpuld argue that people who earn €100k also pay taxes on that €100k and so in fairness should get something back in return.

I work with a woman who is married to a barrister. €250k gross plus is their annual income. Her 3 kids also qualify for the doctors only medical card as they are all under 6.

The whole system is unsustainable.

Did the woman actually tell you what her husband earns , eugh

Anyway with three kids living in Dublin and if she is working childcare costs , they won’t be as well off as you think that’s for sure

I work with a Dublin couple who would gross that, they are both consultants so they'd not be getting full time job benefits but as Cyrus points out the figure makes them sound much wealthier than they are. It's a fantastic income no doubt but I'd consider them as entitled to children's allowance & whatever else they get as anyone else. More so really considering what they pay into the pot.

Flat tax across the board would be so much simpler and cheaper and would encourage people to work hard and try to better themselves.

Replace the 20 & 40% rates with a single flatrate?
    Be interesting to see could that be implemented while maintaining state tax take & not penalising low income folk, middle income folk or high income folk compared to the current set up.
    I'm struggling to see how it could work in the Robin Hood style system the average Joe likes & expects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

No need for that, just cut a portion of the massive wealth transfer from Dublin to the regions from central taxation & LPT.

Or just readjust the LPT for everyone. Id lay a bet that my mother pays more on her D12 2-bed semi than the folk around me in the midlands with their 5 bed homes on an acre of land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Augeo wrote: »
    Be interesting to see could that be implemented while maintaining state tax take & not penalising low income folk, middle income folk or high income folk compared to the current set up.
    I'm struggling to see how it could work in the Robin Hood style system the average Joe likes & expects.

It's been done in eastern Europe and Russia quite successfully.

It's not a Robin Hood system when it is rob from the people who are struggling in the middle to give to the poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Poll was conducted before the Budget.
    The poll, based on face to face interviews with over 900 voters was conducted between 2 October and 10 October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Poll was conducted before the Budget.

I look forward to the next poll to gauge feedback on the budget and then between January 1st & March 31st 2018 when the increases kick in.

That's if an election isn't called by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Augeo wrote: »

It should provide an incentive for people to strive to earn more and progress more but we will never see it in Ireland as it would mean an increased tax take on the average industrial wage

Advertisement