Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2018 - Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

pilly wrote: »
    What was he ranting about?

Doesn't matter. No one was there to listen to it.

The problem with this country

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Both the journal and EY budget 2018 calculator for 2018 seem to indicate that married dual income jointly assessed couples will not see an increase to their high rate tax band.. That can't be right can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

ricero wrote: »
    Some rant by boyd barrett here

Mick Wallace so incensed he cant form sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Lackey wrote: »
    Mick Wallace so incensed he cant form sentences.

He doesn't need to be incensed for that to happen. Possibly the most incoherent person ever elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think this says it all!

Jobseekers: + €260 PY
    20K Worker: + €36.81
    30K worker: + €61.87
    40K worker: + €236.87
    50K worker: + €261.87
    60K worker: + €286.87
    70K+ worker: + €311.87
    with an increase in the price of the lecky of 7.50 per month due in febuary, there will be little of the above left, never mind any increase in the cost of living items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Donal55 wrote: »
    No relief for those who are renting accomodation. Tax reliefs are afforded for mortfages, pensions, health , and other payments and yet possibly the largest expense for an ever increasing number of people does not merit even a mention.

that's because it does nothing but push rent even higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,320 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Seen a couple of SF and alphabet soup dublin councilors asking where their money for social housing and mental health services is after choosing to cut their LPT which funds these by 15%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

VinLieger wrote: »
    Seen a couple of SF and alphabet soup dublin councilors asking where their money for social housing and mental health services is after choosing to cut their LPT which funds these by 15%

They should be called out repeatedly and vocally for that sort of populist nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

lawred2 wrote: »
    Both the journal and EY budget 2018 calculator for 2018 seem to indicate that married dual income jointly assessed couples will not see an increase to their high rate tax band.. That can't be right can it?
    Noticed the same from PWC calculator, need to check if better of on single assessment

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As usual sweet feck all for the working tax payer. The people who keep the country going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Tony EH wrote:
    I, too, know people who are surviving on social welfare and your little scenario doesn't fit and if it did, the whole bloody country would go on the dole and stay there.

Except they wouldn't because most people take personal responsibility for their lives and want to achieve in life unlike the scoungers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This one from SIPTU was on The Last Word saying there should be no tax cuts for workers, it should be used for services.

But it's all right to give dolers an extra fiver for sitting at home doing nothing, she had no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Does the €750 increase to the point at which the higher rate of tax kicks in, only apply to single earners? Has the level also been increased for married couples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

This one from SIPTU was on The Last Word saying there should be no tax cuts for workers, it should be used for services.
    In fairness, they have plenty of strikes to jack up their members pay and then try for no tax cuts that would benefit everyone but rather ask for the money to be put towards services( i.e .that employ their members ), win win
    DerryRed wrote: »
    Has the level also been increased for married couples?
    no, according to online calculators, looks like singles only.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

lmimmfn wrote: »
    In fairness, they have plenty of strikes to jack up their members pay and then try for no tax cuts that would benefit everyone but rather ask for the money to be put towards services( i.e .that employ their members ), win win

no, according to online calculators, looks like singles only.

You get punished in this country for being married, what a difference 50 years makes when it was the reverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You get punished in this country for being married, what a difference 50 years makes when it was the reverse.

Disagree there I'm afraid. Everything in this country is pretty skewed towards married couples.. nothing has changed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Every budget I think " maybe next year I'll work at home, in my own country" after every budget i think " feck 'em they don't care about the likes of me, who work for a living".... so another year of three weeks away, three home, paying tax to a country I don't live in because my own just don't give a FCK !!!!

You get penalised more for working.
    Nothing for the middle income taxpayer who pays for everything.
    Now what was Varadkar saying a few weeks ago about the working man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

Hi, I thought they were going to implement a new working family payment, what happened to that,anyone

• Advertisement

You get penalised more for working.
    Nothing for the middle income taxpayer who pays for everything.
    Now what was Varadkar saying a few weeks ago about the working man?

As with everything Vardakar, it sounds good in the media but there's no substance behind it.

Today's budget is an insult to the working man (and woman!).

nlrkjos wrote: »
    Every budget I think " maybe next year I'll work at home, in my own country" after every budget i think " feck 'em they don't care about the likes of me, who work for a living".... so another year of three weeks away, three home, paying tax to a country I don't live in because my own just don't give a FCK !!!!

Personally if I wasn't tied to this country for family reasons, I'd long since have gone elsewhere.

Not aimed at you specifically, but I don't see the logic of people who give up good lives elsewhere to come home and sit on the dole, or be shafted by our high cost, low value economy over and over again, while those making the decisions are thoroughly insulated from the effects by the "nice little earner" that is the establishment in this country. Only other group to benefit are the ones who pay no tax at all!

By all means come home for holidays (but bring your wallet!) but if someone has gotten out and done well abroad, IMO they'd be mad to come back to live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Personally if I wasn't tied to this country for family reasons, I'd long since have gone elsewhere.

Not aimed at you specifically, but I don't see the logic of people who give up good lives elsewhere to come home and sit on the dole, or be shafted by our high cost, low value economy over and over again, while those making the decisions are thoroughly insulated from the effects by the "nice little earner" that is the establishment in this country. Only other group to benefit are the ones who pay no tax at all!

By all means come home for holidays (but bring your wallet!) but if someone has gotten out and done well abroad, IMO they'd be mad to come back to live here.

There are loads of 'mad' people so in this country. Those that choose to stay here and those that come from abroad and stay how can so many be so stupid?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    There are loads of 'mad' people so in this country. Those that choose to stay here and those that come from abroad and stay how can so many be so stupid?

A lot of Irish people barely leave home, never mind the country.

As for other coming in - true.. but only for employment prospects and will go again for the most part when those dry up, or when they realise how little value they get back for their taxes. I have a guy on the team in work who is applying for jobs in the UK and elsewhere because he's sick of seeing so much of his income go on things like rent, the poor public transport, high costs of everything etc. He's not the only one.

I do hate this defensive reaction ye get whenever someone points out that while this country certainly isn't the worst place to live, it's far from the best either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I live in Ireland,but my job takes me away from home and family. I work bloody hard in a well paid but difficult job (at sea) if I was tax paying in Ireland my take home pay would be halved, still good pay but our standard of living would drop...that I am not prepared to take, for the sake of subsidizing state handouts ( TD's pay and pensions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Prime Time should be interesting later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can anyone tell me if a person who is working on below the cut off point for higher tax will be better off than a person on the dole now?

I don't think so. But I am open to correction.

And we have practically reached full employment now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭Allinall

Road-Hog wrote: »

Pretty insulting to a huge group of people - me included.

I live, work and socialize in Ireland and
    don't consider myself to be stupid in any way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

lol at those complaining about the 5 euro increase. If you think the welfare system is so good in this country, why don't you just give up your job and sign on then ? You'll have all the so called freebies that you are cribbing about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

What?! If everybody signs onto the dole who do you think will pay for that? Like if nobody is working how is that funded?!

You see people don't expect the government to fund their entire adult life so they educate themselves and get on with it. Scoungers just make their way up to the post office every week and for some reason that has merited an extra 5 euro a month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Can anyone tell me if a person who is working on below the cut off point for higher tax will be better off than a person on the dole now?

I don't think so. But I am open to correction.

Pack in your job, check in with everyone here in 2 months. I'd say your better off working but that doesn't suit the welfare bashing narrative of boards. So anyway you'll be handing in your notice when exactly?

lol at those complaining about the 5 euro increase. If you think the welfare system is so good in this country, why don't you just give up your job and sign on then ? You'll have all the so called freebies that you are cribbing about
    Then who'll pay for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Allinall wrote: »
    Pretty insulting to a huge group of people - me included.

I live, work and socialize in Ireland and
    don't consider myself to be stupid in any way.

Agreed. Believe it or not I like Ireland, and jesus heaven above I actually like Dublin too. Yeah I wish it was a bit cheaper and you got better value for money ,but the way some posters go on you'd swear that anywhere else would do, and wherever they're living has absolutely no social or economic issues at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

MayoSalmon wrote:
    You see people don't expect the government to fund their entire adult life so they educate themselves and get on with it. Scoungers just make their way up to the post office every week and for some reason that has merited an extra 5 euro a month

A week actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    What?! If everybody signs onto the dole who do you think will pay for that? Like if nobody is working how is that funded?!

Then who'll pay for it?

We're not far off the 5% unemployment rate of boom times. The extra 5 euro will be mainly going to the pensioners and disabled.

That 5% will always be there or thereabouts. If you count that people will be between jobs, temporarily ill/sick, or any other numerous reasons, you will always have a few percent on the live register. It can never go to 0%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much have smokes gone up, and what is their price now?

the_syco wrote:
    How much have smokes gone up, and what is their price now?

Up 50 cent, 12 euro? average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What is amount you can earn without paying tax, is that a stupid question?
    Does everyone pay USC, or is there a threshold

Then who'll pay for it?

The working people who decide not to jack in their job for the highly luxurious dole life

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Up 50 cent, 12 euro? average.

Does that include rolling tobacco ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Prime time is like a load of oul ones bickering at bingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

OMD wrote: »
    You are looking at tax and welfare reforms only which is an incorrect way to look at it.

For example minimum wage is going up by 30c an hour which means the low paid worker (working full time) will get an extra €600 a year. Most workers can expect pay rises of the order of 2-2.5% next year meaning the majority of workers can expect to be well over €700 better off next year.

Those on welfare can only expect the increase announced in the budget so far from those on welfare faring too well, the gap between those on welfare and those working is increasing not narrowing.

Sorry but according to Prime Time with PRSI etc. the min wage worker working 40 hrs per week will just about gain 8 euro per week...but when you take into account the costs associated with working full time it will mean that questions will be asked, comparing low wage work to social welfare.

Out of interest I would love to see comparable figures associated with low paid work vs social welfare but I suppose it would be hard to determine based on family payments medical cards ages of kids etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Jack O'Connor is off again if anyone is watching Primetime. This man is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

€1 a week better off!

I'll buy a can of coke, eh, Diet coke!

Lose more in reduction in MIR tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

25c on the roll your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The lack of investment in infrastructure is chronic. I'd happily give up my cup of coffee every week for the start of MN

If you work in this country you're screwed.BUT if you lie in bed you get extras.
    Time the workers stood up for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

And all the evidence points to that that incentive being there, i.e. when the jobs are there, people will take them.

Full employment for Ireland is regarded as being somewhere between 5 and 6 percent. During the boom we were running below that, between 4 and 5 at the height of it. We're now back down to 6.1 percent, so not far off it again.

Although unemployment is falling in Ireland, employment is still low.

And we lead the EU in the number of people living in VLWI households.

VLWI = very low work intensity

Not sure, give up my interest 13 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement